Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tire problem, or car problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place for this question...

I have a 2015 R/T that I have been running BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S tires on for the last 3 sets. I have been through these three sets in a matter of about 20 months.

Something interesting is that the center of my tires has been wearing more than the shoulder. I understand that too much pressure would cause the center to wear faster than the edges. After the first set, I decided to change things up. I lowered PSI to about 30 (car calls for 32) to see if the wear pattern would even out. But, it doesn't seem to matter how low I go, the tires continue to wear in the center quicker.

One other thing... These tires are only lasting me 12k-20k miles. I assume it's because of the soft compound, but my most recent set of tires lasted the shortest amount of time, and it's the only set I didn't go to the drag strip on.

Based on these two issues, does it seem like a tire problem or a car problem? Any input is appreciated.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
What is the heat like in your area? Pavement composition? I ask because when I was down in Mississppi... I went through tires pretty regularly.. high temps and most of roads made with an aggragate that included sea shells.. combined with my driving style.. the tires didn't stand a chance and I tried several brands.. the soft compounds don't help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the heat like in your area? Pavement composition? I ask because when I was down in Mississppi... I went through tires pretty regularly.. high temps and most of roads made with an aggragate that included sea shells.. combined with my driving style.. the tires didn't stand a chance and I tried several brands.. the soft compounds don't help..
I'm in the Houston, Tx area. Heat hasn't been an issue since I bought this last set in October. We've probably only been above 70 for a total of 3 or 4 weeks in the last 6 months. It's been unusually cold here. Normally, I'd say it's ridiculously hot, though.

Most of our roads are ashpalt, but there are a lot of concrete roads here, too. I can imagine concrete is harder on the tires than the softer asphalt. I do drive my car hard, but nearly never break tires loose. My most recent set is the easiest I have driven on tires and they only lasted 12k miles. I went to the drag strip 4 times on one set and they made it 20k. I just can't find a pattern here. Maybe it's just the soft compound.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm in the Houston, Tx area. Heat hasn't been an issue since I bought this last set in October. We've probably only been above 70 for a total of 3 or 4 weeks in the last 6 months. It's been unusually cold here. Normally, I'd say it's ridiculously hot, though.

Most of our roads are ashpalt, but there are a lot of concrete roads here, too. I can imagine concrete is harder on the tires than the softer asphalt. I do drive my car hard, but nearly never break tires loose. My most recent set is the easiest I have driven on tires and they only lasted 12k miles. I went to the drag strip 4 times on one set and they made it 20k. I just can't find a pattern here. Maybe it's just the soft compound.
above 70, 3 or 4 weeks in the past 6 months? No way! We've been above 70 much more than that over 6 months. https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHOU/2017/10/15/DailyHistory.html

And then when summer hits (probably another 2 - 3 weeks) we'll be much higher all the time. In the summer here, the asphalt roads are actually harder on the tires as the asphalt gets much hotter. So add in the heat of the asphalt with the friction of tires on pavement, and that's a recipe to heat up soft compound tires fast.

But yeah, I know your pain. The stock tires on my car needed replaced at 12k. I went with a harder compound when I replaced, in hopes of them lasting more than 12k. Only time will tell if that helps. You mentioned you drive your car hard (I do too). So remember that cornering also wears tires, especially fast cornering. When you turn, the car wants to go straight. So your're forcing the tires to do something they don't want to do, which means they are wearing down.

I assume you are rotating them regularly.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
forgot to mention, regarding the wearing out in the center.

Put flour on the ground in front of your tires and roll over it. Continue rolling, and your tire will leave a white impression on the ground. You can look at that impression and see if you are over inflated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
above 70, 3 or 4 weeks in the past 6 months? No way! We've been above 70 much more than that over 6 months. https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHOU/2017/10/15/DailyHistory.html

And then when summer hits (probably another 2 - 3 weeks) we'll be much higher all the time. In the summer here, the asphalt roads are actually harder on the tires as the asphalt gets much hotter. So add in the heat of the asphalt with the friction of tires on pavement, and that's a recipe to heat up soft compound tires fast.

But yeah, I know your pain. The stock tires on my car needed replaced at 12k. I went with a harder compound when I replaced, in hopes of them lasting more than 12k. Only time will tell if that helps. You mentioned you drive your car hard (I do too). So remember that cornering also wears tires, especially fast cornering. When you turn, the car wants to go straight. So your're forcing the tires to do something they don't want to do, which means they are wearing down.

I assume you are rotating them regularly.

Maybe I underestimated the amount of time. My bad!

I had your same issue with my factory tires. Got 14k out of those Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. I've only owned this set of tires since October, but the tires I did have during the summer lasted much longer. I dunno how that works. I know over-inflation is not my issue (thanks for the flour idea, though!) because I have run the tires as low as 28 PSI and still had the center of the tire wear faster. Even the fronts would wear faster in the center than the shoulders.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Maybe I underestimated the amount of time. My bad!

I had your same issue with my factory tires. Got 14k out of those Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. I've only owned this set of tires since October, but the tires I did have during the summer lasted much longer. I dunno how that works. I know over-inflation is not my issue (thanks for the flour idea, though!) because I have run the tires as low as 28 PSI and still had the center of the tire wear faster. Even the fronts would wear faster in the center than the shoulders.
No idea... Wearing out the center is only caused by over inflation as far as I know. But I'm no tire expert. So maybe someone that has an idea of some other cause will chime in here.

Reactions: ChrisRTplus

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Are you using a tire gauge or the EVIC TPMS to check your tire pressure? I have five different tire pressure gauges and they all read either high or low except the digital battery operated one. That one is within a half psi (0.5 psig) of what the car tells me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you using a tire gauge or the EVIC TPMS to check your tire pressure? I have five different tire pressure gauges and they all read either high or low except the digital battery operated one. That one is within a half psi (0.5 psig) of what the car tells me.
I usually go off of what the car says, but I have used Discount Tire's digital gauge as well as my own non-digital gauge. Should I not use the car as a good indicator? My gauge is not digital and usually reads about 2psi lower than what the car says. The digital gauge at Discount is usually on par with the car reading.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I would go with the what the car says and keep the gauge that matches the car pretty close. The rest should go in the trash. My Challenger has the tire pressure display but my truck doesn't. For years i didn't have the correct pressure in my truck tires because I just assumed the gauge I had was accurate.....once I found out the gauge was not accurate I bought a different one....and did that several times until I got one that matched the car....
Junk gauges from china.......

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
My F1 on my 2010 SRT lasted like 12000 km before they were toasted, and it was the inside that had the most wear. I do regularly check the tire pressure. After i did an alignment, it was better for the next set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My F1 on my 2010 SRT lasted like 12000 km before they were toasted, and it was the inside that had the most wear. I do regularly check the tire pressure. After i did an alignment, it was better for the next set.
No alignment issues here. I just had one done before this set of tires and it hasn't changed the wear pattern. Still wearing the center of the tire out before the outsides.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's the roads we have here in Texas more so than the car and the tire.

Reactions: N2rock

·
They see me rollin...
1,276 Posts
This can also happen if your tire is too wide for the rim.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Aggressive road surfaces in the Upstate of South Carolina toasted my original Goodyear F1's in 10k miles. Did some research and bought a set of Nitto Motiva's. They squeal a little if I corner hard, but they hold. After 15k miles on them, the tread is still deep and even. Wet driving is so much better than the Goodyears, as the grooves are deeper and a little wider to channel water. That is important as I drive country roads in the early morning (dark out) to go to work. These tires are rated for 60k miles... We'll see.

·
Premium Member
18,451 Posts
Not sure if this would have any effect,but does the car have aftermarket suspension components ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Aggressive road surfaces in the Upstate of South Carolina toasted my original Goodyear F1's in 10k miles. Did some research and bought a set of Nitto Motiva's. They squeal a little if I corner hard, but they hold. After 15k miles on them, the tread is still deep and even. Wet driving is so much better than the Goodyears, as the grooves are deeper and a little wider to channel water. That is important as I drive country roads in the early morning (dark out) to go to work. These tires are rated for 60k miles... We'll see.
I too went with the Nitto Motiva's. The thing I dislike about them is they are way too easy to break traction with on hard throttle. Definitely not going to be a good tire if doing any drag racing LOL

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
This can also happen if your tire is too wide for the rim.
Oh, that's a very good point! I forgot about that. Yeah, a tire too wide for the wheel will cause the tread to warp, which causes wear in the center.

Reactions: KrazMom

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have the same tire and the same wear problem on two of them. But they also have about 25k + on them. I have been running 32 psi. The center is clearly worn out more. Throwing on another set and we'll see how thoes do.
20180410_083053_resized.jpg
20180410_083100.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts