Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to drive from New jersey to Florida. I have a brand new challenger RT with the 3.92 gears in the rear. The car runs at higher rpm's then I'm used to. Should I reconsider my road trip with my new baby, or do you think everything would be fine?

Thanks
Dave

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,992 Posts
I'm getting ready to drive from New jersey to Florida. I have a brand new challenger RT with the 3.92 gears in the rear. The car runs at higher rpm's then I'm used to. Should I reconsider my road trip with my new baby, or do you think everything would be fine?

Thanks
Dave
If you have an automatic you would have 3.06, 3.92s only come in the 6 speeds.Perhaps someone with an auto chime in on the RPMs at say 65. I would not worry about the car they were designed to be driven at speed.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
It's a brand new car. You have a warranty. Drive it! In five weeks we are driving from FL to NY (weather permitting). We have had our 2013 for 5 months, already racked up 8500 miles! They're cars, drive em! If it's snowing we will rent a car, no salt for me. I don't care about mileage, salt, that's a different story!

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
Your millage will increase with time and I go about 72 at around 2300 and 2500 around 82. I would personally I would love to have another gear with the auto something to turn about 1800 at 70. The hemi has plenty of power at that rpm. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
239 Posts
under warranty drive it like you are running from the law. remember metal parts have no brains they cant tell how fast they are spinning. besides they are made to be driven hard have fun on your trip

·
Registered
180 Posts
6 spd with 3.92 rear (lsd)

On extended trips at 60 mph, rpms are a consistent 1500, 70 about 1700 with mpg right at 30. Your vehicle was made for this kinda trip....its a cruiser baby!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone

We're leaving on the 7th and I'm gonna drive it like I stole it! You guys convinced me. I can't wait to get out of the snow and see some sandy beaches and sunshine.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
We're leaving on the 7th and I'm gonna drive it like I stole it! You guys convinced me. I can't wait to get out of the snow and see some sandy beaches and sunshine.
Have a great time....maybe take some pics. along the way. I'd kill to feel the hot sand between my toes!!

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
On extended trips at 60 mph, rpms are a consistent 1500, 70 about 1700 with mpg right at 30. Your vehicle was made for this kinda trip....its a cruiser baby!
I get about the same thing. 29.6 mpg to Gatty last June!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.