Dodge Challenger Forum banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,091 Posts
I just picked up my car ('16 RT+ 75k miles) 3 weeks ago from a used car lot in Maryland. One of the things they had done before I got the car was replacing the driveshaft.
Yours automatic or manual?

Do you know if they replaced the driveshaft with a used one or a brand new OEM?

A brand new OEM should not fail in 500 miles no matter how many burnouts and launches you did?

I think so far one of the earliest failures we've seen was at 5,000 miles.
A used car lot sounds a lot like a mom and pop lot. If that's the case and they replaced the DS, I'd bet dimes to dollars it was a junkyard pull. @Herk says he's having a replacement drive shaft installed at a dealership, so I'm guessing it's not the same place where he bought it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yours automatic or manual?

Do you know if they replaced the driveshaft with a used one or a brand new OEM?

A brand new OEM should not fail in 500 miles no matter how many burnouts and launches you did?

I think so far one of the earliest failures we've seen was at 5,000 miles.
It's an automatic. I'm told it was a new part via Napa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not having it installed by the lot where I bought the car. I didn't want to have the car towed 2.5 hours away and I have a local reputable shop that does all my work. So I'm having the new one installed there.
I was told it was a new shaft from napa. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
I'm not having it installed by the lot where I bought the car. I didn't want to have the car towed 2.5 hours away and I have a local reputable shop that does all my work. So I'm having the new one installed there.
I was told it was a new shaft from napa. Who knows.
Just out of curiosity does it have the stock 245 tires all around it?

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Yep, stock 245's.
If you eventually plan on wider rear rims and tires I seriously suggest going to the one piece driveshaft and get rid of that carrier bearing center support altogether.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Good Gravy! I just went through this whole thread like a good Mystery Novel! The suspense was Killing Me!
I guess a one piece drive shaft is the way to go. I have not had any problems to date, but that doesn't mean I won't down the road but this thread has opened My eyes and the How-To's definitely made it more tolerable should the inevitable happen!
Again @RyzRT you really brought something to the table and I have learned a lot from everyone who contributed!
Thank You!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
895 Posts
Good Gravy! I just went through this whole thread like a good Mystery Novel! The suspense was Killing Me!
I guess a one piece drive shaft is the way to go. I have not had any problems to date, but that doesn't mean I won't down the road but this thread has opened My eyes and the How-To's definitely made it more tolerable should the inevitable happen!
Again @RyzRT you really brought something to the table and I have learned a lot from everyone who contributed!
Thank You!
Dropped the car off on 4/30. No electric cutouts as the manufacturer can not keep up. But that is okay, since no cut outs available I decided to get a Whipple Supercharger instead. So anxious to get it back!

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Dropped the car off on 4/30. No electric cutouts as the manufacturer can not keep up. But that is okay, since no cut outs available I decided to get a Whipple Supercharger instead. So anxious to get it back!
So what all are they doing to it?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
895 Posts
So what all are they doing to it?
1 piece drive shaft, Stall Speed Converter (to work with the cam that was put in last year), larger diameter Kooks High Flow catted mid pies, oem Hellcat cat back with the Active Exhaust welded open, TBA Machine Differential Brace, a Whipple Stage 2 kit, and Dyno Tune. Was going to get Electric cutouts too but they can not get them in.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
1 piece drive shaft, Stall Speed Converter (to work with the cam that was put in last year), larger diameter Kooks High Flow catted mid pies, oem Hellcat cat back with the Active Exhaust welded open, TBA Machine Differential Brace, a Whipple Stage 2 kit, and Dyno Tune. Was going to get Electric cutouts too but they can not get them in.
Post some 0 ~ 60s and quarter mile times with the supercharger when you get it back if you will?

281 - 291 of 291 Posts