Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I need advice cause at this point I'm frustrated. So a little history here. Bought car when it first showed up on showroom floor October 2008. Its a 2009 R/T that I just love. At present it has about 90,000 miles for being 5 years old. Looks great and folks think its a newer year when they see it. So on with my complaint.. Just recently I noticed that their is a spot (behind drivers door in lower quarter panel, in front of wheel) has rust coming out underneath paint. WHAT I SAY.. I'm the type that really takes care of my cars, with detailing, waxing and washing every time I can. Yes over the winter its been through the car washes, but still. This shouldn't have happened. (just within the winter months?) No where else is their anything. So I called Chrysler and logged a case. Had to take it in to dealership for them to take pic's and send back to Chrysler. Then I get told sorry its out of warranty, and we don't feel its a manufacture defect. I explained how its under 100,000 miles..How its the only spot and can tell that this is manufacture defect. They refuse to do anything else saying the "Digital Imaging" department has made the decision and that's final. I've asked about going higher up the chain and told me that is nothing else. I've then called Charlotte Chrysler office and found that I need to show up when the district manager of that dealership is there and he can maybe over turn it. So know I wait. In mean time I feel all should be ware that lord forbid this happens to you. Cause don't seem Chrysler wants to stand behind you and help. Yes I could see if it was over 8 years old..loads of miles and not kept up. However we all know how much these cars cost and we all take "pride" in our rides. I'm glad I've found your site cause I don't know what else to do. Except pay for it my self.. So if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
hard to believe there'd be any rust on it at all being a "southern car". i could maybe understand that happening up here in Wisconsin with our slushy, salty roads for 6 months out of the year, but down there?

good luck and i hope they help you out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
as you said see the factory rep. when he is scheduled to be at your dealer. The body is warrantied for 100,000 miles but----------- those sneaky sons of guns have put specific clauses in their verbage to avoid any help to you and your car.Check your owners manual ,I have a 2011 and its on page 412 .They say warranty is 'regional' meaning if you live in a predomenently wet ,salty, or snowy area your very limited to claims ,if an at all! I say Bull!!!! present your case to the factory rep. get his/or her opinion and insist on some help with this. good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes but---- as I stated I was in the business for 35 yrs there is a 'hidden' warranty known to Chrysler/dodge as 'goodwill' this is usually another 12months. that's why I suggested getting the factory rep involved as well good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh by the way, they call it 'goodwill' meaning just that. they want to satisfy the customer (if he knows about the goodwill policy) before it turns into a legal matter. Dodge just hopes the consumer follows the guidelines of the written warranty and if satisfaction is not prevelant , will just say to themselves oh well the warranty is up and goes on to buy another car;hopefully another one of their products

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm shocked after 5 years you'd have any rust regardless of where you live. I hope they help you out with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The problem is that DODGE uses a FOAM insulation material in the lower fender just in front of the rear wheels by the rocker panel.
This FOAM acts like a sponge and soaks up water and it sits there WET against the bare metal.
Over years it causes body rust from the INSIDE, starts with bubbling in the paint.
There's a HUGE thread about this in the other "Red Banner" Challenger forum.

Once you see the bubbled paint theres a LOT of rust underneath.

Everyone should tear out that foam insulation or they eventually will have rust issues.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Watch the video mega factories Dodge Challenger, one scene it shows that foam being put every where, rockers, any voids etc, supposedly to kill road noise... I'm afraid this is only the beginning of problems with this stuff...

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
The problem is that DODGE uses a FOAM insulation material in the lower fender just in front of the rear wheels by the rocker panel.
This FOAM acts like a sponge and soaks up water and it sits there WET against the bare metal.
Over years it causes body rust from the INSIDE, starts with bubbling in the paint.
There's a HUGE thread about this in the other "Red Banner" Challenger forum.

Once you see the bubbled paint theres a LOT of rust underneath.

Everyone should tear out that foam insulation or they eventually will have rust issues.

Yep it's sad to see that this rust issue is showing up on more and more Challengers, particularly as in most of these cases the car seems to be well cared for. I know of at least one case that I've now seen first hand, this is one issue that shouldn't be showing up on cars that are only five or so years old, especially considering the lengths most Challenger owners go to, to keep their cars clean. I hope Chrysler is paying attention and can figure a way to improve the situation, whether that means removing the foam or fixing a drain hole, etc.

Reactions: Ronn222

·
Premium Member
12,543 Posts
The regional Manager has control over these types of things... back in the 80's I had a silver Dodge Rampage pick up that the paint in the bed started peeling off. The regional manager gave his blessing to have my entire truck painted.., Good Luck follow the steps be firm but don't get too crazy... the outcome I am sure will be in your favor....

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,762 Posts
Yep it's sad to see that this rust issue is showing up on more and more Challengers, particularly as in most of these cases the car seems to be well cared for. I know of at least one case that I've now seen first hand, this is one issue that shouldn't be showing up on cars that are only five or so years old, especially considering the lengths most Challenger owners go to, to keep their cars clean. I hope Chrysler is paying attention and can figure a way to improve the situation, whether that means removing the foam or fixing a drain hole, etc.
Even though I am in a"dry Climate" I am worried about this also. I have not seen anything yet but I wonder if the issue may take longer to surface?

·
Registered
636 Posts
What's this goodwill warranty cover & how does it work?
Any manufacturer can do a "goodwill warranty".
It's basically a repair done even though the vehicle technically is out of warranty.

Here's an example.
I bought a 2000 Honda Civic brand new and it had a 3 year 36,000 warranty.
At about 40,000 miles the drivers side window stopped working, dealer said the motor was bad.
I contacted Honda Customer Service and said I'd expect a power window motor to last more than 40,000 miles and they agreed.....so they replaced it no charge as a "goodwill warranty" repair.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Even though I am in a"dry Climate" I am worried about this also. I have not seen anything yet but I wonder if the issue may take longer to surface?
I wouldn't be too concerned.
All the rust out issues have been back East or in Canada where they get a lot of winter rain and snow.....Tucson is VERY dry as you know.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I gotta e-mail from dodge asking how my oil change went at dealer,at the end of survey they asked if I had any concerns about dodge or my car in particular, I asked about the rash of rust issues @ 5 years these cars are now starting to have, and if rust warranty will cover them.... crickets from dodge.....

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Did the OP ever get back and update us on his/her situation? Would be interested to know if it was resolved at all or if they just say screw you you're on your own.

My car had the same rust issues as well and it was also well cared for, cleaned/detailed/waxed, etc. I was pissed to say the least when I saw little rust bubbles popping out. I'd like to know if there is a way to remove this foam crap somehow without tearing apart the car too much.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts