Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by my local Meineke to see what they had to say about getting more sound out of my 12 RT auto. They suggested removing the factory mufflers in the center and keeping the rear resonators. I've heard of people doing the resonator delete but not removing the mufflers and keeping the resonators. I was also shocked that I had two individual mufflers instead of the big suitcase like i've seen in other pics on here. They quoted about $110 to remove the mufflers and put straight pipes in, and said I could always remove the resonators if it wasnt loud enough.

What do you think? Anyone just removed the mufflers?

I was originally thinking of having them remove the resonators and factory mufflers and installing some Dynomax mufflers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've never heard of going that route but I'd imagine it would work. Most people I have talked to or seen on this board opt to do the blastin bobs resonator deletes which would only cost about $110 plus the install cost, and they are designed to work with the factory exhaust system.

·
Registered
440 Posts
First I heard of this plan. I removed the resonators from my 2011 RT and was happy with the results. I have a noticable sound increase, but not to much. Only draw back is the drone at 2000 rpm with the MDS on. Fortunately I drive in autostick most of the time. Interested to know if this will pay off in the end. My 2011 also has the two mufflers rather than the single suitcase model.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Friend of mine did this on a 2012 Charger R/T. I have to say it
sounded really nice. No drone and not to loud. Thats the way I am
going. Best part is if you dont like it you can put them back on.

I aslo spent $1500 on a Borla cat back when I had my 2010 SE.
So much Drone, ended up trading it in for an R/T.

Trust me this is a great compromise, sound and Drone.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Friend of mine did this on a 2012 Charger R/T. I have to say it
sounded really nice. No drone and not to loud. Thats the way I am
going. Best part is if you dont like it you can put them back on.

I aslo spent $1500 on a Borla cat back when I had my 2010 SE.
So much Drone, ended up trading it in for an R/T.

Trust me this is a great compromise, sound and Drone.
Yeah coming from someone who has spent a lot on exhaust mods, doing resonator or muffler delete and/or cutouts will yield a much better sound than spending the $1000+ for a performance exhaust system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My '09 R/T (6-speed) has this done. It has the factory resos in the rear and the mufflers are cut out.

Deep sound at idle, opens up nice when you get on it; but not too loud creeping out of the neighborhood.

I like it.

Next up, I am going to add electronic cut outs and long tubes.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Seems those of you the had the auto with bottle mufflers, instead of the suitcase, did you also have the track pack?

For me with 6 speed and super track pack, I had the bottle mufflers, and went with the resonator delete kit from blastin Bobs. Sounds great and get constant compliments on the sound.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There was a Challenger at Mopars on the Mississippi this fall that sounded great. I asked him how he got the terrific sound, and he told me that he removed the mufflers and ran with just the resonators. I asked him about the drone, and he said there was none. He recommended this approach instead of buying an expensive exhaust system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i wish i new this i changed out my mufflers on my 12 r/t to flowmasters and left the resonators because i was limited on time so i'm going back tomorrow finally to take the resonators off.i should have just took the mufflers off and left the resonators and saved some money.now i have better mufflers but the sound is still to subdue because of the resonators but straight pipes going back to the ressonators would have sounded good.hopefully tomorrow once i take them off the flowmasters by themself should sound good.anyone have flowmasters resonator delete? does it sound good?

·
Registered
242 Posts
First I heard of this plan. I removed the resonators from my 2011 RT and was happy with the results. I have a noticable sound increase, but not to much. Only draw back is the drone at 2000 rpm with the MDS on. Fortunately I drive in autostick most of the time. Interested to know if this will pay off in the end. My 2011 also has the two mufflers rather than the single suitcase model.

I removed the mufflers and kept the resonators when i had my R/T sounded raspy i loved the sound , only draw back was i lost power on the low end , here is a vid i posted on youtube when i did it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXsZzWx1T4

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wish i new this i changed out my mufflers on my 12 r/t to flowmasters and left the resonators because i was limited on time so i'm going back tomorrow finally to take the resonators off.i should have just took the mufflers off and left the resonators and saved some money.now i have better mufflers but the sound is still to subdue because of the resonators but straight pipes going back to the resonators would have sounded good.hopefully tomorrow once i take them off the flowmasters by themself should sound good.anyone have flowmasters resonator delete? does it sound good?
I did the same thing in changing out the factory muffler's with Flowmaster 50's. It was noticeable but barely so I went back and they removed the resonators and we fired it up; definitely louder but,to me, a little raspy so I had them put 12" louvered glass packs on it place of the resonators. This is the sound I was looking for. I love the deep start up sound and then a quiet rumble as you take off. I find the sound while cruising very mellow and it sounds really great when decelerating. I tried to find any "drone" but really can't with or without the MDS.

I can't seem to figure out how to insert video clips like some who post do, so here is a YouTube link if you want to hear the comparisons as I changed things. You can also search YouTube for "Challenger Exhaust Evolution"

Good luck with modification. Sure is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=690y_uoETjA

·
Registered
108 Posts
i forgot to say i removed the resonators and it sounds sick but there is a lot of drone but that was suspected i guess.i think the glass packs would be nice so let me know what is a good site to buy them. i'm so glad i removed the resonators big difference

·
Registered
38 Posts
i forgot to say i removed the resonators and it sounds sick but there is a lot of drone but that was suspected i guess.i think the glass packs would be nice so let me know what is a good site to buy them. i'm so glad i removed the resonators big difference
Sorry for the delayed response but I have not been online for a few days. The glass packs are just generic and can be found on any number of online websites. I got mine from the local custom exhaust shop (WTB Exhaust) in Poway (San Diego area) Ca.

You'll see a lot of posts about "Blastin' Bobs" on the forums. The glass pack in place of the resonators is really the same thing. I think you'll like how it mellows out the "drone". Be sure to post if you do it and say how it sounds.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I removed the mufflers and kept the resonators when i had my R/T sounded raspy i loved the sound , only draw back was i lost power on the low end , here is a vid i posted on youtube when i did it
Forgive my ignorance in advance, but... What does that mean ? "Lost power on the low end".

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have the suitcase muffler on my 2011.. two turbo style mufflers on my auto.
I think 2011 was the first year they dropped the suitcase.
I want just a bit louder than stock, so I plan to first replace the mid body mufflers with two Dynomax Utraflows, and then see how it sounds. It should just be a hair louder, but I might be ok with that. I don't want any drone..so might leave the resonators as is.
If not, I would replace them with some glass packs..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the mufflers deleted and the stock resos, I get some drone. I am used to it, after many V8(s) with aftermarket exhausts.

I will say of all the cars I have modified, the stock pipes on the Challenger are pretty dang good. No real need to replace them unless you have major HP and need more exhaust flow.

If you want better sound just do one of the delete options or both, save your for Nitrous :) - Best bang for the buck IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am set to do the muffler delete on my 13 R/T auto tomorrow. You said you had some low end power loss, was it worth it? How bad was the loss?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I took the suitcase out and replaced it with magnaflows then replaced the resonators with BB glasspacks, but the drone at 70 was bad enough to take off the bb pipes and put the factory resonators back on, car sounds great going down the road and when you get on the throttle, but is a bit quiet at idle. i got used to it, its better than drone.

I put in magnaflows designed for an 03/04 cobra since i had them laying around and they were almost new, they are a bit smaller than the ones designed for the challenger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts