Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hearing what sounds like a metal on metal rattle/contact during extremely hard cornering. I can feel the vibration through the shifter, it doesn't seem to matter what gear it's in.
I checked the driveshaft loop and it's still secure, I don't see any scratches on the drive shaft.
I turned off BAS/ESP to make sure it wasn't the ESP engaging the brakes.
The chassis has 80k miles but is also 12 years old. What suspension bushings could be worn enough to allow enough flex to allow interference?
The only moving part the comes to mind is the driveshaft, but I'm not sure what would be contacting it.
Any advice or help would be appreciated. I'll try and get a video later this evening if time permits.
Edit: no center bearing, DSS 1 piece driveshaft

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,589 Posts
Could be the driveshaft center bearing being ripped , check that out.

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the driveshaft center bearing being ripped , check that out.
Thanks, but no center bearing as it has a DSS 1 piece aluminum drive shaft To connect the tremec to the hellcat rear differential. I'll check it again more closely the next time I'm under it. But I don't see any scratches that would indicate contact. I'm just curious what is flexing enough during cornering to make contact.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
Check the ball joint wear.
Check the torque on your lug nuts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
RH manifold to engine mount or LH manifold to steering shaft?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't looked there yet (y)
Doing the oil change this evening, I'll see if anything looks off.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the planned 30 min oil change & inspection turned into a 3 hour debacle...but I did find the source of the noise.
The actual oil change went smoothly, new K&N filter and 8 qts of 10w40 synthetic oil. The extra qt is due to the Derale stand-alone oil cooler.
The debacle: discovered trace coolant leak on bottom radiator coolant hose and found oil cooler had relocated itself and was no longer behind the lower driver side chin scoop (no airflow). Correcting both of these issues required removing the belly Pan and unhooking the bottom part of the chin spoiler.
Also discovered one of the elec fans may not be operational, the car was not up to temp but AC was on and only 1 fan blowing. More investigation on that this evening with AlfaOBD...
The noise/vibration appears to be coming from contact between the Barton shifter to front ds u-joint. There is also evidence of contact with the heat shielding further back. The DSS unit is much larger than the stock broomstick driveshaft.
I contacted the driveshaft shop about the grease from the front, they said it should not be an issue and it would start vibrating long before failure. Everything is still tight so I'll keep an eye on it. If anything does happen the loop should catch it.

The fix: Remove offending heat shields. Remove trans cross member, modify/shorten the trans mount by 1" to move the trans away from the shifter. Or, move the trans brace down with 1" bushings and longer grade 8 bolts. I'm not sure if that would place it too low in relation to the ground. The latter option would probably be easier & safer.
Last option would be rear coil overs to slightly raise the rear of the car.
Also open to other options/advice... I'm getting too old for this shit lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,589 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem, and can fix it.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting the time and my old ass under the car will be the real challenge.
It's my DD so for now I'll just take corners slower lol

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
see, we aren't too old for this shit. if we were too old, we wouldn't keep on modifying our cars. they would remain stock, looking like everybody else's car. we do this for the love of the car and because we want to eke out just that much more power than someone else, and then show them how it is done. you got this chizzle. if you are anything like me, make sure the jack stands are at their highest point so that our heads will fit under the car. hahahahahahahaahaha

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the fans sorted out yesterday, it was a wiring issue.
Having AlfaOBD is nice, I can engage various devices without the engine running. Made testing the fans safer and easier.
The coolant still leaks trace amounts when the pressure is greater than 17 psi. I may pick up a 12 or 14 psi cap and call it good.... a little "roadkill" but should work.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
long term update: the rattle is still present.
It now occurs when traveling straight or cornering, accelerating lightly or coasting, in 2nd or 4th, when rpms are between 2200-2400.
If I bump the shifter to neutral it stops, I am thinking it's the shifter/linkage interfering with something.
Worst case scenario it's an internal transmission issue...the best case scenario is the shifter contacting the body where the shifter comes through the floor.
Either way I am going to get under it this evening and see if it's anything obvious.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally figured out what the noise was. One of the 8 bolts that secure the 1 piece drive shaft to the transmission front flange was backing out... The noise was from that bolt contacting the linkage when the transmission was in 2nd 4th or 6th.
In the process of replacing the front struts, once the front suspension is back together I'll raise the rear and rotate the drive shaft so I can check/tighten all the drive shaft bolts.
I did use lock tight blue when installing the drive shift a few years back, guess I should have went with the red instead.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got all 8 bolts tight using a 8mm alan wrench. Had to move the loop to get enough room to work, put the back up on stands to spin the ds around.
If it is still rattling I'm ditching the loop until I go with slicks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts