Dodge Challenger Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Shaker (5.7L, 6 speed manual)
88 Posts
I think it was engine masters that did a You Tube engine DYNO test, with straight parallel duals, a H pipe setup, and an X pipe setup, they used the same mufflers in their test. Both the H and X pipe showed increased performance over just straight parallel dual exhaust, but the X pipe setup was actually quieter, it seemed the X pipe had a noise canceling effect. The performance between the H and X pipe were so close that it did not make much of a difference between the 2, but if they were after their exhaust sounding better that may be why they went with the H pipe. Your performance should be impressive with that new exhaust setup, what exhaust brand is that, and how much clearance did you have from the driveshaft?
I’m happy with the performance, although the engine is still stock so the main benefit is the sound! Brand is Solo Performance, they make some great systems. With the MR2 resonator center section there’s plenty of clearance - I’m not so sure I would have had clearance with the single muffler but I may be able to measure and see. If anyone is ordering the catback I’d go straight for the MR2, sounds better and I can verify it has clearance on a 2015+ Manual trans challenger.

One other note - during install I had a brief “uh oh” moment, as my gap at the transmission CV was over 5”, and the sticker on the driveshaft specified 4” or so - turns out the spec on the sticker was for the auto setup, the sheet the driveshaft came with specified a gap in the 5” range for manual trans, I think 5.25”-5.75” which mine was within.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
I’m happy with the performance, although the engine is still stock so the main benefit is the sound! Brand is Solo Performance, they make some great systems. With the MR2 resonator center section there’s plenty of clearance - I’m not so sure I would have had clearance with the single muffler but I may be able to measure and see. If anyone is ordering the catback I’d go straight for the MR2, sounds better and I can verify it has clearance on a 2015+ Manual trans challenger.
I cannot find that H pipe SOLO setup you have at the SOLO website?

Reactions: MSchoo92

·
Registered
88 Posts
I cannot find that H pipe SOLO setup you have at the SOLO website?
its not listed, I believe it’s what’s used on the charger but modified for challenger. If you talk to Steve at Solo he’ll be able to help you, if and when you email them just explain you want the resonator center section and that you’re running the 4” aluminum driveshaft.

I definitely recommend them for anyone looking for a good exhaust without drone, they use a j-pipe (Helmholtz chamber) which cancels out drone frequencies and is adjustable. Another kit to check out would be magnaflows new x mod catback, it came out recently and also makes use of j-pipes for drone cancelling.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
its not listed, I believe it’s what’s used on the charger but modified for challenger. If you talk to Steve at Solo he’ll be able to help you, if and when you email them just explain you want the resonator center section and that you’re running the 4” aluminum driveshaft.

I definitely recommend them for anyone looking for a good exhaust without drone, they use a j-pipe (Helmholtz chamber) which cancels out drone frequencies and is adjustable. Another kit to check out would be magnaflows new x mod catback, it came out recently and also makes use of j-pipes for drone cancelling.
I am already running the Magnaflow Competition Cat Back system and it has the X crossover but sometimes I wish it was a little louder and the H pipe SOLO setup looks really good, that is why I was investigating into it as possibly a Christmas item to toss at my wife. But unfortunately me getting the 4" Aluminum driveshaft has probably already killed that Christmas splurge! :confused:

So I'll probably lower my Christmas expectations to getting 2 Pirelli 295s for the rear? Maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
The single driveshaft does have an effect on power to the rear, yesterday I moderately accelerated and it spun the tires when it changed to 2nd gear, it had not been doing that with that low of an accelerator pedal usage. I know my Challenger and how it responds to amounts of acceleration, That is new!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The single driveshaft does have an effect on power to the rear, yesterday I moderately accelerated and it spun the tires when it changed to 2nd gear, it had not been doing that with that low of an accelerator pedal usage. I know my Challenger and how it responds to amounts of acceleration, That is new!
after driving more today I can concur with this - I took off from a light moderately aggressive but not dumping clutch or anything, and to my surprise I got some tire spin when I took off. I would imagine the guys taking it down the 1/4 mile will notice the most!

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Put 295s on the rear they are an inch wider per tire vs the 275s and the single piece drive shaft is totally responsible for being able to just flat unmercifully spin them, not bad from a 5.7. :)

I had to do a little inner fender manipulating on the drivers side to keep them from rubbing the bottom of the fender liner.

When they grip the car just jumps forward, and pushes you back in the seat, very exhilarating actually!

IMO, just for my own piece of mind the price of the one piece driveshaft is worth every penny, but to get improved total performance from the car, is really a serious plus.

Not having to be concerned about this anymore:

So in summation, the car has the same 8HP70 automatic transmission as the 392 Scat Pack, rated past it's stock 485 HP output. And now, an over 1,000 HP rated driveshaft, sending the power to an over 700 HP rated Hellcat 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, so that drive line should have no problems handling my 5.7. We'll See! :) Ry

Edit: I was concerned about the .5 negative camber the car still has back there affecting the tire road contact in the rear so I did a full burnout and inspected the rubber left behind and it was full width on both tires making contact to the road, so the negative camber is not a problem.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,533 Posts
Now consider this....that just makes the 8HP70 the weak link....and it costs more than a driveshaft or a rear end.......so make sure you don't get too much traction back there.......

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Now consider this....that just makes the 8HP70 the weak link....and it costs more than a driveshaft or a rear end.......so make sure you don't get too much traction back there.......
Good Cautioning Thanks!

I am pretty much through with upgrading, with just the fact it can spin the 295s is a little bit of a traction safety factor, as I was concerned about that.

I admit I did previously consider even wider rear rims than the 10s I am running back there now, as the 295 width is the maximum recommended width for a 10" rim for the Pirelli Tire.

Even though some are running 305s on 10" rims which causes the footprint to bow out, Pirelli does not approve their 305 P-Zero series running on less than a 10.5" rim.

Personally I have spent enough money on this R/T, even though when it was on the lift I got a good look at the front tires and they need to be replaced but that's just normal wear and tear.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
895 Posts
Good Cautioning Thanks!

I am pretty much through with upgrading, with just the fact it can spin the 295s is a little bit of a traction safety factor, as I was concerned about that.

I admit I did previously consider even wider rear rims than the 10s I am running back there now, as the 295 width is the maximum recommended width for a 10" rim for the Pirelli Tire.

Even though some are running 305s on 10" rims which causes the footprint to bow out, Pirelli does not approve their 305 P-Zero series running on less than a 10.5" rim.

Personally I have spent enough money on this R/T, even though when it was on the lift I got a good look at the front tires and they need to be replaced but that's just normal wear and tear.
OST Dyno gets 800 WHP out of the 8HP70 Transmission because I was asking if I should order a Hellcat Transmission because I read that my transmission was only good to 500 HP (Input) and I was close to that. The told me me to stop believing the Internet, they run 800 WHP without issues.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,533 Posts
OST Dyno gets 800 WHP out of the 8HP70 Transmission because I was asking if I should order a Hellcat Transmission because I read that my transmission was only good to 500 HP (Input) and I was close to that. The told me me to stop believing the Internet, they run 800 WHP without issues.

Understand...but it's not the HP...it's the traction......normally, the driveshaft/u-joint is the weak leak....but not now....

Sounds like he's got it under control, but wider tires & more traction....could get painful

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
With all respect to you I think the guy told you what you wanted to hear, here is the correct information.

Chrysler TorqueFlite 8 (8HP70) Transmission Specs & Ratios

This link is the actual 100% facts regarding the 8HP70 transmission covering everything about it.

ZF 8HP transmission | Wikiwand

This link covers the 2nd generation released in 2014 and the 3rd generation released in 2018. the 3rd generation release is probably why the 2019 gets a better 0 ~ 60 time than the earlier releases get.

Understand...but it's not the HP...it's the traction......normally, the driveshaft/u-joint is the weak leak....but not now....

Sounds like he's got it under control, but wider tires & more traction....could get painful
As TRCM said it is the traction because the 8HP70 is designed to output it's raw numbers and the Dodge design team has designed the car to keep within the parameters. When we make changes to the cars drive line we change those parameters and they all have a cumulative back lash effect. Wider rear tires add to the effect, limited slip differential adds to the effect, and the expendable component is the two piece driveshaft. Going to the single aluminum driveshaft pretty much eliminates the fusible link so trust me I will be careful and not go any wider tires and rims to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
895 Posts
With all respect to you I think the guy told you what you wanted to hear, here is the correct information.

Chrysler TorqueFlite 8 (8HP70) Transmission Specs & Ratios

This link is the actual 100% facts regarding the 8HP70 transmission covering everything about it.

ZF 8HP transmission | Wikiwand

This link covers the 2nd generation released in 2014 and the 3rd generation released in 2018. the 3rd generation release is probably why the 2019 gets a better 0 ~ 60 time than the earlier releases get.

As TRCM said it is the traction because the 8HP70 is designed to output it's raw numbers and the Dodge design team has designed the car to keep within the parameters. When we make changes to the cars drive line we change those parameters and they all have a cumulative back lash effect. Wider rear tires add to the effect, limited slip differential adds to the effect, and the expendable component is the two piece driveshaft. Going to the single aluminum driveshaft pretty much eliminates the fusible link so trust me I will be careful and not go any wider tires and rims to be on the safe side.
I went there and was considering ordering the trans through them and having them install it when they upgrade the converter in May. Why would they not wat to make mark up and labor?

·
Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
590 Posts
Put 295s on the rear they are an inch wider per tire vs the 275s and the single piece drive shaft is totally responsible for being able to just flat unmercifully spin them, not bad from a 5.7. :)

I had to do a little inner fender manipulating on the drivers side to keep them from rubbing the bottom of the fender liner.

When they grip the car just jumps forward, and pushes you back in the seat, very exhilarating actually!

IMO, just for my own piece of mind the price of the one piece driveshaft is worth every penny, but to get improved total performance from the car, is really a serious plus.

Not having to be concerned about this anymore:

View attachment 263625

So in summation, the car has the same 8HP70 automatic transmission as the 392 Scat Pack, rated past it's stock 485 HP output. And now, an over 1,000 HP rated driveshaft, sending the power to an over 700 HP rated Hellcat 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, so that drive line should have no problems handling my 5.7. We'll See! :) Ry

Edit: I was concerned about the .5 negative camber the car still has back there affecting the tire road contact in the rear so I did a full burnout and inspected the rubber left behind and it was full width on both tires making contact to the road, so the negative camber is not a problem.
I setup -1.0 front, and -1.5 rear.. great results

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there any type of maintenance that can be done do these drive shafts and center bearings to keep them from failing??? Just brought my 16 RT+ M6 to the dealer I bought it from on Halloween (not a dodge dealer). They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty with all certified pre-owned vehicles they sell. The service manager called me today to tell me that this center bearing is the problem and that he was checking with the warranty company(apparently it isn't them) to see if it is covered. I am hoping that they determine that it is part of the drivetrain that is covered, otherwise they estimated it would cost around $1500 parts and labor.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
146 Posts
I'm pretty sure the center bearing can be replaced without replacing the entire driveshaft. It's easier and more profitable for the dealership to replace the driveshaft so that's why they always opt for that. Unfortunately, that screws you or the warranty company.

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Is there any type of maintenance that can be done do these drive shafts and center bearings to keep them from failing??? Just brought my 16 RT+ M6 to the dealer I bought it from on Halloween (not a dodge dealer). They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty with all certified pre-owned vehicles they sell. The service manager called me today to tell me that this center bearing is the problem and that he was checking with the warranty company(apparently it isn't them) to see if it is covered. I am hoping that they determine that it is part of the drivetrain that is covered, otherwise they estimated it would cost around $1500 parts and labor.
No, there is no maintenance that can be done as it is not the actual bearing itself that fails, it is the rubber suspension that keeps the bearing centered inside the housing that actually fails on the OEM setup. You can clearly see the failure in the very first picture of this thread, that bearing in the picture still turns freely, it is simply ripped loose from the support housing.

I'm pretty sure the center bearing can be replaced without replacing the entire driveshaft. It's easier and more profitable for the dealership to replace the driveshaft so that's why they always opt for that. Unfortunately, that screws you or the warranty company.
Drive Shaft for 2014 Dodge Challenger | MOPAR OEM Parts Direct

Before 2015 there was actually an OEM center support bearing shown on the OEM Mopar parts list for replacement, but from 2015 forward the driveshaft has to be replaced as a complete non serviceable OEM unit.

Drive Shaft for 2015 Dodge Challenger | MOPAR OEM Parts Direct

Warranty is going to cover it, and I think it is because per the service manual, the bearing support isn't a replaceable part. I am very fortunate. However, there is a 10-day wait for the parts.
That is fantastic for you! (y)

Ry

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my car ('16 RT+ 75k miles) 3 weeks ago from a used car lot in Maryland. One of the things they had done before I got the car was replacing the driveshaft.

However, last Tuesday I experienced a complete carrier bearing failure. The dealership has ordered me a new part, I just have to make the 2.5 hour trip to give them the old one and retrieve the new one. It's of course on back order though. So who knows when I'll get my car back.

I put maybe 500 miles on the car. And yes, I did do a few burnouts and launches in the car like anyone does when you buy a Challenger for the first time.
Any clue why it could've failed that quickly? And is there anything I can do to help prevent having such failure again? What's the suggested path for a upgraded driveshaft that isn't 1000+?

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I just picked up my car ('16 RT+ 75k miles) 3 weeks ago from a used car lot in Maryland. One of the things they had done before I got the car was replacing the driveshaft.

However, last Tuesday I experienced a complete carrier bearing failure. The dealership has ordered me a new part, I just have to make the 2.5 hour trip to give them the old one and retrieve the new one. It's of course on back order though. So who knows when I'll get my car back.

I put maybe 500 miles on the car. And yes, I did do a few burnouts and launches in the car like anyone does when you buy a Challenger for the first time.
Any clue why it could've failed that quickly? And is there anything I can do to help prevent having such failure again? What's the suggested path for a upgraded driveshaft that isn't 1000+?
Yours automatic or manual?

Do you know if they replaced the driveshaft with a used one or a brand new OEM?

A brand new OEM should not fail in 500 miles no matter how many burnouts and launches you did?

I think so far one of the earliest failures we've seen was at 5,000 miles.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts