Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on here and on the web and didn't really see a good answer to this, so I apologize if this was already asked somewhere, couldn't find it.

I'm at 45,000 miles now on my 2010 R/T and was wondering when you have to replace the shocks/struts on the car? I thought the general rule of thumb was 50,000 miles, but wasn't sure if it was different for some reason on these cars.

Also, my 2010 R/T came with super track pack and I believe I have the Bilstein shocks on the back. I always get confused reading about what shocks are on what car or option package, Bilsteins, Nivomats, Sachs, load-leveling, non-load leveling, etc.

Has anyone replaced their shocks/struts yet with just replacement (non-aftermarket) parts and if so, what part numbers did you use?

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has replaced their shocks or struts on here yet?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Hey Carl, I think you need to ref your build sheet to see what sales code you have for springs and suspension.
When you look for the part number of the shock (see link below), there are different shocks for the different suspensions - obvious.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showpost.php?p=500686&postcount=1

On page 10 of the pdf you see the front suspension. I have sales code SDD for suspension and sales code ZAH & ZNH for springs. So looking at item No.6 on page 10 I can determine the correct part number for right and left front shocks.
The rear suspension is on pg 250.
I don't have 100% trust the documents produced by the manufacturer!
JMHO, but when I'm wrenching on my stuff I like to get the old part off and then match it up at the parts store before I drop the cash. I'm sure there's probably a label on the shocks that will give you the part number.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man! I'll check out the link.

I've heard where even the build sheets have the wrong data on them. Something about a shortage of shocks/struts at the factory and them using whatever they had available at the time. Not sure how true that is.

I always get confused though as to what shocks are on what car (i.e. Bilsteins, Nivomats, Sachs, etc). I know I have the bilsteins on the back as I looked back there the other day. But wasn't sure on the struts.

Is there any specific mileage for shocks and struts to be replaced? I haven't seen anything as to a specific mileage. I'll double check the owners manual again I guess. I just know on most of my other cars around 50,000 miles or so I'd replace them so I figured the same on these cars.

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I replaced mine with Bilsteins when I lowered mine, as long as your stockers are not leaking or getting extremely soft, I wouldn't worry about them.. I have seen stockers go 100k..

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright cool, maybe I'll wait another year or so then before I replace them. It's hard to tell if its the shocks getting old or if its just the roads are so much crappier now from this harsh winter haha!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
My experience is that they usually fail sometime between 100-150 thousand miles. Of course if they leak or make wierd sounds when "bouncing" the front end then they should be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts