Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ways are there to get the maximum horsepower and engine performance from a 6.4 without breaking the bank. Thanks to all who answer with suggestions.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
Why 2 different posts asking the same thing ?

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
57 Posts
It seems like every time this comes up the answer is "there isn't much that can be done b/c the 6.4 is optimized at the factory, save your pennies and get a hellcat".

Hellcat lower airbox is suggested often times and apparently performs as good or better than aftermarket CAI.

People who do standard bolt on stuff (exhaust, CAI, etc) seem to get very minimal gains when they dyno. RacerX (youtube guy) put the new Magnaflow X-Mod on his wife's Scat Pack and gained 8 HP. Sounds great but for a $3k exhaust system? Not for me. Others have reported actually losing HP when installing aftermarket CAI.

Honestly, tires might be the best mod for these cars to improve timed performance. If it's a new car you have warranty to worry about also, be careful what you do. Mfg like to void warranties for things sometimes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like every time this comes up the answer is "there isn't much that can be done b/c the 6.4 is optimized at the factory, save your pennies and get a hellcat".

Hellcat lower airbox is suggested often times and apparently performs as good or better than aftermarket CAI.

People who do standard bolt on stuff (exhaust, CAI, etc) seem to get very minimal gains when they dyno. RacerX (youtube guy) put the new Magnaflow X-Mod on his wife's Scat Pack and gained 8 HP. Sounds great but for a $3k exhaust system? Not for me. Others have reported actually losing HP when installing aftermarket CAI.

Honestly, tires might be the best mod for these cars to improve timed performance. If it's a new car you have warranty to worry about also, be careful what you do. Mfg like to void warranties for things sometimes.
Thanks for your reply. After all the reading and searching of forums, your answer seems to be the consensus by a majority of 6.4 owners. I guess dodge figured once you get to the larger engine sizes, people want their moneys worth in horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
57 Posts
Thanks for your reply. After all the reading and searching of forums, your answer seems to be the consensus by a majority of 6.4 owners. I guess dodge figured once you get to the larger engine sizes, people want their moneys worth in horsepower and torque.
yeah i guess. I went through the same thing when i bough mine last year. I'm basically just doing some minor cosmetic stuff (catch can, engine bay stuff, etc). I might do exhaust one day just for the sound and the quad tips. When the time comes I'll probably get some better tires also. I'm happy enough with the Pirelli all seasons but there is likely better options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i guess. I went through the same thing when i bough mine last year. I'm basically just doing some minor cosmetic stuff (catch can, engine bay stuff, etc). I might do exhaust one day just for the sound and the quad tips. When the time comes I'll probably get some better tires also. I'm happy enough with the Pirelli all seasons but there is likely better options.
From doing a lot of reading and watching videos, I ordered the Dynomax 24250 Exhaust Resonators and they are arriving today for my mid muffler replacement. They will be installed tomorrow and like you said earlier, $3000 for an exhaust system is ridiculous for really no advantage except sound. These seems to be the consensus on great sound for a low cost. I'm using the K.I.S.S. reasoning for saving the money for other improvements.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
57 Posts
From doing a lot of reading and watching videos, I ordered the Dynomax 24250 Exhaust Resonators and they are arriving today for my mid muffler replacement. They will be installed tomorrow and like you said earlier, $3000 for an exhaust system is ridiculous for really no advantage except sound. These seems to be the consensus on great sound for a low cost. I'm using the K.I.S.S. reasoning for saving the money for other improvements.
cool, i'll need to take a look at those! 🍻

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool, i'll need to take a look at those! 🍻
I got them on Amazon for 24 dollars and some change each. Installation will cost me $150 plus minimal material for a total cost to install about $175. Alot cheaper than those $1000 plus cat back systems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't like the long tube headers, for now, as people had had problems with either install ( not fitting) or O2 problems. I am waiting to read some good things about manufacturers correcting clearance issues or just not fitting correctly..Larger throttle body seems to be negligible for the cost and Diablo might be something I could possibley jump on. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How about a ported throttle body and maybe a throttle enhancer? The TB enhancer won't add any HP but gets rid of the throttle lag. Neither will break the bank in terms of cost. That's the route I plan on going.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about a ported throttle body and maybe a throttle enhancer? The TB enhancer won't add any HP but gets rid of the throttle lag. Neither will break the bank in terms of cost. That's the route I plan on going.
[/QI
I have thought about the the throttle enhancer as they have ones that are cheaper than the pedal Commander and do the same, only for about $100 cheaper. If actual gains can be had by a ported throttle body, it might be something to look into. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
195 Posts
...RacerX (youtube guy) put the new Magnaflow X-Mod on his wife's Scat Pack and gained 8 HP. Sounds great but for a $3k exhaust system? ...
I admit, I got a little over excited on the Magnaflow X-Mod. Bought one the day they became available last fall and received it in October. It is a versatile kit with options for straight pipes vs mufflers, 5.7 vs. 6.x motors, carbon fiber tips vs stock tips. The construction quality is very nice - excellent welds and an all around impressive design.

As an early adopter, it is no surprise I ran in to some problems. This is where Magnaflow's customer service on a $3k top tier item fell down.

The exhaust pipes rub up against the aluminum insulation under the car. If you watch the video from RacerX, you will notice he removed the aluminum insulation between shots (that is not mentioned in the video or the instructions). Magnaflow thought I got a poorly made X-pipe and sent me a replacement. Side-by-side I could not tell the difference and the replacement still rubbed. The original had a brace with the X-pipe logo and the replacement did not. They thought that was the problem.

