Dodge Challenger Forum banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #242

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Shaker (5.7L, 6 speed manual)
88 Posts
Nope I have an R/T but the one for a Scat Pack is the same.

Still looks pretty beefy, I’m sure it’ll be more than up to the task! Let us know what you think once you get it installed.

also, an update regarding exhausts - I preemptively went for a new Solo center section in anticipation of any driveshaft clearance issues (and also because I wanted my car to be louder, I’ll admit). for anyone needing an aftermarket exhaust for the aluminum driveshaft, I’m told this resonator center section will definitely clear. The original may have too, if I find the motivation I’ll install both just to check clearance and provide the info for future reference.

comparison of the center sections:

B6135988-4416-4760-93A3-503737378407.jpeg
AE202032-5507-4A66-A5AE-382872C5B013.jpeg
76F08573-442A-48F1-B3C3-926F6B6DBA94.jpeg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Still looks pretty beefy, I’m sure it’ll be more than up to the task! Let us know what you think once you get it installed.

also, an update regarding exhausts - I preemptively went for a new Solo center section in anticipation of any driveshaft clearance issues (and also because I wanted my car to be louder, I’ll admit). for anyone needing an aftermarket exhaust for the aluminum driveshaft, I’m told this resonator center section will definitely clear. The original may have too, if I find the motivation I’ll install both just to check clearance and provide the info for future reference.

comparison of the center sections:

View attachment 262431 View attachment 262432 View attachment 262433
It is going in May for the driveshaft, stall converter, differential brace and electric exhaust cut outs. Should have done it this past May but I got sticker shock when I saw the quote for my Cam, Headers, High Flow cats., Thermostat, Unlocked PCM, installation and Dyno tuning include Transmission tuning. (That was just over 9k IIRCC). So finishing up the N/A part, if I go supercharged I want the Whipple with 11lbs of boost and GForce Axles or Whatever OST uses. Then I should be good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
BTW my exhaust is stock 2015 R/T except for a Reso Delete and my mufflers swapped for Thrush Welded. I hope it works or I'll be driving it home with no cat back

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good news: received a tracking number for my DSS aluminum driveshaft, should be able to install this weekend!

one question to anyone else who upgraded to ARP bolts - did DSS advise you to cut them to length? I received a call and they asked if I still wanted the bolts as they would need to be cut down approx 10mm each. I still took them, but I’m curious if anyone else had this feedback. Also wondering whether a 10mm spacer underneath the bolt head would do the trick.

one final note - I have my OEM driveshaft at a shop getting looked at to see if it can be repaired and what it’d take. Now that I have the DSS on the way it’s not as critical, but in the interest of helping anyone else in this situation I intend to still share whatever I learn from this route. If it’s cheap enough I’ll also have mine repaired and keep it as a backup.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Good news: received a tracking number for my DSS aluminum driveshaft, should be able to install this weekend!

one question to anyone else who upgraded to ARP bolts - did DSS advise you to cut them to length? I received a call and they asked if I still wanted the bolts as they would need to be cut down approx 10mm each. I still took them, but I’m curious if anyone else had this feedback. Also wondering whether a 10mm spacer underneath the bolt head would do the trick.

one final note - I have my OEM driveshaft at a shop getting looked at to see if it can be repaired and what it’d take. Now that I have the DSS on the way it’s not as critical, but in the interest of helping anyone else in this situation I intend to still share whatever I learn from this route. If it’s cheap enough I’ll also have mine repaired and keep it as a backup.
That is great news won't be long now!

I just had their normal grade 8 bolts, I will share this, they came with oil on them and I used some brake cleaner and cleaned all the oil so that it would not affect my thread locker, I used the Blue Medium grade on my bolts, torqued to 57 ft.lbs..

Install the transmission end in first with the indents on the differential hub at 12 and 6 o'clock and it will go right in, very close tolerance, you are going to love this single shaft, mine drives like a completely different car.

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
532 Posts

Mine came perfect length.. Im sure that it depends on the Alum. adapter size you have.. My 6 speed adapter was supper thick.. about 2.5/3 inches for my car.. some of the others are 1/2 that depth.. which i would imaging thats why.. I would measure your adapter and CV side to see how much thread engagement you have prior to cutting :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine came perfect length.. Im sure that it depends on the Alum. adapter size you have.. My 6 speed adapter was supper thick.. about 2.5/3 inches for my car.. some of the others are 1/2 that depth.. which i would imaging thats why.. I would measure your adapter and CV side to see how much thread engagement you have prior to cutting :)
good call, I’ll do that - I’ve got a 6 speed too so hopefully I’ll have the same luck and not need to cut bolts. Either way excited to finally have the car back on the road!

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
532 Posts
good call, I’ll do that - I’ve got a 6 speed too so hopefully I’ll have the same luck and not need to cut bolts. Either way excited to finally have the car back on the road!
Shoot me a pm message if you wanna talk i can go over the points I found on install

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
FYI: He has a 2015, he does not have an adapter plate!

The 2015 Single piece Aluminum or Carbon Fiber driveshafts from DSS and up, in years, do not have or need adapter plates.

At least the Automatic transmission shafts don't.

With as many improvements they have made over the years it does not even make sense they would need an adapter plate when all they would need to do it adjust the length of the aluminum tube for the fit difference without the adapter plate.

The Driveshaft Shop | 2015+ Challenger R/T / Scat Pack / SRT / SRT392 / Hellcat Manual 4" Aluminum 1-Piece Direct Fit CV Driveshaft - Manual - R/T - 2015+ - Challenger - Dodge - Domestic Driveshafts

And according to the website for the manual transmission driveshaft: >
This driveshaft for 2015+ models DOES NOT REQUIRE SPACERS

·
Registered
532 Posts
FYI: He has a 2015, he does not have an adapter plate!

The 2015 Single piece Aluminum or Carbon Fiber driveshafts from DSS and up, in years, do not have or need adapter plates.

At least the Automatic transmission shafts don't.

With as many improvements they have made over the years it does not even make sense they would need an adapter plate when all they would need to do it adjust the length of the aluminum tube for the fit difference without the adapter plate.

The Driveshaft Shop | 2015+ Challenger R/T / Scat Pack / SRT / SRT392 / Hellcat Manual 4" Aluminum 1-Piece Direct Fit CV Driveshaft - Manual - R/T - 2015+ - Challenger - Dodge - Domestic Driveshafts

And according to the website for the manual transmission driveshaft: >
the This driveshaft for 2015+ models DOES NOT REQUIRE SPACERS .. is about the transmission brace and pinion spacers :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Install in progress, started right before sundown and working by flashlight now - took a quick break to eat but it’s supposed to rain tomorrow so I’ll stay out here as long as it takes!

E01B686F-56C8-4F7B-91E4-A8A2B8A9CD84.jpeg

hard not to feel a little claustrophobic under here! Definitely a little jealous of those with access to a lift but this still works.
335AB6A9-556F-4B72-9376-789CB7556812.jpeg

3C42CAAC-B3AB-47C7-88F8-D62CF4706A49.jpeg

0B416769-8A78-410F-8AEB-D3A1CF1E86AF.jpeg

Will update once install is complete, so far not bad!

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
I did not reinstall the heat shield protecting the carrier bearing as it was not needed anymore.

Reactions: MSchoo92

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
yeah, I left that out as well - tried to put it in place but theres hardly any clearance as is, didn’t seem like it was going to fit
You are going to love the way your Challenger drives now, mine is like a completely different car, I know I sound like a broken record on that statement. It is hard to put into words, but simply stated it is so much smoother, that it does not seem like the same car. The transmission of the power to the rear is literally instantaneous, it would have been more noticeable if you had been driving all along and experienced a next day or two day change, as it was for me. But since you've had to wait so long you may just be so excited to get it back on the road you don't notice a difference?

By the way, how does your new exhaust sound? I noticed it has the H style crossover designed into it, that is a performance increase right there!

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are going to love the way your Challenger drives now, mine is like a completely different car, I know I sound like a broken record on that statement. It is hard to put into words, but simply stated it is so much smoother, that it does not seem like the same car. The transmission of the power to the rear is literally instantaneous, it would have been more noticeable if you had been driving all along and experienced a next day or two day change, as it was for me. But since you've had to wait so long you may just be so excited to get it back on the road you don't notice a difference?

By the way, how does your new exhaust sound? I noticed it has the H style crossover designed into it, that is a performance increase right there!
Honestly I think you’re right, between being so excited to drive it and having driven two very different animals for the past two months (Lifted grand Cherokee and the 74 roadrunner) its hard to compare to how it used to feel! Either way I’m certainly happy to have it running again, made a beeline for the highway as soon as I finished the install last night.

9213EBFA-438A-43C3-AE15-D63395C56A9F.jpeg

as for the new exhaust, it sounds great! Definitely more aggressive and a decent amount louder, but still non-intrusive and no drone so it’ll be good for daily driver duties. Yeah I’m surprised it has an h pipe, the previous one has a perforated x pipe inside that large center muffler so I’m not sure what the trade off is but nothing noticeable besides being louder. I’m happy with the new setup, and can’t wait to make up for the downtime and rack up some mileage(y)

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #260 (Edited)
Yeah I’m surprised it has an h pipe, the previous one has a perforated x pipe inside that large center muffler so I’m not sure what the trade off is but nothing noticeable besides being louder. I’m happy with the new setup, and can’t wait to make up for the downtime and rack up some mileage(y)
I think it was engine masters that did a You Tube engine DYNO test, with straight parallel duals, a H pipe setup, and an X pipe setup, they used the same mufflers in their test. Both the H and X pipe showed increased performance over just straight parallel dual exhaust, but the X pipe setup was actually quieter, it seemed the X pipe had a noise canceling effect. The performance between the H and X pipe were so close that it did not make much of a difference between the 2, but if they were after their exhaust sounding better that may be why they went with the H pipe. Your performance should be impressive with that new exhaust setup, what exhaust brand is that, and how much clearance did you have from the driveshaft?

Edit: I see it is SOLO Performance but what model # is that H pipe setup? When I search the SOLO website the only setup they show for the 2015 Challenger R/T is the first setup you had?

241 - 260 of 266 Posts