Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want my 3.6 to sound a bit more deeper and aggressive. Seeing some nice videos of rear resonator (or is it muffler) deletes? What are your opinions on this? I have a CAI and TB spacer in place currently.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I wouldn't do it. It won't make it sound like a V8. It will be louder, not so much better IMO.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,864 Posts
I want my 3.6 to sound a bit more deeper and aggressive. Seeing some nice videos of rear resonator (or is it muffler) deletes? What are your opinions on this? I have a CAI and TB spacer in place currently.
You will not get an Aggressive Tone from the 3.6 Pentastar they are high pitched not worth the money or effort. The Head and Exhaust Header 1 piece design limit it and the systems usually drone bad with exhaust mods they sound nasty most times when modified and not in a pleasant way.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
There's guy on my street who has an incredible sounding SXT. I don't know what all he's done to it, but I'll make it a point to ask.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
1,051 Posts
At a car show, I had a guy ask what exhaust I run. (I have a 2015 R/T), I tell him I deleted my resonators and swapped out the mufflers with Thrush Welded Mufflers, I also have Kooks long tube headers and catted mid pipes. Then he said, oh it's the headers that make it sound like that. He takes me over to look at his car and asked what he could do to make it sound more like mine, it was a V6 so, I told him to start by adding 2 more cylinders. I am NOT a snob like that, really, my wife has an AWD G/T she bought new about 1 year ago and actually I drive it quite a bit and I love it but, you are not going to get a V6 to sound like a V8.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Virtually identical tones and waste of money .... Get a shop to tune your car with a dyno and put a Banks Pedal Monster in it cheaper and better results in Fun....

They Sound like HP Imports...
That all sounds like shit. Maybe good for a Honda, maybe not. I think it's a given when you go with the 6 cylinder, you will get pretty good performance for a 6 cylinder but you will never get good sound from it. IMO. leave it stock.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Personally louder doesnt always sound better. Most of the resonator delete videos give the cars this flappy sound when the rpms are coming down. I have always been a install my own catback guy versus gutting my car up.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The Head and Header 1 piece design of a Pentastar limits the Exhaust / Pressure right from the Engine so the sound is not going to be as dramatic like
on the older 3.5 that was 2 piece or a V8 because on those being 2 piece you can grind and polish the exhaust ports and change the exhaust header not on the 3.6 Pentastar.
The Exhaust mod on a 3.6 Pentastar is expensive and not hardly changing the pitch of the engine it never will be throaty except on a start after that they are high pitched.
They can Drone Easier then most other cars and that noise will drive you nuts. Save the Money

·
Registered
606 Posts
I personally think the stock V6 exhaust sounds good and being a straight through glass pack muffler, they are louder with time. The stock cats are the most restrictive part of the exhaust. I would personally put on the AFE head pipes and a better X pipe. Even those two would be high single digit gains and aren't cheap. A V6 will never sound like a V8 no matter what exhaust is on it.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
A 4.3 Vortec sounds like a Small Block V8 which its based off of a 350 with back 2 cylinders cut off and shurnk but the 3.6 wont because of the design, a 3.5 has a bit better tone to it but not the efficiency and hp of the 3.6 I watched nearly 100 videos on everyone saying 3.6 sounds like a V8 and evidently many never heard a V8 before.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
125 Posts
I just recently decided to replace the 2 rear resonators on my 2020 SXT. I went with flowmaster fx oval mufflers. (Part#71225) I thought they would give me a nice sound and no DRONE. I even talked to a tech at Flowmaster and he suggested the oval FX.
My exaust guy did an impeckable install, just like a factory install.
Well when I picked the car up we started it with the remote and listened to it. I thought, not bad. sounds good.
So I'm driving home and I when the tach is in the 1800 to 2200 rpm range I am getting this annoying hum!
Yes, DRONE. Not happy with it. My own fault for not doing more research. Listening to videos on different exaust configurations does not give a good actual sound, especially inside the car. My 2 cents.
I'm finding out now that the 1800 to 2200 rpm range is a real problem to control drone on the 3.6 pentestar.
At this point I have my exaust guy looking for a pair of rear resonator take offs to put the car back to stock.
Also have been talking to Steve Mariano at Solo Performance about their cat back Mach XV system.
He claims their system is custom tuned for no drone.
Will let everyone know what I end up doing.

Jim....

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
When you have a Restriction from the Head and One Piece Exhaust Header that limits the Flow and Back Pressure which kills that deep rumble aggressive tone.
A Local Mopar Club which I speak to 2 members of said most give up and there is always a Drone some not as bad as others but it's expensive and the just is
if you want a deep rumble from a V6 Challenger a 3.5 is actually better sounding but near half the engine in performance , and efficiency.

I researched it since Law May when I bought my SXT but I really have no complaints with it stock maybe a Tune with a TB, since the PCM is not locked on that year
and some more ponies opened up that will help some but my opinion is still a great ride and fun to drive daily.

·
Registered
627 Posts
This is what I did a few years ago, and still run to this day, inspired by some discussions with @shooterjgs about his setup at the time. Mufflers, tips (priced according to which ones you choose), total cost under $200. No Flowmaster rasp. Easily heard in the cabin, but no ear buzzing drone at any rpms. Mellow enough for a daily, but instantly aggressive when you want it. For even a little rougher sound, add an H pipe in place of the stock "x" pipe. I did, but haven't posted videos from after the H install yet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts