Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty me amigos, I want to be prepared when I change the oil for the first time on my 5.7. I've already decided on Royal Purple oil, 7 quarts will be a little pricey but well worth it! Was just wondering if there was a recommended or "best" filter everyone was using on their R/T's?

Also just making sure I have the right thread size... Thread Size: 22mm x 1.5
is correct eh?

Thanks in advance! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind! I found the Mopar filter (#MO-899)

I was just trying to avoid always buying stuff through the internet, if I can find things locally I would rather do that, no wait no shipping fees!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,741 Posts
Can't recommend the Mopar they have leaking issues go with a Wix or anything else.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Can't recommend the Mopar they have leaking issues go with a Wix or anything else.
I have gone through ten already with no issues. The early problems were with the machined mating surface and not the filters.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm looking for a "low restriction" oil filter that Dodge is putting on their level 1 Scat Pac editions..I read where it's supposed to work with increase power. What does the low restriction do and where do I get the Mopar brand oil filter...? Thanks

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for a "low restriction" oil filter that Dodge is putting on their level 1 Scat Pac editions..I read where it's supposed to work with increase power. What does the low restriction do and where do I get the Mopar brand oil filter...? Thanks
Not sure about the low restriction bit but you can find the filter at Wal-Mart. Just go to their website and do a search for it and they will tell you all the locations it's available near you.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've read that on the mopar filter the micron filtering is quite poor and you're overpaying for the silkscreen labeling... IDK, I don't think I'd wanna give up fine micron filtering for a pretty label, not sure if there's any truth to that but why risk it...I know for sure the SRT labeled filter is way over priced...I just go with the extended series fram filters 6-8 bucks depending, It's a nice filter and it matches the HEMI'S block color, plus you know for sure the filtering is where it needs to be

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm just gonna pop down to my O'reillys store and pick up a Wix filter and the RP oil since it's all in one convenient spot!

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
+1 for Wix (Napa Gold). I might try out a Purolator Synthetic filter on my next change though.

·
Administrator
53,741 Posts
I have gone through ten already with no issues. The early problems were with the machined mating surface and not the filters.
People with 11s and 12s are still having issues at least on the Charger side. I really suspect the filters not the mating surface because switching brands seems to take care of it. My thought is the Mopar construction is inconsistent and that is what is causing problems.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm just gonna pop down to my O'reillys store and pick up a Wix filter and the RP oil since it's all in one convenient spot!

Plus it's a white filter with black logos, so it kinda matches your R/T and I'm sure that plays as a positive in your thinking, eh Dave? ;)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Plus it's a white filter with black logos, so it kinda matches your R/T and I'm sure that plays as a positive in your thinking, eh Dave? ;)
Psh, heck yea John! I was even thinking about dying my hair black and giving myself a "racing stripes" haircut... where would we be without themes? Driving boring Prius' that's where! :hah:

PS. Makes me wonder what the hottest news on the Prius threads are lol

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
Just wait till you start buying all your clothes in black & white! I don't think I need to buy anymore blue clothing!

·
Administrator
53,741 Posts
Just wait till you start buying all your clothes in black & white! I don't think I need to buy anymore blue clothing!
Nothing wrong with black and white :smileup:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Psh, heck yea John! I was even thinking about dying my hair black and giving myself a "racing stripes" haircut... where would we be without themes? Driving boring Prius' that's where! :hah:

PS. Makes me wonder what the hottest news on the Prius threads are lol
I dunno... power cord deletes?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I goggled it and found the WIX and Fram are the same oil filters inside and also found the highest rated oil filter is AMSOIL...they out perform every filter on the market but it will cost a little more for using the best...same lines along with their motor oil.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Purolator One filters consistently rank among the best on the market, if not THE best.

They have a new model specifically for synthetic oils, too: PSL24651 for the Challenger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts