Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, has anyone removed one on a 2013 or newer specifically? The reason I ask is I know on the older cars (based on thread searching) they were held on with adhesive AND screws.

Then, somewhere, someone mentioned that the "newer" model years no longer have screws and only use the adhesive strips to hold the spoiler on to the deck lid. I am hoping this is true as I want to remove mine as I purchased the "Go Wing" from a fellow forum user...

Thanks!

PS I realize I can start pulling the underside of the trunk apart to find out for sure, I was just hoping maybe someone could answer the question before I do that...

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the screws are captive on the edges of the spoiler that attach to holes on the very outside edges of the trunk on my 2010. They are very easy to find, so I would check your '13 for them. That might help you get started.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I am hoping maybe someone with a 13 or 14 has removed one for some reason because I do remember someone from the "other" site, saying that there was a change on the 13's and that person seemed to be a reliable source. If it is truly only held on with adhesive, man, what a bonus, no holes to fill and no re-paint etc.!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Answered my own question. There are two studs with nuts on the outer ends that have rubber caps over the tips of the studs that hide the nuts. Remove the rubber caps and the nuts are right there. Once the nuts are removed lift gently on the spoiler with the plastic pry tools and it reveals the two plastic snap in studs. So there are four holes all total in the trunk lid. Then, inside the two white plastic snap in mounting tabs there are four foam, double sided adhesive tape. This is going to be a nightmare to separate. Guitar string I believe is in order...

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once it's off, clean up and assess the situation and see how difficult it's going to be to fill holes. Hoping maybe the holes will not be obvious and small "plugs" can be used instead of having to be welded and painted etc. Depends on where they are in relation to where the "Go-Wing" mounts etc.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Form reading your previous posts and seeing how particular you are, I don't think you're going to be happy with the "plug" method. Best to bite the bullet and get quality work done here.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
I'm not sure I'd use a guitar string - at least not a steel one - and especially not a wound steel one. A catgut string from a clasical guitar would probably work though. The wound steel strings work great for removing windsheilds but I'd use fishing line (Spider Wire) for removing anything where you don't want the painted surface chewed up.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well, it's off. Two things.

One, I did use a wound string and yes you have to be very careful because as jk just mentioned above you can very easily damage paint. I did scratch the paint on the under side lip of the spoiler, however, it is almost completely Un-noticable and I was using a wound string because it does cut through that stuff like nothing due to the fact that it is like a file. In fact it went through each of those thing is seconds. I clamped each end of the guitar string in a small Vise Grips and sawed back and forth as the double sided pads are aprox 2-1/2"x3-1/2" in size. They are not small little strips by no means!

Second, there are three plastic snap-ins and then the two threaded studs on each end w/nuts and rubber tips.

So there you have it, in the event you need or want to remove your rear spoiler. I will say, the paint under the spoiler is quite poor. It looks like they installed the spoiler while the paint was still wet. The paint at the ends where the studs are with the nuts, is not like you would expect. I'll take pics before I have the holes filled and the deck painted.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now to reinstall it. Ok, sounds crazy I know, but I had to know what was involved and get it "ready" for my painter friend. He is going to fix the holes and paint the trunk lid and paint a front grille insert (body color) for me at the same time. Then when the Shaker goes on everything should look pretty cool..

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I highly doubt there would be a HemiOrange non spoiler car to begin with. Only would be on an R/T or SRT and unless someone ordered it spoiler delete, that would be the only way it would be like that. And if they ordered it spoiler delete, not likely they would now want to trade. If mine were a color that was available in an SXT/SE model than it would be quite likely someone would trade lids...

·
Banned
149 Posts
I highly doubt there would be a HemiOrange non spoiler car to begin with. Only would be on an R/T or SRT and unless someone ordered it spoiler delete, that would be the only way it would be like that. And if they ordered it spoiler delete, not likely they would now want to trade. If mine were a color that was available in an SXT/SE model than it would be quite likely someone would trade lids...
Got to agree with the above for sure. Am also curious what the costs associated with this would be as well since I have been wanting to replace the blade spoiler on mine since I have had it and no one has a bright white trunk lid without a spoiler or with a Go wing spoiler who wants the blade style. The closest I found was someone in Georgia.

I did see a car with plugs and one which just had holes in addition to one which had vinyl over the holes and or where the Marred paint would be and the vinyl under the spoiler looked the best out of the above solutions. I cannot comment on the longevity or durability to it either.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As for cost, I am buying the Hemi Orange Pearl base paint and my painter friend is filling and painting the deck lid and the front grille insert for me free of charge. I have brought his a few complete restos/paints on a couple of ultra high dollar collectable Pontiacs and he wants to do this for me in return as I would not take anything for the referrals I sent him. This guy is the ultimate body man/painter that I have ever seen in my entire life. He is in his late 60's and been doing this since he was 12 years old believe it or not! The man is simply amazing!

I bought the Go-Wing from a fellow forum user for $100. It was a great deal and I am happy with it! it should look really nice in matte black on the Hemi Orange car.

·
Banned
149 Posts
As for cost, I am buying the Hemi Orange Pearl base paint and my painter friend is filling and painting the deck lid and the front grille insert for me free of charge. I have brought his a few complete restos/paints on a couple of ultra high dollar collectable Pontiacs and he wants to do this for me in return as I would not take anything for the referrals I sent him. This guy is the ultimate body man/painter that I have ever seen in my entire life. He is in his late 60's and been doing this since he was 12 years old believe it or not! The man is simply amazing!

I bought the Go-Wing from a fellow forum user for $100. It was a great deal and I am happy with it! it should look really nice in matte black on the Hemi Orange car.
can't ask for anything better than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.