Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Classic, JLT Cold Air Intake, Unlocked PCM, Diablo Tune
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted, since the girl had been sitting mostly idle for a couple of years during Covid. Now that she's back on the road regularly, I've run into an odd issue. After she gets warm and at highway speeds, I start to get a pretty pronounced clicking sound coming from SOMEWHERE in the front of the vehicle. The clicking speed varies with acceleration and deceleration, and once it starts, it doesn't stop until the car either sits idling for a bit or is shut off and cooled down and started again. If I drive gently, I can actually avoid this sound starting at all. Zero PCM or TCM codes are being generated, so I don't think it's a powertrain issue. Brought her in to my local mechanic a couple of days ago, he checked a few things and test drove her and basically couldn't recreate the sound and didn't find anything wrong, however had her on the highway again today and BOOM.....sound was back with a vengeance. Anyone else run into this? I did suggest wheel bearing to my mechanic and he didn't think that would be it since he said a bad bearing/hub assembly would basically be noisy all the time. Help! I'm about to put some money into modifications to her, and just want to make sure I don't have any serious problem before I move forward.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,589 Posts
Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted, since the girl had been sitting mostly idle for a couple of years during Covid. Now that she's back on the road regularly, I've run into an odd issue. After she gets warm and at highway speeds, I start to get a pretty pronounced clicking sound coming from SOMEWHERE in the front of the vehicle. The clicking speed varies with acceleration and deceleration, and once it starts, it doesn't stop until the car either sits idling for a bit or is shut off and cooled down and started again. If I drive gently, I can actually avoid this sound starting at all. Zero PCM or TCM codes are being generated, so I don't think it's a powertrain issue. Brought her in to my local mechanic a couple of days ago, he checked a few things and test drove her and basically couldn't recreate the sound and didn't find anything wrong, however had her on the highway again today and BOOM.....sound was back with a vengeance. Anyone else run into this? I did suggest wheel bearing to my mechanic and he didn't think that would be it since he said a bad bearing/hub assembly would basically be noisy all the time. Help! I'm about to put some money into modifications to her, and just want to make sure I don't have any serious problem before I move forward.

Thanks all!
You need to get the driveshaft center carrier bearing checked out. Common problem.

Reactions: RyzRT and mike t

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Classic, JLT Cold Air Intake, Unlocked PCM, Diablo Tune
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,864 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
If it is the Drive Shaft Center bearing there is now a Fix available ...
It would be nice if there were Dodge customer reviews of this product with some happy customers.

Installing will not be a piece of cake as exhaust is in the way and the stock support bracket will have to be cut and removed out of the way, before installation can even begin, so pretty good mechanical skills will be required to install it.

Though this may very well be an excellent product, IMO, scrutiny needs to be observed in inspecting the previous damage. I refer to the picture I posted, how much damage has happened to the CV joint by the assembly being able to flop around like a dead fish.

As the recommendation by Dodge is to replace the entire OEM driveshaft.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,864 Posts
Was a poor design for sure when they changed the shaft setup for the 2015's - current. Like RyzRT says its a pita to fix even with that new replacement or even a shaft replacement and many do not have the ability to do it. The Service Charge is still expensive either way to fix in the end for those not Mechanically Skilled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks, you were correct. Had the shaft changed today. This is what the bushing looked like (pic below)
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

. Note that the carrier bearing/bushing assembly is not field serviceable, so the entire shaft needs to be replaced. My guy did it in 3 hours. Needed to drop the h-pipe back to get to it. Not really happy about the driveshaft failing at 49200 miles. I've contacted Dodge Customer Service on this. Will keep everyone posted on their response.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,589 Posts
Folks, you were correct. Had the shaft changed today. This is what the bushing looked like (pic below) View attachment 310227 View attachment 310227
. Note that the carrier bearing/bushing assembly is not field serviceable, so the entire shaft needs to be replaced. My guy did it in 3 hours. Needed to drop the h-pipe back to get to it. Not really happy about the driveshaft failing at 49200 miles. I've contacted Dodge Customer Service on this. Will keep everyone posted on their response.
Did you replace with a new OEM driveshaft ?

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
Folks, you were correct. Had the shaft changed today. This is what the bushing looked like (pic below) View attachment 310227 View attachment 310227
That looks almost identical to mine.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Tread

Now lets see if you can get the confidence driving the car back like you had before you discovered this failure and you are now driving on exactly the same thing with the knowledge some of these driveshafts have failed with less than 5,000 miles.

I could not get my confidence back I kept thinking about it, that is why I went with a one piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks almost identical to mine.

View attachment 310243

Now lets see if you can get the confidence driving the car back like you had before you discovered this failure and you are now driving on exactly the same thing with the knowledge some of these driveshafts have failed with less than 5,000 miles.

I could not get my confidence back I kept thinking about it, that is why I went with a one piece driveshaft.
I will likely do the same. My mechanic was actually trying to talk me into a one piece as he also thought the OEM design was likely to fail again, and he had replaced the two piece on his son's Mustang with an aluminum one piece with good results. And yes, every time I punch it now I am expecting the clicking to return......

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
And yes, every time I punch it now I am expecting the clicking to return......
That truly sucks!

But that is the reality of the issue, especially if you've seen the failure with your own eyes, and cannot stop thinking, I was driving on that, my loved ones were with me when I was showing what it could do, and I had no clue what was underneath! I know exactly how you feel! Ry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts