Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,197 Posts
Leaving wv to go to savannah
You'll be FINE.... That's part of the route I took coming back from Detroit. Picked up I-77 in Ohio and took it to I-26 in SC....The road was great. Never felt uncomfortable on any of it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
WOW
Thats awesome i bet that was fun..
I think im just nervous and over thinking.
Ive never went that far in the car plus to a place alone i dont know
Lol
CRAZY huh

You got this! My mom drove herself back and forth from Florida to Illinois every year until she was in her early-80s. I finally convinced her to let me drive her when she was 84 .... and then she sat back and enjoyed the scenery she'd been missing.

Check (or have someone check) your tire pressure and all of the fluid levels a few days before you leave so you're not rushing around at the last minute. I like to get an early start and I try to time my trip to avoid rush hour in any large cities at the end of my travel day. Hopefully you'll be able to break the trip up into a couple of segments so you're not doing too many long hauls.

If you haven't travelled much with your navigation system, use if for a few routine trips to get accustomed to it's prompts and instructions. Personally ... I prefer to use the car's GPS nav system over a phone-based nav system. Although, the phone-based systems tend to be more up-to-date, you're reliant on having a phone signal. Mobile phone service is usually excellent along major highways .... but that Murphy guy and his pesky laws means you're apt to have no phone signal when you need it most.

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You got this! My mom drove herself back and forth from Florida to Illinois every year until she was in her early-80s. I finally convinced her to let me drive her when she was 84 .... and then she sat back and enjoyed the scenery she'd been missing.

Check (or have someone check) your tire pressure and all of the fluid levels a few days before you leave so you're not rushing around at the last minute. I like to get an early start and I try to time my trip to avoid rush hour in any large cities at the end of my travel day. Hopefully you'll be able to break the trip up into a couple of segments so you're not doing too many long hauls.

If you haven't travelled much with your navigation system, use if for a few routine trips to get accustomed to it's prompts and instructions. Personally ... I prefer to use the car's GPS nav system over a phone-based nav system. Although, the phone-based systems tend to be more up-to-date, you're reliant on having a phone signal. Mobile phone service is usually excellent along major highways .... but that Murphy guy and his pesky laws means you're apt to have no phone signal when you need it most.
Right
Well all i have is phone gps i dont have navi in challenger

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Right

Then make sure you write down directions just in case....and take them with you

·
Registered
516 Posts
Right
Does your Challenger have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?

I rode with a buddy in his '17 Charger Daytona from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale a few months ago. He used Apple Car Play and the Waze app and it worked very well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Does your Challenger have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?

I rode with a buddy in his '17 Charger Daytona from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale a few months ago. He used Apple Car Play and the Waze app and it worked very well.
Idk i never looked for it
I have android but what is waze
Or android auto

·
Registered
516 Posts
Idk i never looked for it
I have android but what is waze
Or android auto
I forget everyone doesn't have the same infotainment system.

Android Auto lets you put your phone screen on the car's infotainment screen. There's a page on it in the owner's manual .. Page 302 in the manual I grabbed online. Here's info from their website: Android Auto

The Waze app works pretty good for directions. People like it because it is also a good source for knowing how heavy traffic is and even where the po-po are hiding. So if you have the Waze app on your phone, then you'll be able to use it through Android Auto on your car's infotainment system. You can download the app through you App Store. Keep in mind that it can be a bit of a data hog and battery drain so make sure you can keep your phone charged.

Waze App Information

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Has anyone driven their challengers on road trips?
Im debating on driving 647 miles one way to visit my son verses flying..
I dont know if they are good at long drives or to expensive
So if anyone has taken theirs on vacation for that long of a distance or further please share
Tx
Someone debating on driving 9.5 hrs or flying
Wife and I have gone on many long road trips and we enjoyed every mile in comfort doing so. A Challenger is a very reliable vehicle. The only expensive part is if your right foot gets heavy all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Android Auto lets you put your phone screen on the car's infotainment screen. There's a page on it in the owner's manual .. Page 302 in the manual I grabbed online. Here's info from their website: Android Auto

The Waze app works pretty good for directions. People like it because it is also a good source for knowing how heavy traffic is and even where the po-po are hiding. So if you have the Waze app on your phone, then you'll be able to use it through Android Auto on your car's infotainment system. You can download the app through you App Store. Keep in mind that it can be a bit of a data hog and battery drain so make sure you can keep your phone charged.

Waze App Information
Ty very much i will look nto it

·
Registered
648 Posts
Lol im just never went on a trip of 648 miles alone n a car one way
Just nervous i BELIEVE plus never been there so gps i will rely on
Was ur trip good on gas
Sorry I missed your question: I got over 25MPG on both trips. It was alot of two-laned highway with scenic stops and some stretches of "close to the speed limit" blasts.

One last thought: you sound like you've not done this before, so not to be condescending - but think of safety - map your route out ahead of time, let your son or someone in the family know when and how you are travelling. You've said you don't have NAV - I just use my iPhone with Waze as you've mentioned. Totally easy, works just fine.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
First, WELCOME DRIVER!!! You will find GREAT people and info here - all my best to you from the National Capitol Region (NCR)...or as is more better known...NO CHANCE for REASON.
Second, I did Three IronButt Rides - each was 1,012 miles in less than 24 hours - and those were on 2 wheeled vehicles! LOL !! You will love long drives & trips in your Challenger! Jim

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can't imagine a better car to take a trip in, unless it was one of the old "floaters" like my dad's '69 Cadillac. My present car has only been to Columbus twice and Port Clinton twice. My last car went to Chicago, Columbus, Ft. Wayne, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and a couple of other places. If I let it go to 4 cyl mode, it did very well on the highway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Waze App Information
Ty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Ty
Sorry I missed your question: I got over 25MPG on both trips. It was alot of two-laned highway with scenic stops and some stretches of "close to the speed limit" blasts.

One last thought: you sound like you've not done this before, so not to be condescending - but think of safety - map your route out ahead of time, let your son or someone in the family know when and how you are travelling. You've said you don't have NAV - I just use my iPhone with Waze as you've mentioned. Totally easy, works just fine.
Ty
I just printed the directions and downloaded waze to help me
I will leave at 4 or 5 am so at least it will be daylight during most of it

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
First, WELCOME DRIVER!!! You will find GREAT people and info here - all my best to you from the National Capitol Region (NCR)...or as is more better known...NO CHANCE for REASON.
Second, I did Three IronButt Rides - each was 1,012 miles in less than 24 hours - and those were on 2 wheeled vehicles! LOL !! You will love long drives & trips in your Challenger! Jim

You mean less than 24 hrs APART right....

...cuz 3 - 1,012 mile trips in less than 24 hours means you were doing over 127 mph for 24 hrs straight...no stopping for fuel or potty breaks or even food......

41 - 60 of 74 Posts