Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to budget ahead on mods for the Challenger. I have been looking at purhcasing new wheels because the stock 18" rims just arent where its at. I found some Boss wheels on ebay for a decent price. It is $660 for 18x8s, or $775 for 20x8.5s. The main question I have is about the factory rim size and rear end gears. I know that manual challengers with 18" rims have 3.73s, and 20" rims have 3.92s. I have read this is due to the larger rotating mass and heaver weight of the 20" rims. How would going to 20's affect my car? I know tires would be a little cheaper for the 18s, but I know 20's will give me better cornering. Just looking to get your personal experience and any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A wider tire will give you better corning, whether it's 18's or 20's. I have 20's and wouldn't think of going 18's unless on a track. If you go wider I would recommend getting splash guards as it will prevent rock chips and dirt being thrown up on the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on getting the stealth guards. I am going to get wider tires no matter which rim size I choose. I just wonder how much putting 20s on the car would affect performance with 3.73s out back.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
As long as the total tire diameter remains the same there won't be any significant changes to performance. If you increase the tire diameter you will effectively be reducing torque to the rear wheels at any given RPM...as well as requiring adjustments to your speedometer. You should be able to get 20 inch tires with the same diameter (or very close) to your current OEM 18 inch tires. The additional wheel weight should not be that significant.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As long as the total tire diameter remains the same there won't be any significant changes to performance. If you increase the tire diameter you will effectively be reducing torque to the rear wheels at any given RPM...as well as requiring adjustments to your speedometer. You should be able to get 20 inch tires with the same diameter (or very close) to your current OEM 18 inch tires. The additional wheel weight should not be that significant.
Completely agree on the diameter aspect. Also, depending what rims you currently have and which aftermarket rims you switch to, you might stay the same on weight or close to even by increasing size.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
***Make sure to get the correct offset on the new rims.***
You may find launching the car with the slightly taller wheel/tire is easier to avoid wheelspin on takeoff.
I'll echo what 1973Cuda and RWB44 stated, and add that you may want to go to at least a 9" wide rim if you decide to go with 20s.... the tire sizes will be easier to match at that width (and more width equals better traction). I have 20X9s up front, and 20X10s in the rear - and often wished I could stuff wider rubber in the back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got ya, thank yall for the input. The wheels I was looking at were the Boss 338's. I got interested this morning because you can get staggered packages for them. Wonder how 18x8's in the front, and 20 x 10's in the back would look.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Just something to keep in mind...if the front and back have different tire diameters it can wreck havoc with ABS and traction control.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,741 Posts
Just something to keep in mind...if the front and back have different tire diameters it can wreck havoc with ABS and traction control.
I think there is a 5% leeway, so if the difference between the front and rear does not exceed 5% there should be no problems.I am currently running with a 3% difference with no issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank yall for mentioning this, I was not aware of the 5%. Good thing I'm broke and haven't bought anything yet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts