Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body get some advice on how to remove this rascal? I didn't trust them to do it, didn't want to run in to any issues, it's fairly skinny letters... I imagine it won't be too difficult to remove. Any ideas on how to remove it without messing with the paint?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Warm with a letters hair dryer and then use a piece of strong dental floss and work back and forth behind the letter. You may have to use a little goof off or something like that to remove any residual glue. Clean up with soap and water.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,555 Posts
Any body get some advice on how to remove this rascal? I didn't trust them to do it, didn't want to run in to any issues, it's fairly skinny letters... I imagine it won't be too difficult to remove. Any ideas on how to remove it without messing with the paint?

It's probably plastic letters and put on with dual sided tape. If so, use 15 lb monofilament fishing line and carefully saw between the letter and the trunk being careful to keep the line pressure off of the trunk and on the letter. Then use Go Gone(not Goof Off, had bad luck with it) to remove the adhesive. Be patient with it.

Oh, BTW, if there is one of those when I buy a car, I tell the dealer it's gonna cost them $100 to stay on. They can't get it off fast enough!

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Like the other guys have said use either dental floss or fishing line.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that's a good idea. I do believe I'll go with the line idea :smileup:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh, BTW, if there is one of those when I buy a car, I tell the dealer it's gonna cost them $100 to stay on. They can't get it off fast enough!

Good one:smileup:LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most of the dealer badges use a cheap adhesive. Generally you can just heat it a little with a hair dryer and use a plastic squeegee (like the kind you install tint or vinyl with) and just put a little pressure on it and it will come right off. Just go slow and you should have no problems. You can also spray a little WD-40 on the badge and let it soak for a few minutes. This will loosen many adhesives. You can also use WD-40 to clean up any residue left over. WD-40 will not hurt your paint and is great to remove road tar, baked on bugs and lost of other things.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,463 Posts
That WD-40 is truly a multi-use wonder can of stuff!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I told the dealer when I bought my car not to put one of these on there, and then proceeded to ask him how much I would be getting a month in advertising. He said no sticker and I bought the car. Car was delivered and I looked it over, drove it, came back and it took me maybe 5-10 mins inside to finalize everything. When I walk out its got a brand new dealer sticker on the back bumper still almost wet from them putting it on. I peeled it off right there in the lot still wet and threw it in the dealers trash can. Told them I'd be glad to spread the word where I got the car from since it was a good experience, and I'd be bringing my car for service but since they aren't paying me to advertise so I'm not going to have it on my car. :)

Agree with the above methods for this type of dealer badge.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I always make them remove their stickers before I take the car. That way if it does get messed up or they scratch something, they can fix it before I leave. So far though, they've never hurt the car removing that stuff.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The dealer should ask before plastering their name on your car. They are presuming that your are happy with them and the car deal...maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I made it a point that if there was to be no dealer stickers on the car. I said you can put one of the license plate things on, but I will be removing it anyway so save your money.

They complied nicely and there was nothing on the car when I went to pick it up.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,463 Posts
When I picked up my new Challenger, there were dealership plates in the holders, but they just knew better than to put stickers on a Challenger! I can't believe many Dodge dealers are dumb enough to put stickers on your new paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts