Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a Scat Pack Stage 1 tuner, Magnaflow competition 3" cat back exhaust, It is a shaker so it has a CAI and I have a Hellcat air tube to add to it. I have JBA longtubes and Hi flow cat mid pipes coming. I talked to Mopar and they said as long as the headers aren't directly responsible for the Failure they won't effect my warranty and my extended at national said they are cool with headers. The Question; Does the stage 1 tuner have enough learning capability to adjust to the headers? Also, I am thinking about getting rid of the resonator on the air tube, I have two options, the Mopar aluminum tube or the plastic charger. I have read about aluminum holding heat so maybe the plastic Charger. I'd appreciate your thoughts. I have an oil can on it, I used a heat gun to melt the big hump underneath the resonator flat so it fits pretty well. Just don't care for the way it looks.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jazz blue for your response. Also I had sent an email with the same question to one of the big performance racing web sights and they tell me that I would not need a retune for either long or short tube headers but that I could get more power if I did but it wouldn't be necessary. So I am more confused then ever. I don't discount any info I get from the members on this sight as a lot of what I have done already comes from posts on here anyone else have any experience on this subject? I would appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with prefix, the company that arrow racing merged with, and talked to Dale. He said the Stage 1 has a 30% fuel ratio learning capability and that headers are about 15% with high flow cats. So there would be no problem with adding headers as it would learn to work with the extra air. Thanks again Jazz blue. I want the headers bad enough that I think I am going to do it. I'll let you know how it works out. Also Dale said that it is an open tuner for those who want to know.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sometimes the issue comes up, but can be dealt with by using 02 restrictor extensions as I was told, and I believe I saw it on here in some posts as well. Oregon has no emissions testing so not a problem there is it? I don't doubt what your saying Jazz, but Dale writes the programs for this tuner, so I hope he knows what he's doing, and the problems that will come up are easily fixed I think. The extensions would be a problem if we had emissions testing but I don't think there's a tech even in Idaho, which is the closest place, that would know what he was looking at if he saw them. I think it's worth a try, if you turn out to be right I'll buy you a double shot and admit I should have listened. Thanks for your help but I hope your wrong.:D

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey I got the headlight air tube installed. Remembered to take the filter out, thanks for the heads up frommmmm, hell I forgot who put that on here, but thanks. Easy install.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I got a Scat Pack Stage 1 tuner, Magnaflow competition 3" cat back exhaust, It is a shaker so it has a CAI and I have a Hellcat air tube to add to it. I have JBA longtubes and Hi flow cat mid pipes coming. I talked to Mopar and they said as long as the headers aren't directly responsible for the Failure they won't effect my warranty and my extended at national said they are cool with headers. The Question; Does the stage 1 tuner have enough learning capability to adjust to the headers? Also, I am thinking about getting rid of the resonator on the air tube, I have two options, the Mopar aluminum tube or the plastic charger. I have read about aluminum holding heat so maybe the plastic Charger. I'd appreciate your thoughts. I have an oil can on it, I used a heat gun to melt the big hump underneath the resonator flat so it fits pretty well. Just don't care for the way it looks.
When you said you got a Scat Pack Stage 1 tuner, what exactly did you mean?

#1 A MOPAR pre-programmed Scat Pack Stage 1 ECM?

#2 An unlocked ECM, with a tuner like the Diablo, and written tunes like Hemifever does?

What Jazz Blue SP 392 regarding the long tube headers and high flow cats told you is correct, I have heard though, that the O2 extender will work, but I don't know that for sure?

Sean at Hemifever tuning wrote a tune for me for the Magnaflow High Flow Cats throwing a CEL, but I used the lower hole, not the upper hole, on the high flow cats and so far it has not thrown a CEL.

But I am running shorty headers not long tube.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The tuner is a Mopar stage1, As I told jazz blue in a previous thread, I called prefix, who bought out or took over arrow racing and talked to Dale I believe is his name.
He is the one that writes the tunes for the scat pack tuners for Mopar, He said that the stage 1 mopar tuner has a 30% learning capability on the air fuel mix, his take was that long tubes with high flow cats is about 15% variance so the tuner should adjust to the air flow I get from the headers and mid pipe cats which only have One 02 hole below the cats.
I believe Jazz knows what he is talking about, but Dale is the one responsible for the Mopar scat pack ECM's tuning and he also told me that the tune is an actual tune not as radical as a say Diablo but a high performance tune non the less. He also told me that the ECM is unlocked so it is tunable by an outside tuner, I believe that SCT X4 has the codes for it, for one, although that would void my warranty.
So I thought I would take the chance and try it. There is always the mini cat extenders for a back up, but Dale and my Mopar Shop thinks it will learn and they can remove the CEL after it adapts.
While I'm at it I would also say as an update after a lot of research I went with a stock Charger air tube as it looks like it will more efficiently force the air into the throttle body with its funnel shape and transfer less heat to the air The aluminum looks a lot cooler, But I am more about what works then whats cool most of the time. Whats your take on all of this? I have an appointment to have everything mounted Sept.1.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
The tuner is a Mopar stage1, As I told jazz blue in a previous thread, I called prefix, who bought out or took over arrow racing and talked to Dale I believe is his name.
He is the one that writes the tunes for the scat pack tuners for Mopar, He said that the stage 1 mopar tuner has a 30% learning capability on the air fuel mix, his take was that long tubes with high flow cats is about 15% variance so the tuner should adjust to the air flow I get from the headers and mid pipe cats which only have One 02 hole below the cats.
I believe Jazz knows what he is talking about, but Dale is the one responsible for the Mopar scat pack ECM's tuning and he also told me that the tune is an actual tune not as radical as a say Diablo but a high performance tune non the less. He also told me that the ECM is unlocked so it is tunable by an outside tuner, I believe that SCT X4 has the codes for it, for one, although that would void my warranty.
So I thought I would take the chance and try it. There is always the mini cat extenders for a back up, but Dale and my Mopar Shop thinks it will learn and they can remove the CEL after it adapts.
While I'm at it I would also say as an update after a lot of research I went with a stock Charger air tube as it looks like it will more efficiently force the air into the throttle body with its funnel shape and transfer less heat to the air The aluminum looks a lot cooler, But I am more about what works then whats cool most of the time. Whats your take on all of this? I have an appointment to have everything mounted Sept.1.
Sounds legitimate to me, post what happens so anyone else viewing this thread will get the information that could help them. With my setup the shorty headers and high flow cats have really made a serious difference in performance, you'll be well pleased with yours.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I have my fingers crossed and I am getting a bit impatient. I used to do this stuff myself but its getting harder to get off the floor at 67. I have a lift for my harley's. Maybe it's time for a car lift. I'll post the results.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
1,603 Posts
I say good for you for calling dale at prefix he is a great person to talk to if you have questions on the scatpack stages pcms for the 5.7 engine. he also told me if my pcm was throwing codes for my header / high flow cat install he would adjust or tweek it but didn't think it would be necessary

Reactions: RyzRT and Johnnyreb

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I'm not done with my install yet ,got delayed my daughter came for up from nc for her birthday and it's been a 3 day party .glad to go to work today :confused:(did I just type that )just to sober up. should be done by Wednesday eve. i'll let you know. anyway dale is so cool and the fact he takes time for questions and replies with great detail is amazing. good luck with your install on the headers, and there is always 02 spacers if needed

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Thanks, I have my fingers crossed and I am getting a bit impatient. I used to do this stuff myself but its getting harder to get off the floor at 67. I have a lift for my harley's. Maybe it's time for a car lift. I'll post the results.
I feel you man, I'm 66, be 67 as well in a few months, we just can't do things like we used to, I just completed my shorty headers and high flow cats, but I could only work about 3 ~ 4 hours a day because of the heat.

Built a drive on ramp system in the back yard because jacking the car and using jack stands was getting to dangerous, the jack slipped once back when I swapped out the differential, and that prompted me to build the ramp system.

20190710_190859.jpg
20190709_125856.jpg

Works pretty good actually and a lot safer.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car is in the shop getting the exhaust put on now and tomorrow if they can or after the weekend if not the scat pack tuner will be put on. I feel like a kid at christmas. Some of us just never grow up I guess. Then I can start saving for the scat pack 2.:D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Sounds like fun. I was gonna go this way, Scat Pack Stage 1, but they ended up never offering it for the 2017 and up.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts