Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Road Trip to Colorado

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  MommaBetty 
#1 ·
I had a fun road trip to Colorado, that started yesterday morning and ended this evening at about 7:00 p.m. I drove over 650 miles, all of it very enjoyable, absolutely beautiful weather!!
I went to Strasburg, CO to visit my new great nephew! On the way I made a few stops and thought I would share a few pictures. I traveled through western Nebraska, stopping at Sidney, the home of famous Cabela's. The first picture shows their corporate headquarters which is located next to I-80, along with their impressive store. The next building picture is the original Cabela's store in downtown Sidney. I visited this store many times in the '70's. Sidney was my last stop before crossing into Colorado. I had to make a stop in Peetz, CO. This small town of about 300 pop. was famous in the past (mine included) for a place called the "Hot Spot". It was a meeting place of partying college students and young people from Nebraska!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Continuing on my trip, I am now into Colorado. I decided to take the back highways, skiping the Interstate 76 route. I traveled some lonesome highways, but great country. Big wheat farms are many, traffic and towns are far apart. The winter wheat is greening up nicely, as in my first photo. The next photo is of the middle of nowhere town of Last Chance, CO. A sign is all that really exists. There are no service stations, no post office, no businesses at all. A few houses are still around.
I was surprised as I got closer to Strasburg and glanced over to see a race track in the middle of wheat fields. Nothing else around it at all. Looked like a great place to get in some track time with your car.
Snapped a picture of this big wheat farmer's place. He had multiple combines at his farm and a several more down the road. One new combine costs around 400,000 to 500,000 dollars!
Finally, on the way home through Nebraska today, a last picture of what I call "Graveyard Tractors". This is in Bridgeport, NE. It is a massive lot of used parts, old tractors, etc.

I had a great trip and got to spend some quality time with family. I only met one Challenger on the road, and we both did a good wave! It would be kind of neat if we had a way to communicate like we would have in the '70s. Can you guess what that was?

Attachments

#7 ·
Betty you sure know how to get out there and enjoy your Challenger. I always enjoy your wide open space photos and those are no exception.
Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing. :smileup:

#8 ·
Since I am getting a "bad reputation" for my lead foot on the forum, I tried to keep the speed limit, (well for the most part). When I pulled into the driveway, I got 27.2 mpg. I am totally happy with that. Never got tired from all that driving. Just something about that Challenger. Thanks guys for the nice comments. I few more pics I will be posting in the other vehicle thread later.

#9 ·
wow nice trip traveling the eastern plains of a great state.next time pm me and we can meet somewhere

And yes High Plains , great track.

those lonesome roads out there gives a great perspective as to how large this country is, nice pics post more:smileup::smileup::smileup:

#12 ·
Great pictures Betty, thanks for posting. You should have given the Challenger some track time.

#15 ·
I am now into Colorado. I decided to take the back highways, skiping the Interstate 76 route. Big wheat farms are many, traffic and towns are far apart. The next photo is of the middle of nowhere town of Last Chance, CO. A sign is all that really exists. There are no service stations, no post office, no businesses at all.
LOL!!!! Last Chance, CO.!!! The sight of a week's vacation for me a few years ago. I hope you didn't go out of your way for that pic Betty. But thanks for taking it!!!!!! Awesome!!! :smileup:

:wavey:

#18 ·
Love the pictures. It would fun to do a road trip with you!

For your question...was it flipping the headlights on?
Thank you so much!

To answer the question: It would go something like this: "Breaker, breaker 19, black challenger, got a copy, this is Jazzbluebaby. Got your ears on?"

Wouldn't it be fun if you could actually use a CB and talk to other challengers along the road instead of simply waving! Think of the fun you would have on convoys of Challengers each with their "ears on"!

#21 ·
Betty, looks like you had a great time! Looks like that new camera of yours is getting a lot of mileage along with JazzBlueBaby! Keep em coming!

#22 ·
Great pics Betty! Looks like a lot of fun! The Challenger is an awesome car for roadtrips! Great scenery and the roads look so nice and smooth out there compared to here in Michigan, must be nice cruising down the highway with all that open road!

You didn't happen to see Bruce Dern wandering down the highway did you? Haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.