Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

Next planned mod is headers (and the last and final engine work will be a 274 cam, and MAYBE a 90mm TB [I'm aware it may not be needed] and an intake manifold) and I was wondering who has first hand experience with them, and/or recommendations. Dyno charts or known HP gains post-tune are greatly appreciated if you have them available.

I've got a 2011 R/T M6, muff & reso delete, K&N CAI, 180 Tstat, and Sean from Hemifever's 91 Oct custom tune (including the Diablo i3 tuner, HIGHLY recommended and the best tuner I've used on any of my builds so far).

So far, I have come to the conclusion that it is a more or less 50/50 split on JBA shortys and BBK shortys.

I'm (unfortunately) in CA, so long tubes aren't an option yet. Hopefully Uncle Sam sends me out of SoCal soon.

Has heat soak been an issue for anybody regarding using non-ceramic coated vs. ceramic coated headers?

Any and all inputs, recommendations, or links to other threads will be met with thankfulness.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Another idea is to find some SRT shorty castoffs you can usually find them online or eBay for those who are selling after buying LTs. Or go to a custom shop - they will usually have a few lying around. I picked up a complete SRT exhaust for nothing that way - it was sitting in a castoff pile and the car it came off of had less than 5000 miles on it. Exhaust was in mint condition.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
dear john ,bbk shorties are not carb approved in California, so much for the 50/50 split:(

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I am in the process of putting BBK Shorty headers on my 5.7 now, and I just want to say whatever brand of headers you decide to go with is 10 times better than the stock manifolds on the 5.7 Challenger!

I have seen many stock V8 engine exhaust manifolds but none as pitiful as these are, it's almost like Dodge put these things on the 5.7 to govern down the car.

The exhaust manifold outflow hole that bolts to the catalytic converter on both sides have the flow hole opening 1/3rd restricted only 2/3rds of that entire opening are allowing exhaust gasses to flow.

If I had known what these things actually look like, the headers would have been the first mod I did, not the last.

I'm done working on it today, it's just too hot here now, but I'll take some pictures and show you exactly what I am talking about.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in the process of putting BBK Shorty headers on my 5.7 now, and I just want to say whatever brand of headers you decide to go with is 10 times better than the stock manifolds on the 5.7 Challenger!

I have seen many stock V8 engine exhaust manifolds but none as pitiful as these are, it's almost like Dodge put these things on the 5.7 to govern down the car.

The exhaust manifold outflow hole that bolts to the catalytic converter on both sides have the flow hole opening 1/3rd restricted only 2/3rds of that entire opening are allowing exhaust gasses to flow.

If I had known what these things actually look like, the headers would have been the first mod I did, not the last.

I'm done working on it today, it's just too hot here now, but I'll take some pictures and show you exactly what I am talking about.
RyzRt,

I have seen (and taken careful note of) your many inputs on this site, and your experience so far has helped me greatly. It seems like JBA's are my only option for now so I'll be going for that. I've seen the horror stories of the factory headers on these things so I'll be pulling the trigger on these soon enough. I plan on getting on the dyno some time this fall, so ill post up the numbers for everyone once I've got it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another idea is to find some SRT shorty castoffs you can usually find them online or eBay for those who are selling after buying LTs. Or go to a custom shop - they will usually have a few lying around. I picked up a complete SRT exhaust for nothing that way - it was sitting in a castoff pile and the car it came off of had less than 5000 miles on it. Exhaust was in mint condition.
Interesting idea, I haven't thought of that. Definitely worth some research on my end.

·
Registered
201 Posts
California doesn't really care about emissions or air quality standards. The bureaucracy known as CARB (California Air Regulatory Bureau) is just another means for the State to make revenue. This system is more Corporatist than not in terms of State favoritism of one Brand/Manufacturer over another. JBA exhaust manifolds are CARB approved for California emissions standards. What about other brands that meet Federal guidelines for emissions that are similar, if not the same design, that are not approved for California? The difference is that one company paid a fee to have their product approved to be marketed in California while the other company/s had not. It's all about money and California is one of the most greediest States in the US.

·
Registered
48 Posts
California doesn't really care about emissions or air quality standards. The bureaucracy known as CARB (California Air Regulatory Bureau) is just another means for the State to make revenue. This system is more Corporatist than not in terms of State favoritism of one Brand/Manufacturer over another. JBA exhaust manifolds are CARB approved for California emissions standards. What about other brands that meet Federal guidelines for emissions that are similar, if not the same design, that are not approved for California? The difference is that one company paid a fee to have their product approved to be marketed in California while the other company/s had not. It's all about money and California is one of the most greediest States in the US.
Thats what the Dems do, act like they care then take money under the table all about the money and votes! How dare you build your car up and have fun you have to live under government control so much for freedom...I bet most the other headers would pass the test and they would never know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats what the Dems do, act like they care then take money under the table all about the money and votes! How dare you build your car up and have fun you have to live under government control so much for freedom...I bet most the other headers would pass the test and they would never know.
They most likely would pass. These rules and regulations are not made up by engineers and scientists but, rather politicians and bureaucrats. Lets take a catch can for the PVC system for instance. The installation of one traps a majority of contaminants that can eventually effect the engine leading to higher levels of pollutants being emitted into the atmosphere. A catch can helps keep your induction system, intake valves, ports and injectors clean for a cleaner burning engine and exhaust. Still, a catch can is an illegal device. What is the logic in that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep little guys that have car have to live by rules yet California and New York have the most rules on the little guy yet they have the most personal jets! If they cared about the air they would limit personal jets not catch cans.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
na, pretty sure all the jets here have headers ,and catch cans:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another one to consider are the SRT8 exhaust manifolds for the 6.1 Hemi. They are virtually low restriction shorty headers and are a stock component.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts