Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,894 Posts
This is what I did a few years ago, and still run to this day, inspired by some discussions with @shooterjgs about his setup at the time. Mufflers, tips (priced according to which ones you choose), total cost under $200. No Flowmaster rasp. Easily heard in the cabin, but no ear buzzing drone at any rpms. Mellow enough for a daily, but instantly aggressive when you want it. For even a little rougher sound, add an H pipe in place of the stock "x" pipe. I did, but haven't posted videos from after the H install yet.

Nice car but I truthfully am not hearing as the OP is trying to find a Deep Aggressive sound its still high pitched like an import sports car. They always are so close to each other, maybe not as much of a drone but being around Race Cars / Late Model / Sprints / Pro Street Stock / since I was a kid now at 54 years of age its not really aggressive. It does not come close to a V8 Depth or even close.
When a 1 Piece Restriction is made between the head and exhaust header it limits the amount at the engine block of pressure to push out of the exhaust. I truthfully don't even hear a 200.00 worth of difference but if you find that perfect not going to argue that its what you like. As for going a grand of more waste your not going to push hp up that much either.

The 3.5's have a noticeable difference because they were separate and you could port and polish them open a bit more and install Headers. Until a new Head and Header kit comes out they are going to be pretty darn close to the same pitch. The Exhaust pipes from the cats back barely change it enough except where you make mods can give that dreaded drone.

The Prodigy HP Modified Pentastars also dont sound 10 to 12k better sure those have hp but they still sound like a small Engine. This is a Twin Turbo setup it still sounds like a SXT 3.6 it just winds up super fast...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nice car but I truthfully am not hearing as the OP is trying to find a Deep Aggressive sound its still high pitched like an import sports car. They always are so close to each other, maybe not as much of a drone but being around Race Cars / Late Model / Sprints / Pro Street Stock / since I was a kid now at 54 years of age its not really aggressive. It does not come close to a V8 Depth or even close.
When a 1 Piece Restriction is made between the head and exhaust header it limits the amount at the engine block of pressure to push out of the exhaust. I truthfully don't even hear a 200.00 worth of difference but if you find that perfect not going to argue that its what you like. As for going a grand of more waste your not going to push hp up that much either.

The 3.5's have a noticeable difference because they were separate and you could port and polish them open a bit more and install Headers. Until a new Head and Header kit comes out they are going to be pretty darn close to the same pitch. The Exhaust pipes from the cats back barely change it enough except where you make mods can give that dreaded drone.

The Prodigy HP Modified Pentastars also dont sound 10 to 12k better sure those have hp but they still sound like a small Engine. This is a Twin Turbo setup it still sounds like a SXT 3.6 it just winds up super fast...

So, the points to be taken out of all of that are:
  • "your sound isn't deeper or more aggressive (than stock)" - ???...:rolleyes:
  • "yours is not as deep as a V8" - Uh... well, that's because it isn't one.
  • "a V6 will never sound like a V8" - See previous response....

OP did NOT ask about making his sound like a V8. I never said mine sounded like a V8, or was trying. OP asked very simply if there was something to make his V6 sound "a BIT more deeper and more aggressive" (than stock). My video was just one suggestion to help answer OP's original question.

I'm not sure why the big speech was necessary about the obvious but irrelevant differences between V8s and V6s, 3.5 and 3.6, N/A and forced induction on small engines, etc, etc... as NONE of those arguments had ANYTHING to do with the OP's original question or my response, regardless of your age or vast experience with V8s, race cars, etc. BTW, I'm older, so does that mean anything? lol The original question had nothing to do with race cars so all that was pretty pointless. It's a street V6 Challenger that the OP is looking to tweak a little for a "better" sound.

YOU don't like the sound. Uh..... ok. Thanks for sharing. My video was for the OP to consider and evaluate for HIS application, but 'thanks' for chiming in. lol

We get it.
A V6 will never sound like a V8.
That point doesn't need 'splaining, because most of us already know. Nobody in this conversation asked or said it could.
If someone asks, then by all means educate them on the difference. I do. If they ask THAT question I'll tell them every time.

If they've asked.

Some of these responses came off like they were made in any one of a hundred typical Facebook-drama car groups.

The Z used to be better than those.

:sneaky:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Problem is a resonator and muffler delete was asked and both will sound bad. I have yet to hear a significantly deeper sounding aftermarket exhaust system. The aggressive sound is easy, the deeper, much harder on any V6. To be fair, sound bites off You Tube sound different in person and what some find acceptable noise is loud as Hell to others. Let's all agree to disagree on this one. I love the stock sound on my GT V6 and it actually sounds better inside right now compared to my 70 Cutlass S which has a Rocket 350 V8. Dodge did a good job on the factory exhaust, very few restrictions and the perfect sound level. Us V8 guys laugh at the fart can 4 cylinders sound, do you want your Challenger to get the same eye rolls? Let's save this guy money and disappointment.

Reactions: bigallis1

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my 2018 SXT for about two months now. Last week I decided to do a mid muffler delete and I immediately hated the sound. It was super raspy just sounded bad so I told the guy I wanted to take off the resonators. He advised me against it and said my car would sound like a honda and be too loud. I told him I didn't care so he replaces the resonators with 2 1/5 “ pipe and pulls it around and IMO it sounded great. Definitely doesn’t sound like a honda but it is extremely loud. The first couple of days the drone was killing me but now I think I’m getting used to it. I’ve been watching countless videos on youtube that all sound about the same so it’s really all about what the car owner likes. I honestly like the way my straight pipes sound. I’ll be getting quad tips next and maybe one day down the line upgrade to a high end cat-back system but for now I’m good.

I’ve had V8 cars and trucks before so I know it will never sound like one. It’s just fun to mod your car no matter what you have especially when it pisses a bunch of V6 haters off.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most are not V6 haters, the Pentastar is a great motor, so much better than the 3.5 it replaced. The sound of any small motor is less than ideal. I just don't get making a car loud for 2hp. I roll my eyes with every shitty sounding car.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ha ..... every new V6 owner comes on here looking to find the holy grail to get that V8 sound ....don't waste your $$$$ ...I know a friend that dropped about a 1500 bucks on various setups ... now he wishes he never messed with it ... it is those cast in exhaust ports on the heads that is the culprit... I left mine stock... I don't have the time or $$$$$ to experiment on maybe...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
125 Posts
Ha ..... every new V6 owner comes on here looking to find the holy grail to get that V8 sound ....don't waste your $$$$ ...I know a friend that dropped about a 1500 bucks on various setups ... now he wishes he never messed with it ... it is those cast in exhaust ports on the heads that is the culprit... I left mine stock... I don't have the time or $$$$$ to experiment on maybe...
You are right Elton. I'm a prime example of that. Read my post #18, that was my $350.00 experiment and I hate it. Did not do enough homework on sound.
I was not smart enough to keep my rear resonators also so I could go back to stock.
I now have my exaust guy looking out for someone elses take offs so he can put me back to stock.
Probably going to be another $350.00 to do that.
Right now I do not want to go further with a cat back system even if they say no DRONE.
Oh well, live and learn....

Jim............

·
Registered
749 Posts
You are right Elton. I'm a prime example of that. Read my post #18, that was my $350.00 experiment and I hate it. Did not do enough homework on sound.
I was not smart enough to keep my rear resonators also so I could go back to stock.
I now have my exaust guy looking out for someone elses take offs so he can put me back to stock.
Probably going to be another $350.00 to do that.
Right now I do not want to go further with a cat back system even if they say no DRONE.
Oh well, live and learn....

Jim............
Well you are not alone ... I too thought about it when I first got mine... but after reading multiple threads and watching awful YT videos of compressed sound... I just let it go... as I stated my friend got a 18 GT and sunk big $$$$ into various combinations... and of course the muffler shops will not discourage you from spending that $$$$.... lol

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I'm gonna have to differ with all this... Bottom line is it won't sound like a V8 but it gonna sound good and no drone... If you all go the the section above this section the "Pentastar 3.6L exhaust" it adds up to big mufflers in the front and get rid of the resonaters... Works and sounds great... Its been done I don't have sound clips of my setup but Granite Ghost has some excellent sound clips... Go to the "Pentastar 3.6L exhaust" section... Also Solo Performance, Borla, and Corsa have great catback systems for our cars with no drone... I now run Solo but had the Magnaflows and they worked great... Read up on the exhaust section for our cars...👍

·
Registered
39 Posts
My fabricator suggested a pretty unconventional route for my exhaust, and I actually quite like it. I'm just going to call the parts the "mid" and "rear" mufflers. lol Don't want to sidetrack this thread with "what's the resonator?" haha

Anyway, he left the stock mid mufflers as is, and replaced the rear mufflers with small Magnaflow 11375, which are pretty close to straight pipes since I could look right through them.

Now, for the million dollar question - is there a drone? Yes, there's a monotone sound around 2000 RPMs. No, it doesn't create a lot of vibration. No, it isn't annoying to me. YMMV, but I actually like the sound of my exhaust. And really, as long as it sounds good to you and you're not bothered by the "drone-like" sounds, then you're good!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Some drone is good. Otherwise you are driving a sewing machine.

Reactions: Doctor Oetker

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I paid $2,000.00 for a complete Corsa Extreme exhaust (for a 5.7) because they are known for no drone. Guess what? No sound either. No sound = no drone.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You guys need your hearing checked, I can hear my stock 3.6 exhaust just fine opened up, it sounds good. I just went through the droning thing on my 70 Cutlass. It is now just loud enough to sound good and doesn't vibrate my fillings. The Dynomax Superturbo is a good muffler👍

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
When talking exhaust, 3.6, 5.7 and 6.4 are all completely different discussions. Even some years of the same engine are not the same.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
125 Posts
My fabricator suggested a pretty unconventional route for my exhaust, and I actually quite like it. I'm just going to call the parts the "mid" and "rear" mufflers. lol Don't want to sidetrack this thread with "what's the resonator?" haha

Anyway, he left the stock mid mufflers as is, and replaced the rear mufflers with small Magnaflow 11375, which are pretty close to straight pipes since I could look right through them.

Now, for the million dollar question - is there a drone? Yes, there's a monotone sound around 2000 RPMs. No, it doesn't create a lot of vibration. No, it isn't annoying to me. YMMV, but I actually like the sound of my exhaust. And really, as long as it sounds good to you and you're not bothered by the "drone-like" sounds, then you're good!
Did a similar thing to my 2020 SXT. I left the mid mufflers in place and replaced the resonators with Flowmaster FX oval mufflers. Yes, you are right, there is a monotone sound and yes there is DRONE at the 1800 to 2200 rpm range. I am not happy with it and will be changing it.

Jim......

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will not get an Aggressive Tone from the 3.6 Pentastar they are high pitched not worth the money or effort. The Head and Exhaust Header 1 piece design limit it and the systems usually drone bad with exhaust mods they sound nasty most times when modified and not in a pleasant way.
you could not be more wrong I have a 3.6 2018 Challenger
I have no modifications to the car only cold air intake and mid Muffler and resonator replacement where is Flowmaster straight through when I accelerate my engine sounds like a V8 I swear it sounds like a Hellcat it's so aggressive it scares the shit out of me is there something to be concerned about

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have yet to hear any V6 sound like a V8 especially the 3.6. Loud, doesn't equal a V8. Put up a sound clip, maybe it will surprise us.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just realized this thread is 8 months old, OP must have done something by now.

Borla ATAK ftw, btw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Couple things. I know this post is old but as a former 3.6 owner figured I’d share. Anything you do outside of stock will most likely result in drone and rasp at higher rpm’s. Might sound decent at idle but under load it sounds like poo.
Now the stock catback is 2.25 and off the cat it’s 2.5 choked down to 2 to fit into the the 2.25. There should be literature on removing choke points on the exhaust. I had this portion of the exhaust modified and enlarged. Then went with a stock 5.7 cat back and removed the rear resonators and replaced with Jones Exhaust resonator and 5” tips (duals not quads). The result was a deeper tone with little to no rasp. Flip side was it has horrible drone. It didn’t sound like a V8 but didn’t sound like a Honda either.

There’s also the Solo Performance Cyclone catback. Probably the best sounding catback I’ve heard on the 3.6 and there’s little to no drone.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts