Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gas mileage? We used to not care much about it when premium was 32 cents a gallon. I had a '66 Charger 426 4 spd with 4:10 gears. Got less than 10 on the hiway and around 4 around town but I drove it like it was intended to be driven (my dad owned a gas station).

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Longest road trip in my Challenger was from northeast PA to Gatlinburg TN two summers ago. About 650 miles each way and took about 9 hrs or so straight thru driving. We averaged about 27 MPG including some occasional high speed blasts. They are great cars for road trips.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Kool my seats r very comfy
Thats kool yall r a huge help
I was just worried if a good idea plus the car if good idea

Honestly, the hardest part of the whole trip was NOT putting my foot in it every time some yahoo wanted to show off or race..............

I set the cruise @ the speed limit, and let it ride......got 25.7 mpg (hand calculated) in an SRT 392...not too bad. The lie-o-meter in the dash said 27 or so mpg I think.

On the way back l home, I did 'experience' a few triple digit speeds...and also used the adaptive cruise control....that is the ticket for long highway trips....I like it !

·
Premium Member
17,045 Posts
If you enjoy driving,you will love doing it in your Challenger. Very smooth and comfortable ride. Your SPM will be just as good as your MPG if not better.
Don't forget how cool it will be for Mom to show up for your son's birthday in a Challenger.
Enjoy !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
These cars are surprisingly good on a trip. The seats are comfy, the trunk is huge, and if you have an automatic, the 4cyl mode at cruising speeds delivers pretty good gas mileage. Plus ... you'll have transportation when you reach your destination without renting a car or mooching rides off of your son.

My wife and I just spent 9 days in my 2015 Challenger SRT on a trip from Jacksonville, FL to Blowing Rock, NC and then down to Gatlinburg, TN for "Meet In The Mountains 2020." We covered just under 2,000 miles and the car never missed a beat. Even with my cleaning supplies, a couple of camp chairs, and a Modern Spare in the trunk; we still had room for two travel bags and a couple of bags for our picnicking and snacking during the week.
Ty for your help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ty
If you enjoy driving,you will love doing it in your Challenger. Very smooth and comfortable ride. Your SPM will be just as good as your MPG if not better.
Don't forget how cool it will be for Mom to show up for your son's birthday in a Challenger.
Enjoy !

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As everyone else has said...awesome car on the highway! Very comfortable, no back ache, compliments while fueling 😎 and great gas mileage for a hemi. 27 mpg at 80 mph under 2,000 rpm with my 6 speed manual. Fun to drive anywhere long or short trips. Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As everyone else has said...awesome car on the highway! Very comfortable, no back ache, compliments while fueling 😎 and great gas mileage for a hemi. 27 mpg at 80 mph under 2,000 rpm with my 6 speed manual. Fun to drive anywhere long or short trips. Enjoy!
Ty

·
Administrator
48,723 Posts
You should be in the 28mpg range. Just did a 600 mile round trip with the Charger R/T few weeks ago and got 28.5 mpg and that was up and down big hills and it is heavier than a Challenger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You should be in the 28mpg range. Just did a 600 mile round trip with the Charger R/T few weeks ago and got 28.5 mpg and that was up and down big hills and it is heavier than a Challenger.
Idk
That kool ..yeah im gonna be doing 647 i believe one way and staying awhile and driving back..
Just was curious to take car or fly
Then i would have to get rides to a from airport and leave on their times
Plus im nervous first time in car that long of a distance alone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Took mine down to central Florida from southeastern Virginia to see my parents....no big deal.......probably actually spent about the same on fuel as if I had I driven my Ram - just made more fuel stops due to a smaller fuel tank.

Even tho the SRT requires the more expensive fuel, it also gets better mpg, so I figure they kinda wash out....25 mpg in the car, 20 in the truck....50 cent more per gallon for fuel, but less fuel per fill up ??

Not sure about the seats in your car, but the ones in my SRT were very comfortable, and the ventilated option made it even better on the highway..
Ty for your help
Sounds fun

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Drove solo from Florida to Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Detroit Michigan and back in 2016. No aches no pains and a smile every mile. Go for it.
WOW
Thats awesome i bet that was fun..
I think im just nervous and over thinking.
Ive never went that far in the car plus to a place alone i dont know
Lol
CRAZY huh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
WOW
Lol
CRAZY huh
You will have 2 stop twice each way just look for a busy gas station and you should be fine.
Ty i think im just worried ...over thinking it .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
WOW
Lol
CRAZY huh
You will have 2 stop twice each way just look for a busy gas station and you should be fine.
Ty i think im just worried ...over thinking it .

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,197 Posts
WOW
Lol
CRAZY huh
It was a blast - my sig pic is from Detroit. Stick to well travelled roads - interstates, main state roads, if it looks shady, don't stop. Keep you phone charged and handy, don't flash cash, don't stop any place that doesn't have a large number of people.....

Time it so that you start early morn and hit a familiar place by night fall. Are you going to try it in a single day, or overnight halfway?

If you don't mind my asking, where from/to?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was a blast - my sig pic is from Detroit. Stick to well travelled roads - interstates, main state roads, if it looks shady, don't stop. Keep you phone charged and handy, don't flash cash, don't stop any place that doesn't have a large number of people.....

Time it so that you start early morn and hit a familiar place by night fall. Are you going to try it in a single day, or overnight halfway?

I was thinking to start at 4 or 5am and just go one time and be there by lunch or 1pm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It was a blast - my sig pic is from Detroit. Stick to well travelled roads - interstates, main state roads, if it looks byshady, don't stop. Keep you phone charged and handy, don't flash cash, don't stop any place that doesn't have a large number of people.....

Leaving wv to go to savannah

21 - 40 of 74 Posts