Dodge Challenger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
@Johnnyreb

So you have a 2016 Shaker, for some reason I thought it was a 2017, so your 2016 did not come with the active exhaust, I saw you put Magnaflow Competition 3", right, I know that sounds awesome!
You have Long Tube Headers as well, right? What brand are they?
Do you have high flow cats?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
T
Sounds like a lot on your plate trying to juggle everything you have to get done, so you are a gun smith as well?
Yes, It started out as a hobby but after 20 years has developed into a business. I set up a machine shop before I retired.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
@Johnnyreb

So you have a 2016 Shaker, for some reason I thought it was a 2017, so your 2016 did not come with the active exhaust, I saw you put Magnaflow Competition 3", right, I know that sounds awesome!
You have Long Tube Headers as well, right? What brand are they?
Do you have high flow cats?
Headers and high flow cats are JBA.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Regarding 0 ~ 60 time runs:
If I remember you have the 8 speed automatic transmission right?
Do you have a limited slip differential?
The 5.4 run had to have a lot of tire spin with everything you have done to your 5.7 your time should be under 5.0 seconds, the 2019 R/T 5.7L A8 can get a 4.9 I did that on one the wife and I rented to take a trip?

Now it did take a few runs with the 2019 and the best time was 4.9 so it did not do 4.9 consistently, the other runs were all above 5 seconds like 5.4, 5.6, etc., a lot of off the line tire spin all depending on the 245 tires and road surface.
It has a limited slip and the 8 speed. I get quit a bit of spin but I'm not sure that's why I'm so slow. The new tires seem to grip better, but I think my technique could use a little work as well. And I also think I over moded for the stage 1 tuner so that is hurting me. It seems to come alive at about 2800 rpms right now.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
1,570 Posts
Update on my 2016 RT plus Shaker. I got an Identical as Mopar, numbers 270 cam from Comp cams w/Phase Limiter, MMX Eagle CNC heads, .083 hardened Custom Push Rods. Skank Rocker Arm Stiffeners and a Stage 3 prefix tune w/ MDS delete and the car goes in on the 14th to get it installed.

I am overhauling the engine in my jeep and replacing the pitman arm on my Hay Baler to finish my hay right now or I could do this myself but I think the Mechanic I have picked out will do a good job.

Almost a done deal. I'll send you numbers after I'm done, but Dale at prefix says 60 Hp over stock the other guy says 80 HP we'll see. If its 60 that would be 435 at the crank. My average 0 to 60 right now is just 5.4.
mopar rates the 270 stage 2 cam at 47hp increase for the a8 , and 44 for the stick ,just for the cam . definitely a nice upgrade:cool:

Reactions: Johnnyreb and APG1

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
mopar rates the 270 stage 2 cam at 47hp increase for the a8 , and 44 for the stick ,just for the cam . definitely a nice upgrade:cool:
I hope that is true. They have a way of over estimating sometimes, although the Comp Cam shows the lift on the cam I chose as higher. Just under .500 for the 270 mopar. .615 on the intake and .609 exhaust on the comp # 201-426-17 which is the one I chose, but the same duration and lobe separation.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
1,570 Posts
I hope that is true. They have a way of over estimating sometimes, although the Comp Cam shows the lift on the cam I chose as higher. Just under .500 for the 270 mopar. .615 on the intake and .609 exhaust on the comp # 201-426-17 which is the one I chose, but the same duration and lobe separation.
actually under estimated it , when I bought my stage 2 kit luke at steve white said they had a challenger in the shop getting the cam installed and dynode at around 60 hp. are you sure on the lift of the 270 ,seems mine listed at .615 I ,609 e . i'll have to check the cam card .

Reactions: Johnnyreb

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
actually under estimated it , when I bought my stage 2 kit josh at steve white said they had a challenger in the shop getting the cam installed and dynode at around 60 hp. are you sure on the lift of the 270 ,seems mine listed at .615 I ,609 e . i'll have to check the cam card .
That seems to be the numbers I got, but I could be wrong. Take a look and let me know. The numbers you state are exactly what the Comp Cam is. I corrected the numbers in my post it should have said just under .600.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The car is in the shop but I did 2 more 0-60's just before it went, with the new michelin 275's on the back.

I don't know if it was the tires or the heat, the temp was 95 that day and the tires on the rear for the previous runs were michelin 245's same type.

I ran a 5.9 and a 6.1 and it spun like hell. That has to be the absolute worst it has ever done.

I hate having my baby in a strange shop, but I have everything farm related fixed and the engine for the Jeep is ready to go back in tomorrow so that should keep my mind occupied. I can really drive myself crazy given a little time.

Two questions, I am going to run regular oil for the first 1000 miles or so and then I am thinking about switching to syn Pennzoil or Mobile 1. Second I am considering a 180 thermostat. Anyone have any opinions as to the plus or minus of these changes?

I know these have been discussed before and I have read a lot of what's here, but was wondering if the mood has changed.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The car is in the shop but I did 2 more 0-60's just before it went, with the new michelin 275's on the back.

I don't know if it was the tires or the heat, the temp was 95 that day and the tires on the rear for the previous runs were michelin 245's same type.

I ran a 5.9 and a 6.1 and it spun like hell. That has to be the absolute worst it has ever done.

I hate having my baby in a strange shop, but I have everything farm related fixed and the engine for the Jeep is ready to go back in tomorrow so that should keep my mind occupied. I can really drive myself crazy given a little time.

Two questions, I am going to run regular oil for the first 1000 miles or so and then I am thinking about switching to syn Pennzoil or Mobile 1. Second I am considering a 180 thermostat. Anyone have any opinions as to the plus or minus of these changes?

I know these have been discussed before and I have read a lot of what's here, but was wondering if the mood has changed.
Johnnyreb, 95 outside is never going to give you a good 0 ~ 60 time as the pavement itself is more like 120 ~ 150 degrees, you should be able to lay down some good rubber though? For the record I run Mobil 1 5W20 Full Synthetic, as far as the 180 degree thermostat absolutely yes, the engine will run a little cooler with the 180. Usually in hot weather actual coolant temperature is around 185 ~ 190, 180 degrees is when the thermostat opens, that doesn't mean your coolant temperature will stay 180! All the Dodge engines were designed to run at a higher temperature as it has to get the catalytic converters hot to do their job.

But once you make changes like high flow cats or no cats?

So exactly what all are they doing to Johnnyrebs Baby?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Johnnyreb, 95 outside is never going to give you a good 0 ~ 60 time as the pavement itself is more like 120 ~ 150 degrees, you should be able to lay down some good rubber though? For the record I run Mobil 1 5W20 Full Synthetic, as far as the 180 degree thermostat absolutely yes, the engine will run a little cooler with the 180. Usually in hot weather actual coolant temperature is around 185 ~ 190, 180 degrees is when the thermostat opens, that doesn't mean your coolant temperature will stay 180! All the Dodge engines were designed to run at a higher temperature as it has to get the catalytic converters hot to do their job.

But once you make changes like high flow cats or no cats?

So exactly what all are they doing to Johnnyrebs Baby?

They are finishing my stage 3 for me. Modern Muscle Extreme CNC'd and flowed a set of heads for me with springs rated for 630 lift. Then I got a Comp cam with 615 intake lift and 609 exhaust, Phase limiter, hellcat lifters, custom hardened push rods with .083 walls and Stanke rocker stabilizers and a stage 3 tuner from prefix to go with my long tube headers and high flow cats hellcat air box and competition magnaflow exhaust. They are putting it all together for me. Mike pulled the engine yesterday.

You are right about laying rubber on my 0-60 run. I had it sideways for a little bit and had to start over on the second run. It's been a while since I had a car that would do that. It put a grin on my face, but not my wifes. LOL!

I will have them put a 180 thermostat in when they put it together. My Harley's made a believer out of me as far as the synthetic oil goes. I run mobile 1 in them and I am consistantly 12 to 20 degrees cooler out on the desert.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
@Johnnyreb

When are you supposed to get your car back?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Good question Ry. I called last Friday and the service desk said they thought Mike was pulling the Engine that afternoon. I called Tuesday and they said they would check and call back. They didn't. Today I went down and went out to the shop bypassing the desk. Mike said they were lying. He hasn't even got started on it.

Mike was arguing with the manager the day I dropped it off because they had scheduled three cam jobs two days before my car was due in and they couldn't get parts from Mopar and he had them all three tore down that day waiting for parts. Then they brought a boat in on Friday for some people from out of town on vacation and told him to fix it that afternoon. So he fixed that and the parts for the 3 cam jobs came in on Monday and Tuesday. He was finishing the last one today.

He said he was absolutely on mine as soon as this one was done and that he had told the desk not to schedule anything else for the next 2 days. I went to the front desk and they promised me that they would give Mike the next three days to do my car and would let him finish it.

That's the story I got. I believe Mike and I insisted that he was the only one to work on it sooo.

Here is an odd bit of news. All three cam jobs were on half ton trucks about the same year with 5.7 Hemis. They looked like fleet trucks. Why would they all need cam jobs at the same time? Are we looking at the oiling issue in effect? If they are fleet trucks or construction trucks, they would spend a lot of time idling. I worked on the freeway construction in the 70's and all those company trucks idled for 8 to 10 hrs a day.

What say you. or maybe it would be better discussed in that conversation.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
@Johnnyreb

Don't worry over the oiling if that was a legitimate concern mine would have blown long ago I am approaching 60,000 miles on mine, I think the oiling is more of a problem when the wrong weight oil is used.
Aren't you having MDS deleted with this cam upgrade, or not?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
@Johnnyreb

Don't worry over the oiling if that was a legitimate concern mine would have blown long ago I am approaching 60,000 miles on mine, I think the oiling is more of a problem when the wrong weight oil is used.
Aren't you having MDS deleted with this cam upgrade, or not?
Yes . Mds delete and hellcat lifters. I agree. There are a lot of cars out their that would be gone. I just found it odd that all three of the trucks were in for the same problem. But I didn't get a chance to ask Mike about them. I will.

I am mostly tired of waiting on this upgrade. First it was parts, now the shop. I told them I would have my Jeep running this week and if the car wasn't on the lift I was going to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
So I went down to make sure my car was being worked on Yesterday and once again bypassed the lying hack manager and went straight to the shop. Low and behold Jerry the manager had made mike start a brake job ahead of my car. Mike says I'm sorry man I have to do what my boss tells me. So I hunted the Manager down and went ballistic on his ass. I was yelling so load the rafters were rattling. I threatened to kick his butt, tried to get him to go out to the parking lot with me. I am surprised they didn't call the cops.

I gave him 5 minutes to get it in the shop to Mikes slot and he got it there in 2. It has been a long time since I have done that. I don't get it. He says it's because Mike is his best Mechanic and I am going to keep him tied up for so long he wants everything caught up first What the Hell, he makes the same money no matter what job they are doing.

I was afraid of this crap. The manager came out of a quick lube shop across the street and I quit going in there years ago because he was such a loser and sure as hell isn't a mechanic. He must have married into the family, but he fits in well with the sales manager and the franchise owner.

What ever, it is being done now and I went down twice that day to make sure they keep at it and plane to continue my trips until it is done. I also filed a complaint with Mopar and opened a case on them. For whatever good it does. Now I remember why I always do my own work. I could have started it Monday. I will finish up the Jeep tomorrow.

If you are in Eastern Oregon and thinking about buying a Mopar product private message me and I will give you the name of the dealership so you don't make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,268 Posts
Another forum I am on has a thread dedicated to dealers, shops and businesses to avoid. It also has another thread for everyone who deserves kudos. It might be a good thing to have here.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Another forum I am on has a thread dedicated to dealers, shops and businesses to avoid. It also has another thread for everyone who deserves kudos. It might be a good thing to have here.
I think it is almost a necessity. We need to know who we can trust. This stuff ain't cheap. Our problem out here in the netherlands is that I checked every Mopar dealer within 200 miles, that's 2 total, not owned by the same franchise and no one had a mechanic qualified to do it or wouldn't do it. And Mopars response to my complaint was, so far, We can't dictate who our shops work on first. Stellar. I own a Dodge Durango, A jeep wrangler and a challenger so it's not like I am not a loyal customer. Maybe I need to re think that.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I think it is almost a necessity. We need to know who we can trust. This stuff ain't cheap. Our problem out here in the netherlands is that I checked every Mopar dealer within 200 miles, that's 2 total, not owned by the same franchise and no one had a mechanic qualified to do it or wouldn't do it. And Mopars response to my complaint was, so far, We can't dictate who our shops work on first. Stellar. I own a Dodge Durango, A jeep wrangler and a challenger so it's not like I am not a loyal customer. Maybe I need to re think that.
Sounds familiar we have a 1996 Dodge Dakota, (Dead! Funeral years ago), 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, (with fixable problems, Hopefully?), 2015 Dodge Challenger, (with fixable problems), 2019 Dodge Charger, (No Problems so far, knock on wood! :) ).

The dealership I bought the Challenger from is the dealership I no longer trust, Rick Hendrix, CJDR of North Charleston, South Carolina, has completely lost my business! The reason: Assuring me they were going to put Full Synthetic oil in it and used Semi Synthetic instead, and were stupid enough to put in in writing on the receipt. After seeing the receipt I lost my trust for them completely, they have not touched my Challenger since then, I change my oil myself and I know exactly what I put in it! If you want to keep my business do not lie to me, because if I catch you lying, my trust is gone! Ry

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Sounds familiar we have a 1996 Dodge Dakota, (Dead! Funeral years ago), 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, (with fixable problems, Hopefully?), 2015 Dodge Challenger, (with fixable problems), 2019 Dodge Charger, (No Problems so far, knock on wood! :) ).

The dealership I bought the Challenger from is the dealership I no longer trust, Rick Hendrix, CJDR of North Charleston, South Carolina, has completely lost my business! The reason: Assuring me they were going to put Full Synthetic oil in it and used Semi Synthetic instead, and were stupid enough to put in in writing on the receipt. After seeing the receipt I lost my trust for them completely, they have not touched my Challenger since then, I change my oil myself and I know exactly what I put in it! If you want to keep my business do not lie to me, because if I catch you lying, my trust is gone! Ry
Absolutely, Do not jack me around and don't lie to me. I would rather you tell me the truth and not like it then lie to make me happy and not be able to deliver.

I know dealerships have a reputation for dishonesty that is ancient history but the Ford garage sold me a new 4 wheel drive truck every three years for 20 years, the same salesman, always treated me right. Then when the new owner took over they sold me one truck and I never bought another because of the dishonest way they fixed the price so you couldn't see it. The same guy owns the Dodge Dealership and the one in the neighboring town and one 130 miles away. You have to go at least 200 miles to not do business with him. Usually I do. My fault I knew better and thought well maybe they won't do it this time. Wrong they tried and the only reason I bought the car is because the young kid that sold it too me felt so bad he gave up his commission if they would honor the deal we made.

Now I go thru this crap trying to do business with them. It is not worth the hassle. I'll do it myself from now on.

I also hate losing control of my temper like that. It has caused me a lot of trouble with the law over the years. I finally learned to keep my hands to myself when I got older but I came really close the other day

121 - 140 of 141 Posts