Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying the cirvinis Ram Air Kit sometime within the next month or so to utilize my hood vents. My question though is will I have any clearance issues with my Petty Garage strut bar? I called Cirvinis and even though they were very nice they had no idea if there would be a problem or not. Anyone tried this combo?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Call'em back, and if they're that awesome, ask for detailed dimensions. Not just the LxWxH shipping dimensions, but specifically measurements for changes in depth (where it'd come into play with your strut brace). If you still can't eyeball or visualize it, make a quick cardboard mockup. If you're really thinking about dropping the dough on a Cervini's ram air, it's really not that much work to do.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,761 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying the cirvinis Ram Air Kit sometime within the next month or so to utilize my hood vents. My question though is will I have any clearance issues with my Petty Garage strut bar? I called Cirvinis and even though they were very nice they had no idea if there would be a problem or not. Anyone tried this combo?
Call Pettys and ask them, they have probably seen that combination before.

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
Adding one of these systems will do nothing to add to the performance of the vehicle. Reason being that when these cars were tested in the wind tunnel, the column of air passing over the hood is 2-3 inches over the air vents. These vents are actually in a very bad spot and the engine has to work harder to pull air in through these vents. The real high pressure area is at the bottom of the windshield. This is why all the NASCAR prepped cars have an intake system designed and ducted to pull air from this area and why the Chevrolet "Cowl Induction" was the only factory option that actually worked. The vents in our hoods are for looks.... Not for functionality.

-John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Adding one of these systems will do nothing to add to the performance of the vehicle. Reason being that when these cars were tested in the wind tunnel, the column of air passing over the hood is 2-3 inches over the air vents. These vents are actually in a very bad spot and the engine has to work harder to pull air in through these vents. The real high pressure area is at the bottom of the windshield. This is why all the NASCAR prepped cars have an intake system designed and ducted to pull air from this area and why the Chevrolet "Cowl Induction" was the only factory option that actually worked. The vents in our hoods are for looks.... Not for functionality.

-John
Yeah, I was just trying to help a dude, but giving the facts about "ram air" and functionality are probably much more helpful and enlightening.

The only thing my "functional" stock scoops do is drip water all over my engine bay. I wonder if Cervini's systems take any additional steps to prevent water from reaching the intake filter.

Go get an LMI or make a Frankentake and be done with it. Until you start thinking about forced induction.

·
Administrator
53,761 Posts
Yeah, I was just trying to help a dude, but giving the facts about "ram air" and functionality are probably much more helpful and enlightening.

The only thing my "functional" stock scoops do is drip water all over my engine bay. I wonder if Cervini's systems take any additional steps to prevent water from reaching the intake filter.

Go get an LMI or make a Frankentake and be done with it. Until you start thinking about forced induction.
Yes they do there are drip holes at the rear air collection points.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are two versions of the Petty's strut bar. If you have the first version (looks similar to the MOPAR one), then it will fit. If you have the 2nd version, I don't know.

The Cervini's kit does not provide "Ram AIr"; but, it does provide cooler air to the intake charge. There is a video on youtube showing a piece of paper being sucked in at the air inlet when the engine is revved, with the Cervini's kit. Whether it's worth 300 beans is up to you. At least you can say it's functional in that it does provide a cooler inlet charge.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Administrator
53,761 Posts
There are two versions of the Petty's strut bar. If you have the first version (looks similar to the MOPAR one), then it will fit. If you have the 2nd version, I don't know.

The Cervini's kit does not provide "Ram AIr"; but, it does provide cooler air to the intake charge. There is a video on youtube showing a piece of paper being sucked in at the air inlet when the engine is revved, with the Cervini's kit. Whether it's worth 300 beans is up to you. At least you can say it's functional in that it does provide a cooler inlet charge.
Exactly!!!!!:smileup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I have is the double bar (2nd version). I'm aware that it's not true ram air, that's why I put the quotation marks ;-). It's just the idea of having the hood scoops from the factory that was open since I have the classic actually pull a little more cool air into the intake. Plus for 300 that's as much as you're going to spend for airaid system, so figured I'd go for a more factory look.

·
Registered
94 Posts
these scoops on are cars are designed to vent hot air from the engine compartment. they were never designed for ram air. want ram air? get a 4th gen Pontiac WS6 trans am ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
these scoops on are cars are designed to vent hot air from the engine compartment. they were never designed for ram air. want ram air? get a 4th gen Pontiac WS6 trans am ;)
This has been discussed over and over to the point of irrellavancy. NONE of the factory or aftermarket "RAMAIR" works as true ram air, including the Pontiac versions of ANY model. Ram Air is a marketing ploy and all thoses systems, including the Pontiac version do is provide cooler air to the intake charge. The Challenger version does it just as poorly/or well as the 4th gen trans ams. True ram air only takes effect at very high speed, above 90-100mph. At "normal" speeds, there isn't enough of a "RAM" effect to ram anything except bugs into your intake. As mentioned in this and other threads, research has shown the best place for induction is at the cowel, like NASCAR, Z28's and Chevelle's do, or through the grille and lower frontal surfaces. Don't get too high on your Pontiac horse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard the thing about engine heat too. If that was the true case then why didn't Dodge make all the challengers have functional vents? I am also again well aware of it not being true ram air. I like the looks of it plus I like how it brings cooler air into the intake other then the regular CAI's

·
Registered
37 Posts
LMI true cold air Cai would do better for the same price and give you a bump in horsepower

·
Registered
313 Posts
LMI true cold air Cai would do better for the same price and give you a bump in horsepower
I'd be leary of ant CAI manufacturer spouting hp #'s on a CAI alone. Most of those number include tunes, which skews the whole equation. How do they measure that hp increase? Answer: on a dyno. How does a dyno replicate how wind efffects a CAI , doing 60mph. Answer: it can't. The fans they use are to keep the engine cool, not as a replacement for wind.
Also, have you considered the hastle it take to clean and R&R that Legmaker? They need to be cleaned more often as road grime from that area is more prevalent. I know your response is, it's not much of a hastle TO YOU, but it can be to other buyers. For the money, NO aftermarket CAI is worth the bucks. They are mostly a feel good and look good pieces and that's it. The factory system provides more than enough air to supply even an SC'd car, which is why companies like Magnasun post it's numbers using a stock air filter and system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to the original question though. Does anyone know if it will workp or has this combo? Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience or card board to make a replica using the dimensions plus wouldn't I have to take off my insulation just for the cardboard to work? Seems to be easier and less time consuming to ask the community.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts