Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2011 R/T Classic with 20,000 miles on it. I've found a 2012 SRT8 6.4L with 7500 miles. The SRT8 has been on a Chevrolet Lot for over 90 days and they're close to being desperate to get it off their lot. Right now they only want $35,000 for it and the Blue Book has it going for just at $40,000. I've done a few things to the R/T: change the stripe, Hurst Shifter, Catch can, strut bar, Eibach lowering springs and sound system. But this sounds like a deal I can't pass up, especially a deal to upgrade. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I say go for it! A lot of those parts you could easily pull off and sell. In fact, if you do decide to, I have money set aside for your used catch can right now. I'm sure you could recoup a decent amount of your cash back by selling the parts! Go for it!!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,530 Posts
You can bet they aren't going to offer you a good trade-in value for your R/T. I would check that out first and if it seems low to you, consider taking it to a Carmax and seeing what they will offer for it. I've sen a lot of instances where the Carmax offer is well above the haggled tradein offer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why wait man? Of course better check and make sure there are no issues with the SRT. Maybe original owner started having problems and decided to bail on it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can bet they aren't going to offer you a good trade-in value for your R/T. I would check that out first and if it seems low to you, consider taking it to a Carmax and seeing what they will offer for it. I've sen a lot of instances where the Carmax offer is well above the haggled tradein offer.

You're right. They tried low balling me, saying that my 2011 Challenger R/T Classic with 20,000 miles is only worth $22K. I'm going over to Carmax when I get off today to get some real numbers.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
You're right. They tried low balling me, saying that my 2011 Challenger R/T Classic with 20,000 miles is only worth $22K. I'm going over to Carmax when I get off today to get some real numbers.
If you want real numbers, do NOT go to CarMax. They lowball with the best of them. Remember, they're a reseller, so they have to make profit off of your car. If you want real numbers, check out Cargurus.com and NADAguides.com.

I found the best website to determine my asking price was cargurus.com. You have to register, but there is no cost. Click the Selling link and proceed through the steps to create an ad to sell your car.

The best thing about cargurus.com is that after you create your ad, it will give you an instant market value based upon other similarly equipped Challengers listed for sale in your zip code. Click the edit listing button and Cargurus will provide a price estimator with a sliding bar that will allow you to set a competitive price based upon Challengers for sale in your area (ratings include very good, good, fair deal, high priced) and give you comparable listings for other Challengers selling in your area. Remove the ad when you're done.

For trade in value, forget about using Kelley Blue Book. Instead, go to NADAguides.com for a more accurate valuation of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I say go for it! Hope you get a better offer for your trade in value :smileup:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
If you can.....sell your R/T privately.....you'll get an extra $1,500 or so over trade-in. EBAY local is free and has worked great for me in the past. Also Cars.com is a great way to sell your car. Keep the money in your pocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go for the SRT-8 (assuming its not damaged or defective). I owned an R/T and it was a really nice car, but when I drove the SRT-8 I could not believe the difference in power, handling, and braking. You won't be disappointed with the SRT-8.

2012 Yellow Jacket SRT-8

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I currently own a 2011 R/T Classic with 20,000 miles on it. I've found a 2012 SRT8 6.4L with 7500 miles. The SRT8 has been on a Chevrolet Lot for over 90 days and they're close to being desperate to get it off their lot. Right now they only want $35,000 for it and the Blue Book has it going for just at $40,000. I've done a few things to the R/T: change the stripe, Hurst Shifter, Catch can, strut bar, Eibach lowering springs and sound system. But this sounds like a deal I can't pass up, especially a deal to upgrade. Any thoughts???
I say stick with your RT Classic, unless you plan to sell it yourself. Trading it in for an SRT, you will not get a good deal.
With your current car, you could supercharge it, for around 7K, and it will be faster then a SRT.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
most certainly listen to MoparMom on this one. Susie you are exactly right. good deals aren't good deals if they hose you on your trade. All comes down to difference in price that you pay...they'll make it sound like they are giving you a great deal on the new one!! Sell and then buy....

·
Banned
149 Posts
I say stick with your RT Classic, unless you plan to sell it yourself. Trading it in for an SRT, you will not get a good deal.
With your current car, you could supercharge it, for around 7K, and it will be faster then a SRT.
The above is definitely the truth.... I would refinance if possible and go with the SC option.

I would also agree with Looking at Ebay, and looking at CarMax (does not hurt to check) I would also check out trucar.com at least for prices paid ( I am not sure on the used values) Keeping in mind that the prices or deals people get avg in your area for new challengers, hurts the trade in value as well.

Currently you have a 3 model year car with 20k miles on it. Going out on a limb here, I would say you are probably safe checking the excellent or really good condition box on the online price guides. Realistically, without being insulting to you and not ever having seen your car, that price is not too bad. Not good, but not too bad. I believe they might have some wiggle room in what price they offer you on your trade, but I would not think they would give more than another 2k on that.

What is hurting you is, you are going from a used vehicle, to a used vehicle, there is not as much markup or wiggle room on either car. If you went for trading in on a New SRT8 Core, I bet you would get a better trade in offer only because there are more incentives and ways a dealer can hide the money you are losing/ paying for the new car. Especially if the dealer is already below MSRP by 5k on the SRT8.

good luck with whatever you choose, either way I am confident you have or will have a sweet car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Go for the srt it is worth it

·
Registered
997 Posts
Allot of great advise above, what's the hurry. Wait anything over 90 days on the late they have to pay for it. They will come down, if you end up trading get all your mods off that you can. They do not give you any extra for them, you will be just giving them away.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got a great trade in for my 2010 RT Classic....and I have heard that the Challengers typically bring very good trade in value.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I understand your dilemma. As the owner of an R/T Classic, I've been faced with the same choice. In my opinon it comes down to brawn vs bling. Personally, I think the R/T classic is one of the best looking "models" (of course it is merely personal opinion) and the SRT8s that I've looked at are very plain- jane - almost sleepers. So...again, what is more important to you? Brawn or Bling? If you are equally satisfifed with the appearance of either model then by all means go for the power! Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've decided to lay off trading it in. They would only offer me 22K as a high price and that's without them laying eyes on it. This was just a want, not a need anyhow. I only drive my Challenger on weekends and getting the SRT8 would increase my current payments another $200. And the dealer is still marking the SRT8 lower almost every other day because he's trying to get it off his lot being that he sells Chevrolets.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I say keep the R/T also..Its only 20k miles..The devil you do know is better then the one you dont...Walk away,Tell them you can get a better deal elsewhere!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Remember the dealer is desperate to move the SRT. They don't want another Challenger in trade now. They will sweet talk you, get your hopes up, then hammer you on price while dangling the SRT keys in front of you. Know that going in.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
The SRT is a lot more car then the R/T. I know, I've owned both.

Someone commented they look like sleepers....I dunno bout that :4-dontknow:

You can SC but know what can happen when you do. If you depend on a warranty or have bought an extended one and something goes wrong with the engine the Dealer will say oh well.

In any case they are both great Challengers. Can't go wrong with either one.

In the end it is your choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts