Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Challenger skat pack, automatic, with 250 miles. I have recently noticed a ringing/whining sound at about 42 mph when I let off the accelerator. It sounds like it might be the rear differential. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
CW

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
They usually settle down with some mileage put on them.
No they don't, if it stays the same I would call it normal, if it gets louder then go see the dealer. I had my differential replaced because the whine was increasing in volume.

Reactions: Trimec T56

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,800 Posts
I have a 2021 Challenger skat pack, automatic, with 250 miles. I have recently noticed a ringing/whining sound at about 42 mph when I let off the accelerator. It sounds like it might be the rear differential. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
CW
250 miles you are still in the break in mileage for the car, check to see if there are any visible differential leaks, where the CV Axles enter each side, front driveshaft bearing, differential case bolt together line, etc. Also check to be sure the differential oil level is properly filled and topped off, oil level is critical as the tall gear slings oil to the top of the case inside coming down the walls to the side and front bearings. A low case level will not have enough reserve of oil left to saturate the what needs to stay saturated, and not enough oil in the case quickly causes wear.

Of course that will be if you are able to check that yourself, if not, get the service department to check it all for you, as there is a possibility you can get a brand new differential factory installed and it be a lemon. In my experience it is better to deal with a service department with some knowledge under your belt instead of being clueless and accepting whatever they decide to tell you. Even asking them to check for leaks and fluid level in the differential gives you an edge they won't see coming, even if you don't know anything about a differential.

Personally I find it absolutely amazing these new Challengers do not have a more critical break in period especially for the differential. When I changed my 3.07 Open or as Dodge calls it Conventional Differential to a 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, there were specific break in procedures for the brand new differential, but when you buy a brand new car none of those differential break in procedures are suggested to be done, at all. Ry

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,212 Posts
250 miles you are still in the break in mileage for the car, check to see if there are any visible differential leaks, where the CV Axles enter each side, front driveshaft bearing, differential case bolt together line, etc. Also check to be sure the differential oil level is properly filled and topped off, oil level is critical as the tall gear slings oil to the top of the case inside coming down the walls to the side and front bearings. A low case level will not have enough reserve of oil left to saturate the what needs to stay saturated, and not enough oil in the case quickly causes wear.

Of course that will be if you are able to check that yourself, if not, get the service department to check it all for you, as there is a possibility you can get a brand new differential factory installed and it be a lemon. In my experience it is better to deal with a service department with some knowledge under your belt instead of being clueless and accepting whatever they decide to tell you. Even asking them to check for leaks and fluid level in the differential gives you an edge they won't see coming, even if you don't know anything about a differential.

Personally I find it absolutely amazing these new Challengers do not have a more critical break in period especially for the differential. When I changed my 3.07 Open or as Dodge calls it Conventional Differential to a 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, there were specific break in procedures for the brand new differential, but when you buy a brand new car none of those differential break in procedures are suggested to be done, at all. Ry
For my 2018 Hellcat and now my 2020 Scat Pack I seem to recall the break in calls for limiting RPMs, and limiting speed (initially to a max of 55mph then after more miles to a max of 70mph) and avoid hard acceleration for the 1st 500 miles and abstain from track events, driving schools, etc. for the 1st 1500 miles.

I think the above is a nod to differential break in along with transmission break in and of course engine break in.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,800 Posts
For my 2018 Hellcat and now my 2020 Scat Pack I seem to recall the break in calls for limiting RPMs, and limiting speed (initially to a max of 55mph then after more miles to a max of 70mph) and avoid hard acceleration for the 1st 500 miles and abstain from track events, driving schools, etc. for the 1st 1500 miles.

I think the above is a nod to differential break in along with transmission break in and of course engine break in.
Many do not follow any break in suggestions at all Rockster, they drive it like they stole it, but the same suggestions you listed were the same for my wifes new 2021 Challenger as you stated.

My differential break in however was much more specific and critical, like driving no faster than 55 mph for 15 minutes then taking it back and parking it until it cooled completely down, then another 15 minute drive, for 5 times in a row with cool down in between and within the first of the 15 minute intervals going to an open parking lot and idling through 10 left turn circles, then 10 right turn circles, then 10 figure eights, which was supposed to seat the seals. The 15 minutes drives were to fully seat the seals and not overheat them, I felt extremely stupid doing the circles and figure eights in a church parking lot, but at least the law did not show up! :)

I've never had any problems from the differential at all, following that break in procedure, which was about 3 years and 40,000 miles ago now.

Edit: I think break in procedures are for those customers that want their vehicles to last as long as possible, but I have actually ridden with a salesmen that 100% violated every possible break in suggestion, just trying to sell me the car, displaying its power. I guarantee you the customer that actually bought the car had no clue what had already been done in it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Mine did that at around 80. Changed the rear diff. fluids around 30K mi and whine was greatly reduced if not eliminated.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,212 Posts
Many do not follow any break in suggestions at all Rockster, they drive it like they stole it, but the same suggestions you listed were the same for my wifes new 2021 Challenger as you stated.

My differential break in however was much more specific and critical, like driving no faster than 55 mph for 15 minutes then taking it back and parking it until it cooled completely down, then another 15 minute drive, for 5 times in a row with cool down in between and within the first of the 15 minute intervals going to an open parking lot and idling through 10 left turn circles, then 10 right turn circles, then 10 figure eights, which was supposed to seat the seals. The 15 minutes drives were to fully seat the seals and not overheat them, I felt extremely stupid doing the circles and figure eights in a church parking lot, but at least the law did not show up! :)

I've never had any problems from the differential at all, following that break in procedure, which was about 3 years and 40,000 miles ago now.

Edit: I think break in procedures are for those customers that want their vehicles to last as long as possible, but I have actually ridden with a salesmen that 100% violated every possible break in suggestion, just trying to sell me the car, displaying its power. I guarantee you the customer that actually bought the car had no clue what had already been done in it.
Yes, some owners do not follow the break in guidelines.That is their perogative. I prefer to follow the break in guidelines in the hope it will help the car deliver a long(er) and (more) trouble free service life than if I drove it like I stole if from the get go.

I question the 10 left turns then 10 right turns and figure 8s to "seat the seals". The axles are turning even if the car is going in a straight line. The seals will seat (if that's what seals do) from just driving the car normally. To avoid possibly overheating the seals because they are new and possibly have more friction keeping the speed down addresses that concern.

A salesmen is there to sell you a car. He's not going offer any negativity, will avoid doing nearly anything to kill your new car buying buzz. I would hazard a guess based on my experience that salesmen who violate every possible break in guideline are in the distinct minority.

I have been at some dealers to buy a car and the salesmen was quite well behaved in the car. I asked him to do a few things like take his hands off the wheel to see if the car veered any and to then apply the brakes to ensure the car stopped straight.

Only one time when a salesman had me out in a new car and he started to hot rod the car a bit I asked him not to. I was quite aware of how the car ran and needed no demonstration of its performance capabilities. Besides it was the car I was planning on buying and I didn't want him to beat on the car before I even bought it.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392- Smoke Show
58 Posts
The break in being done to my liking is why I order vehicles and watch them roll off of the trailer, or at least as close to that as possible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The break in being done to my liking is why I order vehicles and watch them roll off of the trailer, or at least as close to that as possible.
You are a smart man, making sure your new car has not fallen into the hands of animal(s) who want to practice being racers. When they come off the lot and have been test driven, they have likely taken a beating when not yet broken in. Performance mode has logs to show what the car has done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, have this exact problem but at 44mph.

I had the car maybe 4 or 5 months before it started. They replaced the rear diff but it's still there and is very annoying. It's in the shop again today (for the 3rd time).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Some are there from day 1 and just a matter of the driver finally noticing it..wow that’s a lot of r&r cycles it may be getting close to Heli-coil time on some bolt hole threads especially if they’re smacking in the bolts with a gun

·
Administrator
57,291 Posts
Did your new differential stop the whining?
For a while but it is back but very faint nowhere near as loud as it was. I have til the end of September before the warranty runs out so if it gets loud again before that I will take it back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For a while but it is back but very faint nowhere near as loud as it was. I have til the end of September before the warranty runs out so if it gets loud again before that I will take it back.
Thanks. Does the skat pack have positraction? I did not see it listed on my window sticker.

·
Administrator
57,291 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts