Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a problem with a 285/40zR20 on the the stock 2011 r/t classic rim?? Or go 275?? I want something meaty on the rear but not ready to be making major changes

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chip it??

I can get a chip from dodge for 600$ is it worth it? Good idea or bad idea? I also want to beef up the sound and get a nice old school chunky sound, what's the best route? Exhaust? Headers? Cam??
I've built a nice big jeep as a toy, however mopar muscle cars are all new for me, any suggestions or ideas would be great

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
I can get a chip from dodge for 600$ is it worth it? Good idea or bad idea? I also want to beef up the sound and get a nice old school chunky sound, what's the best route? Exhaust? Headers? Cam??
I've built a nice big jeep as a toy, however mopar muscle cars are all new for me, any suggestions or ideas would be great
Engine chips are snake oil. For the same money you can buy a top-end tuner such as a Diablo Trinity which will allow you to do much more with your engine than you could with a chip. See Tuning - 2011 Plus

For suggestions on exhaust, headers, and cam check out the threads on the R/T Exhaust subforum.

Welcome to the Z!

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Back to the OP tire question. Do some searches here. There are several threads about what people are running.

·
Registered
22,668 Posts
Not sure what chip you can get from Dodge? They are bringing out a modified tune as part of the Scat Pack packages but I haven't seen anything about availability of that yet. Is that what you are talking about?

Most chips that are offered by aftermarket companies have proven to be a waste, however the Mopar tune associated with the scat pack packages should prove to have some value but no one (at least that I've read about) has tested one independently.

What has been proven to work has been the Diablo tuners which are available as the Intune and Trinity versions and are sold by numerous vendors here.

If what you are talking about is part of the Dodge Scat pack and you get it you may be able to be one of the first one's, so be sure to review it here if you do. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Go with Blastin' Bob's resonator delete kit. I bought an RT with this already installed. MUCH cheaper than other routes but a very agressive sound. My previous RT I installed the Corsa Extreme catback - about $1200. Sounded great but not as loud as the Blastin' Bobs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Widest tire you can officially mount on the classic wheels is 255 wide.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Widest tire you can officially mount on the classic wheels is 255 wide.
This is true. However, if you can find a shop that will install, a 275 will barely fit, physically. I had the same issues and contemplated widening the classic wheels. In the end, was easier just to purchase new wheels , so I went the Rocket Boosters as the have a similar appearance and was able to mount a 285 on the rear with a 10" wide wheel, w/very little side bulge. American also makes a pretty close representation of classic 5 spoke.
As far as "chips" , in modern cars there are no such things. Since OBD2 came out, tunes are directly downloaded to the stock computer. "Chips" are the computer chip from OBD1 cars that were physically removed and replaced with a another w/ updated tune. They haven't been used since 1996. Check out Diablo for tuners. they are the most popular and have tunes for many different vehicles. Tuners run from about $300 to $600 depending on what kind of tuner you get. Dodge hasn't released it's tuners , which will most likely cost way more than aftermarket and do less. Your money, your choice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Does anybody have a problem with a 285/40zR20 on the the stock 2011 r/t classic rim?? Or go 275?? I want something meaty on the rear but not ready to be making major changes

Thanks
Yes they won't fit. You need to get at least 9 inch rims. 275 will work with Heritage Rims.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Chips are scams! Best to get the Diablo Tuners.

For sound, as I see you have a six speed, the cheapest and great sound for the exhaust is the BB reso deletes. I have had great compliments on the sound of this. Also get a catch can, and splash guards. Stealth splash guards look great on the car and protect your fenders from chips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts