Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having body rust or rot issues with their Challenger?

I have a ‘13 R/T that I bought in ‘14 with only 9,000 miles on it. Everything was perfect on the car. It was in pristine condition. Then, last summer, I noticed that a few small bubbles started popping up on the lower part of the right rear quarter panel right in front of the rear tire and just above the rocker panel. The paint looked fine, so I just figured it was maybe an imperfection from the factory. But then, just a few months ago I noticed that rust had started to come through the paint. When I checked over and under the rest of the car (with a fine toothed comb), I saw that bubbles were starting to form on the edge of the hood, on the lip where the hood meets the nose.
It’s not from scratches or anything on the surface of the paint, and the car has never been in an accident. it’s actually rotting from the inside out.
I’ve brought the car to multiple body shops and they all said that it was something they haven’t seen very often in the past. They were baffled.
I’ve searched for recalls but nothing seems to turn up on the internet.

If anyone else has had this experience with their Challenger, I would love to hear all about it.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ok , someone will chime in on this but I think FCA fixed this problem with the 14 or 15 model year

Reactions: SalSoul75

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,190 Posts
Ok , someone will chime in on this but I think FCA fixed this problem with the 14 or 15 model year
Maybe by 2015 it takes about 5 years for it show it's ugly head so we probably won't know until 2020.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well known problem. The factory foams around the rocker areas for sound and created a huge rusting issue with water retention. Never shows up until well after the warranty has expired.

View attachment 126286
Well known problem. The factory foams around the rocker areas for sound and created a huge rusting issue with water retention. Never shows up until well after the warranty has expired.

View attachment 126286
Is there any way to fix it? Or, at least stop it from causing further damage?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,464 Posts
I've got a 2016 and they haven't changed a thing as far as those rocker panels go. In the '15 remodel I do think they added a better designed sheet metal bulkhead area right in front of the rear tire so that it was sealed better and the plastic tub in the wheel well was changed to fit better too I think. The foam in the rockers goes all the way from in front of the rear tires up to the front part of the doors. There's what I call "horse hair" sound matting pads in the front of each well too...I removed them on both sides a couple weeks ago while it was still in storage.

The plastic rocker panels clip into a whole row of rectangular cutouts that are located along the full length of those rocker panels and they are not sealed at all. Road and salt splash and even car was water can easily get into those clip holes from above and below. In the other post's photo (above) you can see where those cutouts are and that that's where the rust starts. Here are some photos of my car when I had the plastic rocker covers off to replace them and also photos from when I removed the well pads. See how much room is open on either side of the rocker cover clips when they are inserted - obviously water can get in there real easily. A totally bad design, but other auto makers do the same. Sucks that it doesn't show until the rust warranty has ended usually.

dside_rocker_view-1.jpg dside_rocker_view-2.jpg dside_rocker_view-3.jpg well-pads_view-1.jpg well-pads_view-2.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a 2016 and they haven't changed a thing as far as those rocker panels go. In the '15 remodel I do think they added a better designed sheet metal bulkhead area right in front of the rear tire so that it was sealed better and the plastic tub in the wheel well was changed to fit better too I think. The foam in the rockers goes all the way from in front of the rear tires up to the front part of the doors. There's what I call "horse hair" sound matting pads in the front of each well too...I removed them on both sides a couple weeks ago while it was still in storage.

The plastic rocker panels clip into a whole row of rectangular cutouts that are located along the full length of those rocker panels and they are not sealed at all. Road and salt splash and even car was water can easily get into those clip holes from above and below. In the other post's photo (above) you can see where those cutouts are and that that's where the rust starts. Here are some photos of my car when I had the plastic rocker covers off to replace them and also photos from when I removed the well pads. See how much room is open on either side of the rocker cover clips when they are inserted - obviously water can get in there real easily. A totally bad design, but other auto makers do the same. Sucks that it doesn't show until the rust warranty has ended usually.

View attachment 126306 View attachment 126308 View attachment 126310 View attachment 126312 View attachment 126314
Thank you for this information. This is extremely helpful. I will do what I can to Rectify this horrible problem

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,281 Posts
Go to the Dodge Challenger-Help Zone and check the section Detailing and General Maintenance. You will see a sub-section: Paint,Dents, Rust & Repair. Read my post Rust Removal, a SUCCESS!!!!.... It should answer your questions and concerns. Been there, Done That! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go to the Dodge Challenger-Help Zone and check the section Detailing and General Maintenance. You will see a sub-section: Paint,Dents, Rust & Repair. Read my post Rust Removal, a SUCCESS!!!!.... It should answer your questions and concerns. Been there, Done That! ;)
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Another reason why the life time warranty purchase was a good buy for me.
I am not real happy that I may have to use the extended warranty on possible rust issues years later though.

I hope you get it all taken care of. :)

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,281 Posts
Another reason why the life time warranty purchase was a good buy for me.
I am not real happy that I may have to use the extended warranty on possible rust issues years later though.

I hope you get it all taken care of. :)
I would suggest going over your lifetime extended warranty paperwork thoroughly. Usually found in the warranty exception section, rust threw issues are limited to the new car warranty of 5 years or 50,000 miles. My repairs consisted of two new FCA rear quarter panels and the latest rust preventive measures and procedures. My repair warranty is 2 years or 24,000 miles.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,190 Posts
Joe, does that cover body panels? I thought the five year warranty was only for the powertrain, and the three year was for bumper to bumper?
John I think there is a 5 year rust through warranty.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts