Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

Registered
I'm gonna have to differ with all this... Bottom line is it won't sound like a V8 but it gonna sound good and no drone... If you all go the the section above this section the "Pentastar 3.6L exhaust" it adds up to big mufflers in the front and get rid of the resonaters... Works and sounds great... Its been done I don't have sound clips of my setup but Granite Ghost has some excellent sound clips... Go to the "Pentastar 3.6L exhaust" section... Also Solo Performance, Borla, and Corsa have great catback systems for our cars with no drone... I now run Solo but had the Magnaflows and they worked great... Read up on the exhaust section for our cars...馃憤

Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
This pure and Simple is why the Pentastar Engine does not have that Deeper and Aggresive Exhaust Sound one piece Head Exhaust Header with a Single Exhaust Port.
This feeds into a Single down Pipe and produces the higher pitch tone and why most mods for it sound like a import 4 banger. If this was redesigned with a 3 exhaust port
opening it would then help deepen the tone. That is why the older 3.5 actually sounds more aggressive yet its not as well designed these are not High Performance Engines
the cost to bring it up in HP you can build a Gen 3 Hemi at 1/2 the cost. CAI's do not help give it a Bad A** sound at all it barely changes the Tone because your air is restricted
at the Head and with a Stock PUG its nothing but Cosmetic Candy. They have become a Placebo in the mind just because they look cool they dont help in Dyno Numbers
most Cai's recirculate Hot Air under the Hood. Who knows what the next Revision Pentastar Chrysler is floating a moe HP version for 2023 will be?

Bottom line the Pentastar never will under its current design give you a V8 Roar, that said yes it can have mild upgrades and gain some HP but its a very expensive and limited
by design endeavor, no one makes a 4 piece 2 exhaust and 2 intake Cam Kit for these and there is not a heavier Crank for it and only a Plastic Intake for it. Prodigy makes some
HP kits for the engine but its not cheap.

Pentastar 3.6 is a Fantastic engine for Daily Driving some Performance a deeper exhaust sound is very limited but they Drone Easily as well so what what mods you do.
This is not knocking the Engine I have a 3.6 love it as is especially with 5.00 plus gas prices.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rim Camera accessory

Auto part Bicycle part Font Recreation Rim

Premium Member
while i don't have any experience with the pentastar engine, i have changed the exhaust on my kia stinger. it is a v-6, twin turbo and have changed the mid mufflers to cherry bomb mufflers and the rear resonators have been replaced with j-pipes from solo. the sound is deeper, but in the upper rpm range it is the typical v-6 rasp. don't know if that helps. it does however have a nice burble at idle.

Reactions: shooterjgs

Registered
This pure and Simple is why the Pentastar Engine does not have that Deeper and Aggresive Exhaust Sound one piece Head Exhaust Header with a Single Exhaust Port.
This feeds into a Single down Pipe and produces the higher pitch tone and why most mods for it sound like a import 4 banger. If this was redesigned with a 3 exhaust port
opening it would then help deepen the tone. That is why the older 3.5 actually sounds more aggressive yet its not as well designed these are not High Performance Engines
the cost to bring it up in HP you can build a Gen 3 Hemi at 1/2 the cost. CAI's do not help give it a Bad A** sound at all it barely changes the Tone because your air is restricted
at the Head and with a Stock PUG its nothing but Cosmetic Candy. They have become a Placebo in the mind just because they look cool they dont help in Dyno Numbers
most Cai's recirculate Hot Air under the Hood. Who knows what the next Revision Pentastar Chrysler is floating a moe HP version for 2023 will be?

Bottom line the Pentastar never will under its current design give you a V8 Roar, that said yes it can have mild upgrades and gain some HP but its a very expensive and limited
by design endeavor, no one makes a 4 piece 2 exhaust and 2 intake Cam Kit for these and there is not a heavier Crank for it and only a Plastic Intake for it. Prodigy makes some
HP kits for the engine but its not cheap.

Pentastar 3.6 is a Fantastic engine for Daily Driving some Performance a deeper exhaust sound is very limited but they Drone Easily as well so what what mods you do.
This is not knocking the Engine I have a 3.6 love it as is especially with 5.00 plus gas prices.

View attachment 304725
View attachment 304724
I believe the original intention was to make this a twin turbo. Which is why they don鈥檛 have headers. The Masarati is a twin turbo that utilizes the pentastar.

But I agree you won鈥檛 get a V8 roar from it.

Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
After 2 years I would agree that probably the best is not to touch the stock exhaust.
One can get interesting rumble at idle (Borla...) but there is no way to get rid of the typical loud V6 sound when the throttle is open, and I personally do not like this kind of loud aggressive V6 sound too much.
The sound of Pentastar is really more high-pitch when compared to e.g. 3.7 L V6 Ford engine in Mustang (discontinued), or the 3.6 L V6 in Camaro RS. The best sounding V6 for my ears is probably that from Jaguar F-type.
When researching do not forget that many sound clips available on YT are a bit misleading or simply different from real experience, maybe because of using smartphones for recording.
The stock resonators do some little favor and produce kind of decent burble one can notice inside when cruising in the range 1200-1800 rpm. This is the most of the time I spend during my driving, and fits well with the nice overall cruising feel I get from the GT. Keeping 2100 rpm (what is about 95 mph) is still not bad either (but this is already out of our legal freeway limit 80 mph ~ 130 km/h):devilish:. And the sound from 3+ grand up to redline is a pleasant one for me as well, including the experience when windows are down. So I can enjoy flooring even the little V6.
Yes, I cannot get the V8 rumble and power out of my head. But this is totally different story.

Registered
After 2 years I would agree that probably the best is not to touch the stock exhaust.
One can get interesting rumble at idle (Borla...) but there is no way to get rid of the typical loud V6 sound when the throttle is open, and I personally do not like this kind of loud aggressive V6 sound too much.
The sound of Pentastar is really more high-pitch when compared to e.g. 3.7 L V6 Ford engine in Mustang (discontinued), or the 3.6 L V6 in Camaro RS. The best sounding V6 for my ears is probably that from Jaguar F-type.
When researching do not forget that many sound clips available on YT are a bit misleading or simply different from real experience, maybe because of using smartphones for recording.
The stock resonators do some little favor and produce kind of decent burble one can notice inside when cruising in the range 1200-1800 rpm. This is the most of the time I spend during my driving, and fits well with the nice overall cruising feel I get from the GT. Keeping 2100 rpm (what is about 95 mph) is still not bad either (but this is already out of our legal freeway limit 80 mph ~ 130 km/h):devilish:. And the sound from 3+ grand up to redline is a pleasant one for me as well, including the experience when windows are down. So I can enjoy flooring even the little V6.
Yes, I cannot get the V8 rumble and power out of my head. But this is totally different story.
I agree completely. There is power to be gained with aftermarket exhaust but the noise potential, especially what I use my car for, it isn't worth the risk. I have the V8 rumble in my 1970 Cutlass and 2000 Dakota, so I'm OK.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts