Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So back in February an 18 year old in his moms maxima failed to yield the right of way and turned across my lane; totaled my 2019 sxt plus.

I was devastated and furious with the insurance company. Since I have been driving my backup truck, and have been exhausted dealing with work at the hospital.

But I miss my challenger so much, I have been looking for it’s replacement off and on since.
I am overly picky when it comes to car shopping. I only buy new, and know the exact packages I want so it takes forever to find the vehicle.

And honestly i just got done putting up with these stealerships a year ago when I bought the last one; this was not supposed to happen. I should t have had to deal with these people for another 9 years....

I mean seriously.... today I found one in 1500+ miles away from me. MSRP is in the 55.8k, Ask them if it’s still there tell em my situation, ask em what they can do price wise. They seriously come back with 57.3k......
I’m over it, I’m not even in the mood to talk to these people anymore.
Guess I just won’t own anything nice anymore. I’m tired of hemorrhaging money, so other people can destroy my stuff and hold me back in life.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,522 Posts
So back in February an 18 year old in his moms maxima failed to yield the right of way and turned across my lane; totaled my 2019 sxt plus.

I was devastated and furious with the insurance company. Since I have been driving my backup truck, and have been exhausted dealing with work at the hospital.

But I miss my challenger so much, I have been looking for it’s replacement off and on since.
I am overly picky when it comes to car shopping. I only buy new, and know the exact packages I want so it takes forever to find the vehicle.

And honestly i just got done putting up with these stealerships a year ago when I bought the last one; this was not supposed to happen. I should t have had to deal with these people for another 9 years....

I mean seriously.... today I found one in 1500+ miles away from me. MSRP is in the 55.8k, Ask them if it’s still there tell em my situation, ask em what they can do price wise. They seriously come back with 57.3k......
Guess I just won’t own anything nice anymore. I’m tired of hemorrhaging money, so other people can destroy my stuff and hold me back in life.
That is not a good dealership!! There are some good ones out there. I hope you continue to search and please don't be discouraged, keep trying. Hopefully other members will chime in
here and give you some other ideas. Sorry about your 2019 sxt. That is really too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
I know you sound particular, but this place might pick up your spirits just by the sheer quantity of new Challengers at great prices...Deal online/via phone, strike a deal and then Fly in Drive Home...Koons Dodge. I've heard this place is great on price and inventory. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would also recommend you don't "ask" them what they can do on the price. That puts them in charge. You should take on the dominant role and tell them what you expect. If they don't offer it to you, be prepared to leave. Most dealers wouldn't allow it to get to that point though. Just do your homework so you are demanding a good but reasonable deal.

·
Registered
457 Posts

The folks here on the Z have got your back.

Where are you located? What packages do you want?

I take it that at a MSRP of $55,800 you're looking to significantly upgrade from your SXT Plus.

There's a dealership GM that is part of the Jacksonville Area Mopars group that has been very helpful to a number of people in finding the right car at the right price. Now ... he's not going to give away something relatively rare like a 50th Anniversary edition or a highly optioned Hellcat Redeye, but he's been very helpful in finding a normal car.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,347 Posts
Deal exclusively with Fleet Managers. In most dealerships, FM's also tend to be the Internet Sales manager. Either way, it's preferable to deal with this type of manager since (presumably) they don't have to get approvals on your counter-offers like a regular salesman. Also print out TrueCar valuations. If a dealership is affiliated with TrueCar, they are obligated to honor the printed offer or risk losing their affiliation. The same goes for CostCo and AAA car buying services, and other similar car purchasing agents. Also hit up Car Gurus and search for your target dealerships to review their inventory. Target Challengers that have been on their lots for more than 90 days. Dealership sales staff are constantly under quota demands to move older stock because newer cars are being constantly ordered, especially in the fall when the next year's models start arriving on showroom floors.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Price is not fact only an opinion.

First you need to make it clear when you step on the dealer lot you are there to buy a car. If not at this dealer at some other dealer. You have a list of cars. Not all need to be the same make/model but all should be in the same price range.

Don't tell the dealer your "situation". Do you think with a sob story they'll take pity on you? No way. (BTW, this can work the other way. I was negotiating to buy a car and the deal was looking like it was not going to happen. The salesman brought out a picture of his kid in a wheelchair... The deal didn't happen. I walked. (Oh no pun.))

1500+ miles away? That's a fair distance to negotiate a car purchase. I like to shop globally but buy locally.

Chances are you were talking to a salesman and he's going to play price games with you cause that's all he can do. He wants the car to go for a good price as that's his commission. He can only say "no" and he will -- and that counter offer of $57.5K was a "no" just phrased differently.

You need to present your offer to the sales manager or general manager. These are the only people in the dealership that can say "yes" to an offer, and a low offer at that.

Unless you are at the dealer it is hard to know who you are actually speaking too. And in one case when I was trying to buy a car at a dealership the salesman would take my offer to his manager. After a while he'd come back with a sorry and no deal. After 2 of these I got suspicious and after letting him get a bit of a head start I followed him. I followed him to the break room where he was smoking a cigarette (this was some time ago back when you could smoke in a business). I walked. You have to be sure your offer gets to the person who can accept it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The folks here on the Z have got your back.

Where are you located? What packages do you want?

I take it that at a MSRP of $55,800 you're looking to significantly upgrade from your SXT Plus.

There's a dealership GM that is part of the Jacksonville Area Mopars group that has been very helpful to a number of people in finding the right car at the right price. Now ... he's not going to give away something relatively rare like a 50th Anniversary edition or a highly optioned Hellcat Redeye, but he's been very helpful in finding a normal car.
I am currently located in northeast Oklahoma. And yes, I am looking at more car this time. Im after a Scat Pack Widebody, Plus package, Convenience group, 8-speed Automatic, Preferably the Alpine with sub group, or the harmon kardon with sub. Indigo blue or gomango orange.

There was one in Clovis NM that was perfect. all that, and nothing extra to run the price up. had them negotiating down to 46k out the door but instead saying yes, i put it off and the car sold before i was ready. so i KNOW they can go at least this low or close.

the problem i run into finding them is they tend to have a bunch of extras i either do not want or that just run the price up. or red interior..... or they ran the price up 1300-2000 swapping the wheels and tires... do people seriously not like the devils rims that come on the widebody?

I will try taking the lead and naming the price first the next time i find one.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,522 Posts
I am currently located in northeast Oklahoma. And yes, I am looking at more car this time. Im after a Scat Pack Widebody, Plus package, Convenience group, 8-speed Automatic, Preferably the Alpine with sub group, or the harmon kardon with sub. Indigo blue or gomango orange.

There was one in Clovis NM that was perfect. all that, and nothing extra to run the price up. had them negotiating down to 46k out the door but instead saying yes, i put it off and the car sold before i was ready. so i KNOW they can go at least this low or close.

the problem i run into finding them is they tend to have a bunch of extras i either do not want or that just run the price up. or red interior..... or they ran the price up 1300-2000 swapping the wheels and tires... do people seriously not like the devils rims that come on the widebody?

I have special ordered both of my Challengers, and will do so again when I am ready to trade. I get exactly what I want. You can still deal with the salesman when you special order. The car also hasn't been sitting on a lot for 6 months getting contaminents in the paint! Or getting washed a couple times a month by someone who scratches the heck out of the paint!

·
Registered
457 Posts

You can tell that the plant being closed has reduced inventory a bit. I found a few in the right price range but they were either a 6-speed or they weren't Wide Body cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing wrong with being picky man its a LOT of money. I am picky myself. The dealers are a special kind of low human being (Im sorry if any of you are dealers on here, but you know you guys screw people for a living to get those commissions.) People will always mess your nice shit up, they'll ding your doors scratch your paint, cats will run across your hoods and birds will crap on it every chance they get. But in the end its all worth it for that mopar smile on your face. Hope you get into the car you want, the scat pack wide body is my dream car hope to get into one myself some day.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Make sure you actually check the dealer's websites themselves as the Dodge.com search tool is a total joke, it will never find even a close match unless you just get lucky. If you can take another color or two, it would help you find the right car from the right dealer. I started out using the search tool and even when I duplicated a car sitting on a lot locally it didn't find a match. I had to go over 50 miles away to find cars I wanted and when I got to Detroit are dealers, they came in bunches, exactly as I wanted them. Weird thing is, the first car I looked at in March of '18 is the car I bought in July, as I just couldn't find a yellow jacket one that was less than 200 miles away or had the right equipment. After a last second sale of a yellow car, I ended up picking TorRed from the 7 colors of identical cars they had in stock at the dealer it came from.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

Check Car Gurus.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1 Posts
To avoid back and forth negotiations and huge disappointments, you can join an environmental group called Tread Lightly. For a $100 annual membership, you get to take advantage of the Chrysler Affiliates Program. The program allows you to buy or lease a Chrysler Group vehicle for 1% under invoice, plus all rebates that you qualify for. There are some cars that don't qualify like the Hellcat, I think. No negotiations, no hours of lost time. I've used it twice and saved thousands, plus the membership fee goes for a good cause. I've factory ordered both times and they seemed happy to do it. The last time I used it was last August and ordered a Jeep Wrangler. It was built and delivered in about 3 1/2 weeks. Plus it's kinda cool to see your name on the window sticker! Tread Lightly sends out their membership packets on Fridays and you have to be a member for 30 days before you can use the Affiliates discount. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To avoid back and forth negotiations and huge disappointments, you can join an environmental group called Tread Lightly. For a $100 annual membership, you get to take advantage of the Chrysler Affiliates Program. The program allows you to buy or lease a Chrysler Group vehicle for 1% under invoice, plus all rebates that you qualify for. There are some cars that don't qualify like the Hellcat, I think. No negotiations, no hours of lost time. I've used it twice and saved thousands, plus the membership fee goes for a good cause. I've factory ordered both times and they seemed happy to do it. The last time I used it was last August and ordered a Jeep Wrangler. It was built and delivered in about 3 1/2 weeks. Plus it's kinda cool to see your name on the window sticker! Tread Lightly sends out their membership packets on Fridays and you have to be a member for 30 days before you can use the Affiliates discount. Give it a shot.
Thanks, I’m going to check that out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts