Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my first challenger. 2009 R/T with auto unfortunately. However it's all good cause I got a hell of a deal. Beside that, the car is SUPER quiet... I am getting ready to pull the mid muffler and am trying to decide if that's the best route or what... Definitely need to avoid drone for highway travel though...

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just remove the mid muffler entirely, leave the resonators near rear bumper. I put magnaflows at mid muffler and it sounds great under throttle, but is still too quiet at idle. I've gotten used to it now though. I can hear the supercharger better now.

Reactions: expresscruiser

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
I went with the Boral ATAK... no drone thankfully... It is pretty good at HWY speeds but you know you have the extreme end of the exhaust spectrum..

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I haven't seen many videos like this so... here is the before and after of the mid muffler removal. Its an 09 challenger r/t running off the stock resonators only.

·
172 Posts
Did mine yesterday. Pretty satisfied, has a nice rumble to it. Could still be a little louder!! Don't notice any drone with or without mds on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There was a Challenger at Mopars on the Mississippi this fall that sounded great. I asked him how he got the terrific sound, and he told me that he removed the mufflers and ran with just the resonators. I asked him about the drone, and he said there was none. He recommended this approach instead of buying an expensive exhaust system.
Cutting out the mid muffler's & running straight pipe to the rear made the exhaust sound better...?
I've gotta try this if I have it right

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just did this! It does make it about 50% louder? maybe 40%? But well worth the $100 to do it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this set up. Similar idea as the OP. I have a 2016 RT Road and Track. I had a Dynomax Catback on my 2014 AWD RT Sport and loved it. Good compromise of sound and performance.
What I was thinking about doing this time around is getting a universal X-Pipe like the one below or buy the 2.5" X-pipe from the Dynomax exhaust. Want to get a nice open chamber X pipe as the X-Pipe on the OEM Exhaust is virtually useless.... In the process I want to cut the OEM exhaust off between the Cats if I don't go with the Dynomax X-pipe and shortly after the Mid Mufflers and replace that with 2.5" pipe. I would keep the 2.25" from after the mid muffler back and keep the resonators. Towards the end of the exhaust you need velocity as the gasses cool vs. volume (Increase pipe diameter) so I think the 2.25" should not pose as a restriction. I want to keep the resonators. I don't want a drone monster.
Let me know your thoughts. This should cost about 1/2 of the Dynomax Catback but I think would have benefits so I am thinking of giving it a whirl in the spring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-A...ash=item1c5b5824a9:g:ExAAAOSwA4dWJFwx&vxp=mtr

·
God, Country, and Fast Boats!
89 Posts
i wish i new this i changed out my mufflers on my 12 r/t to flowmasters and left the resonators because i was limited on time so i'm going back tomorrow finally to take the resonators off.i should have just took the mufflers off and left the resonators and saved some money.now i have better mufflers but the sound is still to subdue because of the resonators but straight pipes going back to the ressonators would have sounded good.hopefully tomorrow once i take them off the flowmasters by themself should sound good.anyone have flowmasters resonator delete? does it sound good?
yes it does, but I want to remove mid mufflers as well...I have super 44s in rear (before tips) and stock bottle type mid mufflers...

·
God, Country, and Fast Boats!
89 Posts
On my challenger its straight pipe from the headers then two flowmaster 40s a lil distance behind the exhaust tips. Sounds great
That's exactly what I want, I have flowmasters before tips and stock bottle mid mufflers, usually people cut out mid and leave stock resonators in place...I want to do opposite. Straight pipe all the way back to flowmasters from the cats...Having the mufflers in back sounds different cause they are not under your seat...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I replaced the mid mufflers with Dynomax race bullets and left the resonators. Definitely a deeper tone and more bark when hitting WOT. Might look to replace the resonators with something smaller in diameter than the current factory resonators.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am set to do the muffler delete on my 13 R/T auto tomorrow. You said you had some low end power loss, was it worth it? How bad was the loss?
I hate to but in . To me no lie end loss is worth it. Unless your are nothing but drag racing most of us use our low end more than you too end. Why modify for loss.?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced the mid mufflers with Dynomax race bullets and left the resonators. Definitely a deeper tone and more bark when hitting WOT. Might look to replace the resonators with something smaller in diameter than the current factory resonators.
Do you have any pics of exhaust ? Any gain or loss of performance?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have any pics of exhaust ? Any gain or loss of performance?
No pics. No loss of performance. Didn't notice any gains from it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts