Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Allpar.

Insiders have revived the possibility that the Dodge Challenger will move to a new name when it shifts from its current dimensions to the “LA” body sometime during calendar-year 2014.
Sources originally said that there would be a new SRT or Dodge Barracuda, either replacing the Challenger, or supplementing it with a lighter car (the latter has been abandoned in favor of a joint project with Alfa Romeo).
Almost certainly, though, we are simply seeing the results of lingering, uncorrected names in Chrysler databases. Even as the 2015 Chrysler 200 was being prepared for launch, the name “Chrysler Sebring” was still being used in at least one system.
The Challenger mid-cycle change, from the LC to an LA body, is needed to use an eight-speed automatic transmission. Compared with the Mercedes-design five-speed, the ZF eight-speed dramatically increases gas mileage and acceleration. The big Chrysler 300 with the eight-speed and V6 actually matches the 0-60 times of the 2006 Charger Daytona Hemi with the five speed, while increasing highway mileage to 31 mpg.
The eight-speed and an upgraded interior and electronics architecture should help Challenger in its sales battle with Camaro and Mustang, while increasing Chrysler’s overall gas-mileage figures. The changes may also allow Challenger (or Barracuda?) buyers to upgrade to the features and options currently enjoyed by the cheaper Dodge Dart.

·
13,007 Posts
Sometimes when you hear stuff like this it makes you wonder if the Challenger's days are numbered.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,992 Posts
This was the rumor over a year ago.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
From Allpar.
Sources originally said that there would be a new SRT or Dodge Barracuda, either replacing the Challenger, or supplementing it with a lighter car (the latter has been abandoned in favor of a joint project with Alfa Romeo).
I'm going to step out on a limb here, but I reeeaaallly don't want a smaller car. I like how big the Challenger is. The Challenger just looks like it's flexing its muscles at you. I understand the desire to keep up with the competition of the smaller, lighter weight cars... I get it, I really do. But if the Challenger starts getting smaller I'm just gonna stick with the current models when I go to upgrade :smileup:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
So far a lotta talk and no action seems to be the norm, the hellcat was supposed to make an appearance at one of the auto shows and so far notta... If it does exist what are they waiting for as far as making an appearance, right now I'd settle for a cardboard mockup?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm going to step out on a limb here, but I reeeaaallly don't want a smaller car. I like how big the Challenger is. The Challenger just looks like it's flexing its muscles at you. I understand the desire to keep up with the competition of the smaller, lighter weight cars... I get it, I really do. But if the Challenger starts getting smaller I'm just gonna stick with the current models when I go to upgrade :smileup:
Agreed, For me it really depends on what exterior changes are made to make or break it

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far a lotta talk and no action seems to be the norm, the hellcat was supposed to make an appearance at one of the auto shows and so far notta... If it does exist what are they waiting for as far as making an appearance, right now I'd settle for a cardboard mockup?
I think this is suppose to be sometime next month. There's a post in here somewhere about it.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
I think this is suppose to be sometime next month. There's a post in here somewhere about it.
The rumor I have been hearing is that Ralph Giles will introduce the Hellcat at Spring Festival 9 in Irvine, CA (slated to run March 20-23). In what form or medium the Hellcat will be intro'd is also unknown (could be a full scale mockup or computer generated design rendition). It's an exciting teaser for folks going to SF9. I plan to be there ;)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I was on the phone the other day with one of my buddies involved with the SpringFest organizers, and he confirmed the Hellcat & Shaker Challenger will be there. Ralph found it much more fitting to present it to enthusiasts.

I'll be there...

This is year number 4 for me, and I'm looking forward to the Meet & Greet.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
23 Posts
in my opinion the challenger always been a more rich-boy vehicle unlike the barracuda it was cheeper, lighter and shorter wheelbase

it will be much nicer if the barracuda comes back under SRT brand name
shorter wheelbase , lighter , more European style and go head to head against Mustang and Camaro and keep the Challenger as a Grand Touring muscle car

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I would love to see an end of the Challenger run and start the LA Barracuda going forward. But again, this is all speculation and we have seen so many diff pics of the concept...

·
Registered
917 Posts

World Premiere (Hellcat): Saturday March 22, 2014 Springfest (Irvine, CA) / Wednesday April 16, 2014 - NY Auto Show

·
Premium Member
24,759 Posts
Interesting reading, looking forward to see what really transpires.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
AND...
That's exactly why I made my own 'Cuda Tribute Edition. (Didn't want to wait.)
The same holds true for those very few MoPar owners that created their own Convertible Challengers. (Remember: We were led to believe it MIGHT happen, and then, and then, and then - it was scrapped.)

Look at HOW LONG it took for the Chrysler Dodge folks to finally put together a motor that is supposed to surpass 600hp. My new question is: will (or when) it be available is a Crate Motor? If so, how much will it cost???

If Chrysler Dodge had forward thinking folks in decision making positions for the last FORTY YEARS - with their hands on the Purse-Strings; the company might still be in business (instead of Mercedes & now Fiat).

Sorry guys... Just venting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.