Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, taking a long ride in your Challenger is always a great drive on the open road. You can stop into see places along the way you never would have flying.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Has anyone driven their challengers on road trips?
Im debating on driving 647 miles one way to visit my son verses flying..
I dont know if they are good at long drives or to expensive
So if anyone has taken theirs on vacation for that long of a distance or further please share
Tx
Someone debating on driving 9.5 hrs or flying
Have not yet had my Hellcat out on a road trip. It gets its first one next month when I drive it 2K from CA to ARK.

I have driven a number of my cars on long road trips, mostly consisting of a 2K mile from CA to y parents' house back in MO then of course making the return leg.

Used to love to fly but I avoid now whenever I can. And I can avoid it a lot.

If you can drive the distance in one day you save the cost of a hotel room. But don't over do it if you get tired stop for the night. Have to tell you 647 miles in one day is a full day's drive. If you can average 65mph that nearly 10 hours of driving and I mean driving.

Couple of things. I keep my cars in good condition and before I leave the local dealer would give my car a road worthiness inspection. The tech would look for signs of fluid leaks, check brake wear, tire wear and condition.

Warning. Do not venture out on worn tires. Tech found worn rear tires -- down the wear bars -- and cautioned me about leaving for a 2k mile drive on those tires. I thought I can nurse them 2K miles to then have new tires fitted at another dealer at my destination and a dealer who had offered me a good deal on tires.

Made it to Fresno when I noticed a rear tire low. It had picked up some metal. Slow leak. I drove back home. Local dealer had no tires in stock. Dealer 35 miles away did. Drove there and to a hotel room. Next AM the tires were not in stock. Called around and found tires at a dealer in Sacramento. Drove there and got all 4 tires replaced. Ignoring the tech's caution cost me 2 days, 1 night and close to an extra 1K miles of driving.

I time my trips so the engine has fresh oil in it. Highway miles are generally easy miles but I have encountered very high ambient temperatures upon occasion: 111F, 116F, even 119F; and it is nice to know the engine has fresh oil.

Be sure you watch your speed. While the highway might appear to be "empty" over the years with a V1 (radar detector) and a hand held CB radio I can assure you no matter how empty the road ahead appears there are bears (law enforcement officers) waiting to catch the speeder. Don't know where you are but where I drive I have found them even to be in the air. Some sections of freeways are patrolled from the air. But the bear in the air needs ground support and that's how one can know a bear in the is operating. (On I-40 heading west out of Needles caught sight of a small plane flying "low" and off to the side of the freeway. While small planes often follow major roads/highways they all fly over it and some distance above. I was not speeding at any rate. Shortly after I spotted the plane my V1 alarmed. A bit further and I came upon two CA highway patrol cars parked on the shoulder. One obviously had its radar on.)

Watch for road debris. Mostly the carcasses of shredded truck tires but in the mountains or just hilly terrain it can be rocks. Or livestock. Or wild animals.

As long as one is cool gas mileage can be pretty good. I'm sure though my Hellcat won't deliver Prius gas mileage. But with other high performance cars the gas mileage has averaged from 24mpg (Porsche Turbo); 26mpg (2006 GTO); to nearly 28mpg (Porsche Boxster). 'course, my VW Golf TDi beat them all with a 40mpg average over the same route.

I like the driving. It is relaxing. One gets to see some country. And I have a car to use when I get to where I am going that I am familiar with and like to drive.

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
Best all around road trip car ever imo!!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,430 Posts
Best all around road trip car ever imo!!
n
Now I remember you. You were that dusty guy who drove a cool RT.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
You mean less than 24 hrs APART right....

...cuz 3 - 1,012 mile trips in less than 24 hours means you were doing over 127 mph for 24 hrs straight...no stopping for fuel or potty breaks or even food......
Well - The IronButt Association entry ride is 1K in less than 24 hrs. After that - you can dos an SS2K - or SS3K etc - which is the SADDLE SORE (basic 1000 miles in less than 24 hours). I did three separate 1K rides. Then there is the 50CC - 50 hors Coast to Coast - usually Jacksonville FL to San Diego. Then the 100CC - truly tough guys. But the TOPUGHEST are the finishers of the IRON BUTT RALLY - 1000 miles per day for 10 days -- and you never the route more than a day at a time - toughest for sure. But those days are gone for me! Jim

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well - The IronButt Association entry ride is 1K in less than 24 hrs. After that - you can dos an SS2K - or SS3K etc - which is the SADDLE SORE (basic 1000 miles in less than 24 hours). I did three separate 1K rides. Then there is the 50CC - 50 hors Coast to Coast - usually Jacksonville FL to San Diego. Then the 100CC - truly tough guys. But the TOPUGHEST are the finishers of the IRON BUTT RALLY - 1000 miles per day for 10 days -- and you never the route more than a day at a time - toughest for sure. But those days are gone for me! Jim

So, you did 1000/day for 3 days....not 3x in 1 day....got it

Reactions: JIMOLDFED

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,871 Posts
WOW
Thats awesome i bet that was fun..
I think im just nervous and over thinking.
Ive never went that far in the car plus to a place alone i dont know
Lol
CRAZY huh
I drive alone in my Scat all the time, go to Colorado to see family, about 250-300 miles one way. Take LOTS of road trips by myself, and I am a 70 yr. old gal! Enjoy that car!!
Since I am an old school gal, I also think a road atlas is a nice backup. Maps seem to give a much clearer and bigger picture of the states and roads.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have not yet had my Hellcat out on a road trip. It gets its first one next month when I drive it 2K from CA to ARK.

I have driven a number of my cars on long road trips, mostly consisting of a 2K mile from CA to y parents' house back in MO then of course making the return leg.

Used to love to fly but I avoid now whenever I can. And I can avoid it a lot.

If you can drive the distance in one day you save the cost of a hotel room. But don't over do it if you get tired stop for the night. Have to tell you 647 miles in one day is a full day's drive. If you can average 65mph that nearly 10 hours of driving and I mean driving.

Couple of things. I keep my cars in good condition and before I leave the local dealer would give my car a road worthiness inspection. The tech would look for signs of fluid leaks, check brake wear, tire wear and condition.

Warning. Do not venture out on worn tires. Tech found worn rear tires -- down the wear bars -- and cautioned me about leaving for a 2k mile drive on those tires. I thought I can nurse them 2K miles to then have new tires fitted at another dealer at my destination and a dealer who had offered me a good deal on tires.

Made it to Fresno when I noticed a rear tire low. It had picked up some metal. Slow leak. I drove back home. Local dealer had no tires in stock. Dealer 35 miles away did. Drove there and to a hotel room. Next AM the tires were not in stock. Called around and found tires at a dealer in Sacramento. Drove there and got all 4 tires replaced. Ignoring the tech's caution cost me 2 days, 1 night and close to an extra 1K miles of driving.

I time my trips so the engine has fresh oil in it. Highway miles are generally easy miles but I have encountered very high ambient temperatures upon occasion: 111F, 116F, even 119F; and it is nice to know the engine has fresh oil.

Be sure you watch your speed. While the highway might appear to be "empty" over the years with a V1 (radar detector) and a hand held CB radio I can assure you no matter how empty the road ahead appears there are bears (law enforcement officers) waiting to catch the speeder. Don't know where you are but where I drive I have found them even to be in the air. Some sections of freeways are patrolled from the air. But the bear in the air needs ground support and that's how one can know a bear in the is operating. (On I-40 heading west out of Needles caught sight of a small plane flying "low" and off to the side of the freeway. While small planes often follow major roads/highways they all fly over it and some distance above. I was not speeding at any rate. Shortly after I spotted the plane my V1 alarmed. A bit further and I came upon two CA highway patrol cars parked on the shoulder. One obviously had its radar on.)

Watch for road debris. Mostly the carcasses of shredded truck tires but in the mountains or just hilly terrain it can be rocks. Or livestock. Or wild animals.

As long as one is cool gas mileage can be pretty good. I'm sure though my Hellcat won't deliver Prius gas mileage. But with other high performance cars the gas mileage has averaged from 24mpg (Porsche Turbo); 26mpg (2006 GTO); to nearly 28mpg (Porsche Boxster). 'course, my VW Golf TDi beat them all with a 40mpg average over the same route.

I like the driving. It is relaxing. One gets to see some country. And I have a car to use when I get to where I am going that I am familiar with and like to drive.
I love my V1 and am looking forward to getting a V1-Gen2 as soon as a little money starts coming in again.

On our vacation a couple of weeks ago, I accidentally caught (and broke) the MirrorTap power cord with my sun shade on Day 3. Traveling the rest of the week without the V1 was a little painful. .... Though my mpg did improve a smidge. ;)

Totally agree about driving being relaxing. We had to make a couple of family-near-emergency trips during isolation and the lack of traffic was wonderful!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I drive alone in my Scat all the time, go to Colorado to see family, about 250-300 miles one way. Take LOTS of road trips by myself, and I am a 70 yr. old gal! Enjoy that car!!
Since I am an old school gal, I also think a road atlas is a nice backup. Maps seem to give a much clearer and bigger picture of the states and roads.
My mom drove solo Florida to Illinois and back for a number of years -- until she was 84.

YES .... to carrying an atlas or at least maps. Even with NAV in the car and on our iPhones, I still keep a state map for each state we're traveling through in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
1000 miles in one day (24 hours) is a pretty good distance. I don't recall -- and I think I would remember -- doing 1K miles in 24 hours. My highest number of miles is around 750 miles: San Jose CA to Salt Lake City. Or a bit fewer miles (~720) San Jose to Flagstaff.

1000 miles or close to it (~960 miles) would be San Jose to Grants NM. Frankly I'm doing good if I can make it to Flagstaff. Sometimes Williams is as far as I get or even Kingman. I feel like a failure if I can't get out of CA but sometimes I get a late start and I end up in Needles for the night.

I do recall back in 1971 when I rode with my grandfather we left Joplin MO early one day and spent the night in some place in NM and the next night -- late -- we rolled into San Jose. He drove the entire distance around 1800 miles in two long days. (I didn't have a drivers license at the time.) Some sections were freeway but some were 2 lane blacktop, route 66. He drove pretty fast. No radar then and the highways were lightly patrolled. I do not recall seeing one police/state trooper car the entire trip.

A late model -- for then -- Rambler believe it or not. No AC either. We covered the entire distance with the windows down. It was summer and it was hot.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
challengers are great for road trips. the chassis is basically the e class Mercedes from the days when Daimler owned Chrysler. cooled seats, stereo pumping and full tank, you are good to go. be safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Once you road trip with your Challenger, you may never want to use another car for that reason. I took my T/A 392 on the Hot Road Power Tour last summer. Over 2200 miles and it was a blast the whole way. On top of that, the car averaged around 22-23 miles to the gallon most of the time as well. My car does not have many miles on it, but it was certainly a car made for driving.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts