6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Russian strategic bombers conduct
more than 16 incursions of US air
defense zones

By Bill Gertz
Published August 07, 2014
Washington Free Beacon

Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted at least 16 incursions into northwestern U.S. air defense identification zones over the past 10 days, an unusually sharp increase in aerial penetrations, according to U.S. defense officials.

The numerous flight encounters by Tu-95 Russian Bear H bombers prompted the scrambling of U.S. jet fighters on several occasions, and come amid heightened U.S.-Russia tensions over Ukraine.

Also, during one bomber incursion near Alaska, a Russian intelligence-gathering jet was detected along with the bombers.

“Over the past week, NORAD has visually identified Russian aircraft operating in and around the U.S. air defense identification zones,” said Maj. Beth Smith, spokeswoman for U.S. Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

Smith called the Russian flights “a spike in activity” but sought to play down the threat, stating the flights were assessed as routine training missions and exercises.

Click for more from The Washington Free Beacon

<Comment>

There is NOTHING routine about these incidents and US security. Lets do
something, lets SHOOT a couple down as soon as they violate US Airspace.
Looks like Putin is spoiling for a fight, or is looking for that mystic "red line"
that our POTUS speaks of on occasion.

:eek:ld:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I think that is a routine practice both sides do all of the time. Our forces do the same thing. Its just posturing......

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Sounds to me like Putin is testing the waters to see if Obama has a spine.

Oh, how I long for the days when uncle Ron was at the helm. He would have issued a firm smack to the head rather quickly..............

Makes me think of the scene from Gran Torino where Clint tells the hoodlums to get off his lawn..

Freaking red stain - just can't get rid of it............

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,445 Posts
You are spot on Jon!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Looks like the old Soviet Union is coming back. This went on all the time during the Cold War. Surprised they still have the TU-95/TU-142 Bear still flying, I guess if you have enough hanger queens you can keep anything flying. They used to fly by us all the time when we were deployed aboard ship and the Navy would chase them away with an F-4 or F-14. I do believe they are testing Washington to see what the reaction is going to be. But it look like the politicians could care else, look at whats going on at the Southern border.

Reactions: jklotz10

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a ground pounder in the Marines during the early 70's I spent most of my time on Navy ships. We were constantly shadowed by Russian destroyers that would zig zag across the wakes of LST's to show off their speed. Of course a destroyer is much faster than an LST or LPD, I served on both. If we were part of a fleet of ships on an operation with a carrier around they didn't dare try it. Our carriers are protected heavily against this type of harassment. I don't know much about todays carriers but back then you didn't want to tease a carrier group. Anyways, I saw some of those bomber pics on Yahoo of several grouped together on and they look like American B-52's . There was a pic of a single Russian bomber and a single fighter that looked like a painting or a print. Not sure how these pics were crossed up but they were. For that reason I don't believe half the stories I hear and read that comes from the white house press. Also, Russian air space is very close to Alaska so it's common for them to fly close to our air space. I think the guys in Washington are just trying to stir the pot against Russia. Our presidents way of getting back at him and his over whelming popularity for stepping across the red lines, lol. There are too many lies coming out about who is starting what and who the bad guys are. Not to mention all the scandals that I believe both parties are involved in. I wish we would just stay the hell out of the middle east and quit giving these guys money and weapons which eventually get used against us. You would think we learned from the fall of Saigon which I saw first hand to the Iraq wars. I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. Till then I say stay out of Ukraine's problem as well, it's partly our fault anyway..

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Sounds to me like Putin is testing the waters to see if Obama has a spine.
Does it look like this retard has a spine? He probably has one of those handlebar ringers. :i_rolleyes:

Attachments

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Tu-95 Bear bombers are as old as our B-52s (1950s designs) but not as capable. Granted however, that they do retain their nuclear capability. The Russians typically employ them in the role of maritime reconnaisance much like we use P-3 Orions, but we do need to challenge them when they get too close or cross our airspace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts