Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Question after a week of reading

1901 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  AZ MSCL
CAI+Tune+180 Tstat=25 to 30 RWHP, Yes or No? Thanks
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
I would say no. Especially with a Diablo tune.
I would also say no, but qualify it with you will see better throttle response and butt dyno feeling.

BTW, to better help members answer your questions, won't you please fill in your vehicle information including year by going up to User CP at the top left toolbar and then editing your details. Thanks
I never dynoed my car before mods, so what I am about to say can be argued. Estimating a 13% power train loss, a 6.1 "should" dyno around 370, stock. With a CAI, tstat, slightly modified tune AND exhaust, I have a dyno sheet showing 395 RWHP. Keep in mind that frictional loses can vary from car to car, as well as HP at the crank under different conditions. So a 25 RWHP increase with my mods is a guesstimate at best.
If your car is a 5.7, I would say about 15 or so. The more HP the more $$ you will have to spend.
I'd guess 15 - 20 HP, but depends to some extent on the CAI. However, diablo tuner can make adjustments that make the car a lot more fun to drive. For instance if you have an automatic you can firm up your shifts, you can increase your shift points, rev limiter, turn off MDS etc... IMO the tuner is worth the price and allows for a custom tune down the road. Overall it can (especially if you have an automatic) make the car feel a lot better from the drivers stand point and should pick you up a couple tenths in the quartermile.
I should add that bigger gains can occur with a custom tune or by making certain adjustments to fuel and spark along with the addition of high quality fuel. These adjustments can obviously only be made after getting a tuner. When I was running my R/T I got a decent gain by advancing my timing over the 93 tune when done in conjunction with adding race fuel at the track. Working with a tuner to get a custom tune will help you get the maximum out of your vehicle whether you get a street tune or a race track only tune.
As 70Barcuda stated you pick up a few extra ponies with a Custom or CMR tune over the standard Diablo tunes.
Here's a link to an article where they show a gain of 18 HP by adding a tune to a 2006 Charger. That's a bit different 5.7 than what you have but does give you an idea as to the possibilities. http://moparmax.com/tech/2014/ix_10-diablo-1.html

Dyno results can be somewhat tough to judge as depending on the brand of the dyno can vary somewhat. However I think we are in the general ball bark. From personal experience at the track I think it will gain you a few tenths especially if you put the good fuel to it.
you're not going to see power from a 180* tstat and I'd honestly be surprised if you saw more than 5whp from a CAI.

Add a full exhaust and then you'll probably get those numbers.
This goes back a few years but I saw 20 with the mods you mentioned plus exhaust on my 2008 Charger.. 93 tune
As a newbe,,maybe you can help us solve this question once and for all,, If you accept the CHALLENGE,,, So many of us do mods before we do a dyno tune so none of us start with a good base number. Hemi engines produce more HP the better they breath. Even a different filter configuration can make a difference. We have shown in the past that the square filter has better air flow for example. Make your first mod a dynotune after you buy a tuner. Then start your upgrades. You will be loved here for doing so.. Please take the challenge even though it may sound ass backwards.
Forgot to mention,,, you will be surprised the HP gains by doing the dyno tune and tuner acquisition and the use of one of the canned tunes it provides if you just have it dynoed without a professional tune to keep the expense down. I would say that you will get more from doing it that way then by way of upgrading in the way your question implies.
Forgot to mention,,, you will be surprised the HP gains by doing the dyno tune and tuner acquisition and the use of one of the canned tunes it provides if you just have it dynoed without a professional tune to keep the expense down. I would say that you will get more from doing it that way then by way of upgrading in the way your question implies.
So you would like me to get a baseline and then push the 93 tune and last some custom changes to the 93 tune. We are looking at 4 hours on a dyno. I'll check the current hour rate and get back. All this would be after X-mas.
Reactions: 1
The 93 tune feels good in second gear. I'll pick up an R2C intake, BBK header and that will do me. Its my Wife's car
sounds good. that will work. :smileup:
The 93 tune feels good in second gear. I'll pick up an R2C intake, BBK header and that will do me. Its my Wife's car
CAI+Tune+180 Tstat=25 to 30 RWHP, Yes or No? Thanks
Me: CAI, SRT shorties, Corsa catback, custom dynotune, 180 tstat, 85mm TB got me almost 30 rwhp and 40-45 rwtq. True HP gains are not cheap and what you are listing might get you 5 rwhp, however, the right CAI will help make your car sound better and you will notice a little better response in the butt dyno.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.