The other issue is the right tips do not center in the body. Magnaflow also sent a X-mod to another Youtube personality, OCMotivator. In some of his videos (made after the X-mod was installed), it is very clear his right rear tips are not centered either. So the problem is not my car, it seems to be design problems with the kit.

The guy at Magnaflow (IIRC, "Cody") promised to dig in to it and get it resolved. That was the last I heard from him. He never followed through and further messages sent to him were ignored.

Right rear tips initially:

Here is how I centered them - the long pin was manufactured straight with the exhaust pipe, I bent it:

Bending the pin does cause the exhaust pipe to rub against the rubber hanger:

Where the aluminum insulation rubs (original X-pipe with the brace in the middle):

I don't want to come off as full of complaints, so credit where it is due...

The system does sound really good. Their "No Drone Technology" is the real deal. I have driven vehicles with highway RPM drone and they are very annoying - this system does not do that. I am very pleased with the cabin exhaust sound. The only time I got drone was at low speed with light throttle in sport mode (ie: exhaust pipe valves open). Of course, that baits the question... What the heck am I doing at slow speed and light throttle in sport mode??? :) So this is definitely a fringe use case and not a common situation.

And the system is well thought out with lots of configuration options. The construction quality is beautiful. Very impressive. Magnaflow just seems to have issues with their initial production run and their customer service failed to resolve them. That is the only thing that keeps me from wholeheartedly recommending the X-mod, even at a premium price point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I admit, I got a little over excited on the Magnaflow X-Mod. Bought one the day they became available last fall and received it in October. It is a versatile kit with options for straight pipes vs mufflers, 5.7 vs. 6.x motors, carbon fiber tips vs stock tips. The construction quality is very nice - excellent welds and an all around impressive design.

As an early adopter, it is no surprise I ran in to some problems. This is where Magnaflow's customer service on a $3k top tier item fell down.

The exhaust pipes rub up against the aluminum insulation under the car. If you watch the video from RacerX, you will notice he removed the aluminum insulation between shots (that is not mentioned in the video or the instructions). Magnaflow thought I got a poorly made X-pipe and sent me a replacement. Side-by-side I could not tell the difference and the replacement still rubbed. The original had a brace with the X-pipe logo and the replacement did not. They thought that was the problem.

The other issue is the right tips do not center in the body. Magnaflow also sent a X-mod to another Youtube personality, OCMotivator. In some of his videos (made after the X-mod was installed), it is very clear his right rear tips are not centered either. So the problem is not my car, it seems to be design problems with the kit.

The guy at Magnaflow (IIRC, "Cody") promised to dig in to it and get it resolved. That was the last I heard from him. He never followed through and further messages sent to him were ignored.

View attachment 273680

Here is how I centered them - the long pin was manufactured straight with the exhaust pipe, I bent it:
View attachment 273679

View attachment 273682

Where the aluminum insulation rubs (original X-pipe with the brace in the middle):
View attachment 273681

The system does sound really good. Their "No Drone Technology" is the real deal. I have driven vehicles with highway RPM drone and they are very annoying - this system does not do that. I am very pleased with the cabin exhaust sound. The only time I got drone was at low speed with light throttle in sport mode (ie: exhaust pipe valves open). Of course, that baits the question... What the heck am I doing at slow speed and light throttle in sport mode??? :) So this is definitely a fringe use case and not a common situation.

And the system is well thought out with lots of configuration options. The construction quality is beautiful. Very impressive. Magnaflow just seems to have issues with their initial production run and their customer service failed to resolve them. That is the only thing that keeps me from wholeheartedly recommending the X-mod, even at a premium price point.
A lot of money for a lot of problems. I'll stick to my Dynomax Bullet Resonators. For $230 I'll have a great sounding exhaust and keeping money in my pocket. Thanks and good luck with your exhaust system.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
57 Posts

View attachment 273680

View attachment 273679

View attachment 273682

View attachment 273681

wow, thanks for this. I had actually thought about picking one up at some point even at the price point. Their no drone stuff seems well thought out and the carbon fiber dual tips are the best looking thing out there IMO. if they fit right that is. It's pretty disheartening to hear that they ghosted you on this, especially since you were an early adopter (not for free like youtubers) and you seem pretty level headed based on the tone of your post. Many would be livid (maybe rightfully) and blasting them at every chance.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,477 Posts
Petty has a 600 hp package for the 6.4..... naturally aspirated....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Boy 485 HP is enough for me for street use..I know more is for drag racing bragging rights but a Hellcat upgrade is the answer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Boy 485 HP is enough for me for street use..I know more is for drag racing bragging rights but a Hellcat upgrade is the answer.
Totally agree. It is a lot of bragging rights. Conversations go like this...

"I got a new Challenger"
"Cool, is it a Hellcat?"

<Begin discussion about what a Scat Pack is>

I can get in trouble pretty quick with 485hp. I can't imagine how tricky the supercharged motors are to handle. I do believe the 6.4 is the sweet spot in the line up - plenty of power but still drivable in most conditions. Cheaper on the wallet - gas, insurance, initial purchase price.

It is definitely a win for Dodge's marketing when the uninitiated automatically ask the Hellcat question right after hearing the word Challenger.

·
Registered
189 Posts

View attachment 273680

View attachment 273679

View attachment 273682

View attachment 273681

I just ordered this system. Did you go with the muffler delete in that system? I’m debating on which route to take. My instinct tells me to go with the delete down to the resonator / no drone technology .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts