Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

I have a 2014 Challenger. I just got HID's put in but they are in the stock halogen reflector housings. Since the HID's are already in could I purchase the projector housings and do a direct swap?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have asked about this sometime ago to the dealer, apparently there needs to adjustment with the wiring, and it was ridiculously expensive to get the whole system; like over a grand for each headlight, and than some for the labour to change it.

I am interested in going for a mod I found on e-bay, and didn't pull the trigger until now, but I am going to now, since it looks a lot like the new 2015 challenger. The housing with the pre-assembled halo in it, maybe someone will be nice to point out the vendor even. I do not recall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A few companies make projector headlights with the halo already built in. Anzo is one such company. The other would be SPyder headlights.

I saw Spyder's product at SEMA in Las Vegas in late 2013. The product looked pretty solid. They are around 600 bucks if I remember correctly.

With my challenger i plan to buy a projector headlight, but without halo's. I have personally installed several dodge challenger Halo rings by Oracle Lighting. It's not an easy process, in fact Challenger headlights are about THE WORST headlights to bake apart, but oracle makes some of the BEST looking halo headlights. Just google Oracle Challenger.

To answer your question though Pix3l, you can use your HID lights in a projector lens , as long as it is aftermarket, The factory HID setup uses its own factory ballast and bulbs. The bulbs would be different. If you buy an aftermarket projector though, they will already be set up for your current HID bulb, if I am not mistaken. It should just be a plug and play swap.

The bumper does have to be removed though to get that headlight out, you take the 3 or so bolts out and you'll need to use a prying device to get behind the snap in ball that holds the headlight in. Don't pull the headlight, because you can break that ball tab. I hope this helps your decisions bud! Enjoy!

BlackRT09

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to know if I could do a direct headlight housing swap to projector lenses since my HID wiring is already done.

I did not do the wiring myself but from what I understand though, the original bulb was a bi-xenon meaning the housing just flips the bulb into another position and uses the 2nd filament. The HID bulb I assume is just 1 filament and uses a high/low power setting from the ballast, so when switched to high beam it uses the high power setting. Since it is original housing the bulb also flips up. For projector housings, it is just a shield that is moved to allow more light through.

Since I have it setup with a high/low power ballast, would any additional wiring need to be done for the projector housing or will it work in the same fashion as the reflector housing? IE: it will open the shutter when switch to high beam and also use the high power setting for the bulb?

With the amount of people on the road using HID's in reflector housings, I'd say at least 30% of the vehicles on the road blind the oncoming drivers and I'd like to not be one of those guys. If it's not going to be insanely difficult to get this done I'd just purchase the projector housings and do the swap, otherwise I'd pay for someone to retrofit it for me. It's definitely the next thing on my mod list.

Edit: I'm also noting from the previous post that I can't use stock projector housings because MOPAR uses different ballast/bulbs and wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pix3l,

no additional wiring should be needed. You are correct in assuming that the headlight hid bulb moving. In fact in a projector style housing it does the same thing. It moves into a different position to reflect more light out of the projector by moving the bulb farther away from the back of the housing. This makes the light shine in a higher direction. Its actually the same intensity, just repositioned. Hope this helps.

BlackRT09

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why can't a manufacturer come out and make a direct swap for the halogen housings to projector housing. Plug-n-play. It would be a certain item on every halogen housing challenger owner's (any model short of SRT's basically) list of mods I am guessing. I hope a manufacturer sees this opportunity at one point, it has been good amount of time as well that the model has been around for, and the lights have not changed at all until, well, now for the 2015 that's pretty much what has only changed.

Which is probably even more reason for everyone to want to do the swap to bring their car up-to date.

COME ON MANUFACTURER'S, DO SOMETHING THAT WOULD BENEFIT US ALL, YOU MAKE BIG PROFITS, AND WE LOOK GOOD :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts