Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven their challengers on road trips?
Im debating on driving 647 miles one way to visit my son verses flying..
I dont know if they are good at long drives or to expensive
So if anyone has taken theirs on vacation for that long of a distance or further please share
Tx
Someone debating on driving 9.5 hrs or flying

·
Registered
367 Posts
Glad to have you on the Z. All Challengers are pretty good touring cars, some better than others but hell yeah, I guan-dang-tee you that it will be a whole lot more fun than the hassle involved with flying these days. Might even be faster lol...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Other time factors to consider. 2 hour early arrival at the airport, baggage claim, car rental, social distancing for all which adds even more time and none of it is fun...Driving is...👍

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NEVER thought of the 2 hr b4 or the other have not flown n awhile
I was just unsure and never have done it much less goinh alone
Lol

·
Registered
777 Posts
My brother and I took my 2016 Challenger on a road trip of around 1,200 miles in 4 days. These cars are great long distance drivers eating up highway miles in comfort and with ease. I enjoyed the long trip in the Challenger Shaker so much that I traded my Focus ST daily driver in on a 2017 Challenger GT so I could drive a Challenger all the time. Just check your tire inflation and condition, all fluids and hit the road with a good driving play list and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ty for ur encouragement
My brother and I took my 2016 Challenger on a road trip of around 1,200 miles in 4 days. These cars are great long distance drivers eating up highway miles in comfort and with ease. I enjoyed the long trip in the Challenger Shaker so much that I traded my Focus ST daily driver in on a 2017 Challenger GT so I could drive a Challenger all the time. Just check your tire inflation and condition, all fluids and hit the road with a good driving play list and enjoy the ride. View attachment 255583
Ty i just had a checkup this month on fluids and things
Was it expensive in gas

·
Registered
649 Posts
My wife and I have done a 2500 mile trip in my Scat Pack and it was awesome! Great gas mileage, comfortable, and most importantly - fun. I've also done a 1700 by myself and it was absolutely the same. Minus having her tell me where to go...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife and I have done a 2500 mile trip in my Scat Pack and it was awesome! Great gas mileage, comfortable, and most importantly - fun. I've also done a 1700 by myself and it was absolutely the same. Minus having her tell me where to go...
Lol im just never went on a trip of 648 miles alone n a car one way
Just nervous i BELIEVE plus never been there so gps i will rely on
Was ur trip good on gas

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Took mine down to central Florida from southeastern Virginia to see my parents....no big deal.......probably actually spent about the same on fuel as if I had I driven my Ram - just made more fuel stops due to a smaller fuel tank.

Even tho the SRT requires the more expensive fuel, it also gets better mpg, so I figure they kinda wash out....25 mpg in the car, 20 in the truck....50 cent more per gallon for fuel, but less fuel per fill up ??

Not sure about the seats in your car, but the ones in my SRT were very comfortable, and the ventilated option made it even better on the highway..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took mine down to central Florida from southeastern Virginia to see my parents....no big deal.......probably actually spent about the same on fuel as if I had I driven my Ram - just made more fuel stops due to a smaller fuel tank.

Even tho the SRT requires the more expensive fuel, it also gets better mpg, so I figure they kinda wash out....25 mpg in the car, 20 in the truck....50 cent more per gallon for fuel, but less fuel per fill up ??

Not sure about the seats in your car, but the ones in my SRT were very comfortable, and the ventilated option made it even better on the highway..
Kool my seats r very comfy
Thats kool yall r a huge help
I was just worried if a good idea plus the car if good idea

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ty for ur encouragement

Was it expensive in gas
Taking mine for a 300 mile drive in August.Its been on a 280 before which is when i brought it home from the dealer.
Ive taken my Ram many times on long trips (8 hours) so this will be cheaper on gas than the Ram was. Ram gets 17 MPG tops, i get around 24 with the Challenger.
Now if i dont need to have my vehicle with me on a trip like i did with my Truck, ...hec id fly. I did those for work purposes while staying there for a while.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,430 Posts
So if anyone has taken theirs on vacation for that long of a distance or further please share
Tx
Has to be safer than flying, coronavirus-wise. Other than that, it's a nice distance for a road trip. Not too long, can be done in a day or maybe two if there's other sites to see or visit along the way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Tx
These cars are surprisingly good on a trip. The seats are comfy, the trunk is huge, and if you have an automatic, the 4cyl mode at cruising speeds delivers pretty good gas mileage. Plus ... you'll have transportation when you reach your destination without renting a car or mooching rides off of your son.

My wife and I just spent 9 days in my 2015 Challenger SRT on a trip from Jacksonville, FL to Blowing Rock, NC and then down to Gatlinburg, TN for "Meet In The Mountains 2020." We covered just under 2,000 miles and the car never missed a beat. Even with my cleaning supplies, a couple of camp chairs, and a Modern Spare in the trunk; we still had room for two travel bags and a couple of bags for our picnicking and snacking during the week.

Reactions: Lani

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,871 Posts
Tx
If you look at the Challenger On The Road section, you will see many take their challengers on road trips. I am probably the most frequent poster in that thread! I drove almost 300 miles on Wednesday just cruising around after a dentist appointment. A few weeks ago I drove in the Nebraska Sandhills which have a lot of wide open roads. Got almost 29 mpg. at the end of May on a road trip with my husband to the Western Nebraska Panhandle. They get very good mileage on open roads! And I have a Scat!

Reactions: UP3985 and Lani

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ty for ur encouragement

Was it expensive in gas
Not to bad for a 392 Hemi I have a manual without MDS but at 65 to 75 in 6th gear on the highway I was getting about 25-26 MPG and I don't feather the gas pedal on acceleration. My Challenger GT with the V6 get almost 32 MPG on the highway. I have never cared about gas mileage having driven Oldsmobiles all my life My 1957 fiesta station wagon gets about 17 MPG and my 1964 Starfire a whopping 14 or 15.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts