Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I need some clarity here please.

I want to paint my half covers white with blue lettering. first problem is I can't find any white engine enamel so I'm confused on the temperature requirements. Seems the engine enamel has what I would call a mid temp rating of 500F...compared to VHT paint of 1200+.

my other question is the blue...somewhere here I found another article that said use Testors model paint for the numbers.

I understand the steps to be...clean, light buff, adhesion promoter, white engine enamel, clear enamel, then hand paint the numbers/letters with the model blue?????

does this sound about right?

any of you done white and if so, how does it stand up?

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I've not had it on there very long but Rajunz has used Testors spray paint on his engine cover and had good results. Based on threads with him it's what I'm using. What I'd do is spray paint the letters blue, then clear them, and then mask them off and spray the rest with white paint.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Jay...I wasn't even aware there was a testor's spray paint...thanks!

·
2,470 Posts
NP glad to help. Here's a shot of Rajunz engine cover I think he used blue pearl metallic for the color hopefully that helps.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
When i did mine, I cleaned the parts then scuffed them to promote adhesion. I used a plasticote base primer to help with paint adhesion. I did several very light coats, allowing 30 minutes between each one. Then I waited a day and used a krylon cobalt blue metalflake - same deal - several light coats, 30 minutes dry time each coat, follwed by a day of "rest". Then I followed with several coats of semi-gloss clear coat, 30 minutes each coat. Then I applied chrome trimming to selected spots on the engine shroud after waiting 24 hours.

I did that on my engine shroud, shock tower caps, fuze box cover and radiator panels. Pix is in the attached link.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/album.php?albumid=1362&pictureid=6967

Did them a year ago and no peeling or engine temp issues so far. I have read where some folks using white get a slight tan discoloration over time because of heat. I havent used white so I cant say if it was a specific application or just the color itself that is susceptible - good luck!

Reactions: Northernhawk

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well..add my name to those that say they get discoloration. The white has yellowed on me horribly and I'm embarassed to pop the hood. Back to the drawing board for me....that was a whole lot of time wasted!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,482 Posts
well..add my name to those that say they get discoloration. The white has yellowed on me horribly and I'm embarassed to pop the hood. Back to the drawing board for me....that was a whole lot of time wasted!
Just a suggestion, Andy! Why not do the pieces you had white in silver?

Reactions: jkelly16

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the silver isn't a bad idea at all. I really liked the white when it was shiny and new and it really fit into the image I had in my mind of what it would look like when done. Might try again with the white, but I don't like the chances!!! and ya, the heat is tough on the plastic for sure. Thought the engine acryllic would be safe, but apparently not!

my cup is always half full though so at least I have a new winter project!!!!

·
2,470 Posts
Sorry Andy,

Hopefully you wont need to strip the paint off and can just sand a bit before the next application. If you do have to strip it I found soaking in simple green seems to work fairly well for clearing the paint off. I had to do it for my engine cover insert.

Take it easy
Jay

Reactions: Northernhawk

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your paint troubles Andy! You know what they say. We never learn unless we fail. I have made plenty of detailing mistakes, wish I could do over!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts