Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 weeks ago i had to change out the cooling fan on my 2014 Challenger RT. Something managed to break a fan blade ( I didn't have the bottom cover on and something jumped up while driving). Radiator. is fine and has no leaks. Engine light came on shortly after driving back home but was running fine. I live about 10 miles from where I was at, and it didnt start to overheat at the stoplight before my house so I was able to make it home. the Dash code showed P0481 (fan 2 Control Circuit). Replaced the fan and it runs fine with no issues, but the light never reset. So i got it scanned and it has alot of codes, are they related to the same thing? I've attached a pic of the codes it had. Can anyone point me in what direction to go?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
What is the freeze frame code? That is the code that triggered the CEL.

My WAG is it is this code:

B210A System Voltage Low

If so a low system voltage can result in a storm of other codes. Some I note are not active but pending.

Anyhow, the system low voltage error could just be due to a bad battery that just happened to pick now to go bad. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Or in swapping out the bad radiator fan you affected some other wiring or connector.

Did you check to see if the fan blade that was missing when it went missing it didn't cut or damage a wire?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one that comes up on the dash right now is the P0
What is the freeze frame code? That is the code that triggered the CEL.

My WAG is it is this code:

B210A System Voltage Low

If so a low system voltage can result in a storm of other codes. Some I note are not active but pending.

Anyhow, the system low voltage error could just be due to a bad battery that just happened to pick now to go bad. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Or in swapping out the bad radiator fan you affected some other wiring or connector.

Did you check to see if the fan blade that was missing when it went missing it didn't cut or damage a wire?

The one that comes up on the dash is the P0481 code. All of the wiring and grounded spots look to be totally fine. The battery is almost 6 years old now but has never had an issue with starting. Is it worth replacing reguardless at this point?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The one that comes up on the dash right now is the P0

The one that comes up on the dash is the P0481 code. All of the wiring and grounded spots look to be totally fine. The battery is almost 6 years old now but has never had an issue with starting. Is it worth replacing reguardless at this point?
The P0481 code appears on the dash but is that just because or is it because it is the freeze frame code.

P0481:

Rather than type this in let just point you to the link:

That error by itself doesn't seem capable of generating all those other errors.

6 years is a good life for a battery.

I'm not that anxious to encourage you to throw money at the behavior. I will say the alternator depends upon the battery for current to energize the alternator rotor so when the alternator spins electricity is generated. If the battery can't supply the power is erratic in its supplying the power the alternator can't do its job and the car runs on too low a voltage. This can trigger all sorts of odd behavior, warnings, warning lights, and OBD2 codes.

Before you just buy a new battery think about having the battery tested and load tested to see if it is showing any signs of its age.

You need to find out which is the freeze frame code. That triggered the CEL and almost certainly is the primary code of interest.

You can look at the list of codes and for those with "active" google "Dodge Challenger <code>" where <code> is the actual code like P0481 and pick on of the top links and read the details and see which code might be the one you should tackle first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The P0481 code appears on the dash but is that just because or is it because it is the freeze frame code.

P0481:

Rather than type this in let just point you to the link:

That error by itself doesn't seem capable of generating all those other errors.

6 years is a good life for a battery.

I'm not that anxious to encourage you to throw money at the behavior. I will say the alternator depends upon the battery for current to energize the alternator rotor so when the alternator spins electricity is generated. If the battery can't supply the power is erratic in its supplying the power the alternator can't do its job and the car runs on too low a voltage. This can trigger all sorts of odd behavior, warnings, warning lights, and OBD2 codes.

Before you just buy a new battery think about having the battery tested and load tested to see if it is showing any signs of its age.

You need to find out which is the freeze frame code. That triggered the CEL and almost certainly is the primary code of interest.

You can look at the list of codes and for those with "active" google "Dodge Challenger <code>" where <code> is the actual code like P0481 and pick on of the top links and read the details and see which code might be the one you should tackle first.

Sorry you kinda nda lost me on the one, how exactly do I find out about which one was the actually freeze frame code?

The Active codes are

P0693
Fan 2 Control Circuit Low

Radio Codes
B210A
System Voltage Low

It shows the P0481 as one listed under "confirmed codes" on the blue driver report

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,639 Posts
Have you tried to clear the codes and see if they return?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I did, the light was on first thing after clearing them as well. The codes listed were also after clearing them prior

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sorry you kinda nda lost me on the one, how exactly do I find out about which one was the actually freeze frame code?

The Active codes are

P0693
Fan 2 Control Circuit Low

Radio Codes
B210A
System Voltage Low

It shows the P0481 as one listed under "confirmed codes" on the blue driver report
My experience is with stand alone code readers which provide the option to read active, pending, permanent and freeze frame codes, and the snap shot data associated with the freeze frame code.

Not sure how to get the freeze frame code and data associated with it using the car's built in interface.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So about 3 weeks ago i had to change out the cooling fan on my 2014 Challenger RT. Something managed to break a fan blade ( I didn't have the bottom cover on and something jumped up while driving). Radiator. is fine and has no leaks. Engine light came on shortly after driving back home but was running fine. I live about 10 miles from where I was at, and it didnt start to overheat at the stoplight before my house so I was able to make it home. the Dash code showed P0481 (fan 2 Control Circuit). Replaced the fan and it runs fine with no issues, but the light never reset. So i got it scanned and it has alot of codes, are they related to the same thing? I've attached a pic of the codes it had. Can anyone point me in what direction to go?
Id check the wiring near the abs pump good. Youve got steering codes and fan codes still. sounds like whatever hit the fan did more damage then just what you seen. Check fuses in both boxes also. Ohm the wires to the fan out and see if continuity to the relays to begin with. Head scratcher for sure without the vehicle in front of me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took it for a drive yesterday to see what the dash showed for voltage output. It varied alot and ran as low as 13.3 and up to 14.1 at certain times, this isn't normal right? It should be a pretty steady 14+?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention in the last post that I did go in and swap the battery as it was bad and needed to be replaced, it's still showing the low voltage

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you also have the alternator checked?
I wasn't able to get the alternator load tested without an appointment and the next available appointment isn't until Wednesday. The alternator was replace about a year ago by the dealer as it was an active recall Was able to run the scan again and some of the codes disappeared. The freeze frame code is the P0481, the car has no troubles with running or overheating. Im at a loss on what to do next and can't afford to do too much right now with everything going on in the world right now 😪

1 - 16 of 16 Posts