Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I looks like you've got a set of quad tips... Is this a 2.75" stock exhaust? Where did you find quad tips that fit?
I found them on ebay from a company called Hybers. They are made in China I am guessing but they are perfect fit on the stock exhaust. When I first installed them I used the factory clamps and they held up well. I felt they stuck out a little too far and shortened them a little and welded them on. They were available in black and chrome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm kind of new to working on my own car since I never had a garage of my own and hardly any tools. That will soon change. Just wondering if there is a cheaper way than going with something like quickjacks that would work for changing wheels and oil and such? Would car ramps work ok without moving as you drive up to them or is there a special brand?
Since the car sits so low to the ground it would be tough to find a set of ramps with the perfect angle to drive up on. The bad thing about the Challenger is the independant rear that hangs on both sides when lifting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is that a low height and an all the way up height? Maybe the low height will allow the placement of blocks under the wheels to lift them and relieve the stress on the suspension.
There are two levels of lift height on these, both get the car completely off the ground. The photo I posted is at the highest point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Placing the weight of the vehicle on the body welds is not recommended. It takes 18 to 24 hours to complete vehicle, and at no time is it suspended via the body welds.

The 4 x notched jack points are not there to support the weight of the entire vehicle, they are there for emergency tire changes. Suspending your vehicle should only be done at the designated underbody jack-points.

If the idea is to preserve your radials, half-way through the season, raise the vehicle and rotate tires 180 degrees.
I only support the car on the designated jack points. There are rubber pads on the rear and I bought a set of ZL1 jack pads for the front.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Since the car sits so low to the ground it would be tough to find a set of ramps with the perfect angle to drive up on. The bad thing about the Challenger is the independant rear that hangs on both sides when lifting.
There are members on the Z who use a lead-in 2X8 or 2X12 to drive onto before actually getting on the ramp. This raises the front enough to get onto the ramp without the air dam/splitter hitting the ramp.
Other members have made elongated slopes to lead-in to their ramps.
As mentioned inflating the tires to their maximum pressure as stated on the tire will avoid flat spots. REMEMBER this isn't the driving pressure which is located usually in the door well.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,327 Posts
Placing the weight of the vehicle on the body welds is not recommended. It takes 18 to 24 hours to complete vehicle, and at no time is it suspended via the body welds.

The 4 x notched jack points are not there to support the weight of the entire vehicle, they are there for emergency tire changes. Suspending your vehicle should only be done at the designated underbody jack-points.

If the idea is to preserve your radials, half-way through the season, raise the vehicle and rotate tires 180 degrees.

If the pinch weld is strong enough for lifting the car for an emergency tire change, it is strong enough for extended support.

And each lift point is only supporting 1/4 of the car weight, not all of it.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
564 Posts
If the pinch weld is strong enough for lifting the car for an emergency tire change, it is strong enough for extended support.

And each lift point is only supporting 1/4 of the car weight, not all of it.
It's your vehicle, do as you like with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Exactly right derecho .. I have been storing my cars for over 35 years with your way. You and I use the same methods for winter . I have never ever had a problem with flat spots or starting . If mopar put jacking places to jack on I guess they must know they will hold the weight for any length of time.. USE DERECHO S METHOD AND YOU WILL HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS, EXPERIENCED AND PROVEN.. Also your not holding up 5 or 6 thousand pounds on the jacking points the weight is distributed equal on the 4 points.. 6000 lbs divided by 4 jack points is 1500 lbs on each jack point..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes you are right 68 coronet I would never leave my car up off the floor for 4-5-6 months. I have rug remnants that are double stacked and NEVER are the tires on the concrete floor , 40 lbs of air... Also I dont have a quick jack..

·
Registered
564 Posts
Maximize tire pressure, and you're good to go! Raising a vehicle for the purpose of storage is pretentious nonsense. It's also not good for the suspension. 1 or 2 weeks is okay, but extended periods should be avoided. I'd also use the designated underbody jack points. If you're set of raising it, I would remove the wheels. This will relieve downward pressure on the suspension.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
If you're set of raising it, I would remove the wheels. This will relieve downward pressure on the suspension.
Now that's interesting! I never considered that as an option! I can actually envision that as working! :sneaky:(y)

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Its not a good idea to leave a vehicle lifted very high overnight or for longer periods of time. This pickup was left overnight on a lift and it broke in half because there was too much gravity underneath it.

-John

😁

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,675 Posts
If I could afford it, this would be my dream set-up

·
Registered
564 Posts
Now that's interesting! I never considered that as an option! I can actually envision that as working! :sneaky:(y)
Just top-off your tire pressure and toss a cover on it. Elevated storage should only be done using a platform riser. These are used to address lack of storage and/or workspace... Lifting your vehicle for the sake of lifting is douchebaggery.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,327 Posts
Just top-off your tire pressure and toss a cover on it. Elevated storage should only be done using a platform riser. These are used to address lack of storage and/or workspace... Lifting your vehicle for the sake of lifting is douchebaggery.

.....and calling someone a douchebag for doing what they want with their car is not ??

:unsure:

·
Registered
564 Posts
.....and calling someone a douchebag for doing what they want with their car is not ??

:unsure:
I suppose it could be, if one were to call someone a douchebag. Let's face it, we are all guilty of douchebaggery on one level or another. I once dumped a girl who looked like Linda Carter's twin sister, merely because she didn't like me hauling-ass around on my RD350. Was this a blatant case of douchebaggery? Sure! What can I say... I loved my scooter! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
View attachment 272030
I am sorry I created such a stir with some anal-retentive Mopar lovers on this site. Please forgive me. I was merely referencing my love for the Quick jack. It hasnt been lifted all winter for the sole purpose of avoiding flat spots on my tires or fear that any mice would find it easier to find their way in. I have had it up and down continuously to perform certain tasks since the beginning of December last year. Please know that my car was not harmed in any way.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am sorry I created such a stir with some anal-retentive Mopar lovers on this site. Please forgive me. I was merely referencing my love for the Quick jack. It hasnt been lifted all winter for the sole purpose of avoiding flat spots on my tires or fear that any mice would find it easier to find their way in. I have had it up and down continuously to perform certain tasks since the beginning of December last year. Please know that my car was not harmed in any way.
Didn't mean to get harsh on you my MOPAR friend. I'm sensitive when it comes to Gibson Les Paul guitars, muscle cars and thin crust pizza. Very sensitive!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts