Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just ordered this system. Did you go with the muffler delete in that system? I’m debating on which route to take. My instinct tells me to go with the delete down to the resonator / no drone technology .
I installed the muffler instead of the straight pipe. That said, the muffler itself is a straight through style - so it is not like there are tangible performance gains to be had.

One thing to note... Swapping out the muffler & straight pipe is not a quick & simple process. As I said, this kit is well put together. It is not simple to just loosen a couple clamps and swap out the pipes. It goes together easy enough, but you would need to work forward from the exhaust tips to get to the muffler section. The clamps have to be completely removed, and to remove those the previous pipe section needs to come out. Then, once reassembled, you would to realign everything so the tips line up good. It is by no means difficult, it is just a multi step process that will take a bit of time. Magnaflow's marketing does not position it that way as a quick swap, but it is easy to think it is that way.

If you have Motor Trend On Demand, go look at Engine Masters season 5, episode 75. They tested different mufflers & configurations. Surprisingly, the Magnaflow straight through mufflers made MORE torque than the straight pipe, but they did drop a few horsepower. This testing was done on a 1000hp blown motor. The take-away I got was when scaled down to the NA numbers of my 392, there is negligible horsepower/torque difference between the straight pipe & the Magnaflow muffler included in the Xmod kit. Which means the only difference for me would be the sound volume.

Keep us posted on how your swap goes with the Xmod kit. I am very curious to see your results and see if they changed anything about the kit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I installed the muffler instead of the straight pipe. That said, the muffler itself is a straight through style - so it is not like there are tangible performance gains to be had.

One thing to note... Swapping out the muffler & straight pipe is not a quick & simple process. As I said, this kit is well put together. It is not simple to just loosen a couple clamps and swap out the pipes. It goes together easy enough, but you would need to work forward from the exhaust tips to get to the muffler section. The clamps have to be completely removed, and to remove those the previous pipe section needs to come out. Then, once reassembled, you would to realign everything so the tips line up good. It is by no means difficult, it is just a multi step process that will take a bit of time. Magnaflow's marketing does not position it that way as a quick swap, but it is easy to think it is that way.

If you have Motor Trend On Demand, go look at Engine Masters season 5, episode 75. They tested different mufflers & configurations. Surprisingly, the Magnaflow straight through mufflers made MORE torque than the straight pipe, but they did drop a few horsepower. This testing was done on a 1000hp blown motor. The take-away I got was when scaled down to the NA numbers of my 392, there is negligible horsepower/torque difference between the straight pipe & the Magnaflow muffler included in the Xmod kit. Which means the only difference for me would be the sound volume.

View attachment 273773

Keep us posted on how your swap goes with the Xmod kit. I am very curious to see your results and see if they changed anything about the kit.
I’m planning on having it installed, not doing it myself. I’m just debating on which route to go for overall sound quality.

You’ve given us such great details. Thank you for your write up and response!!

·
Registered
‘20 Scat pack 50th anniversary 6 speed, 1 of 9 in the color smoke show.
200 Posts
I’d say for a air intake the hellcat lower air box and air tube is better than any aftermarket CAI.

If a ‘20-‘21 model make sure they send you the short air tube not the long one.

other than that, a tuner and a unlocked pcm may get you a little more power but honestly even with a custom tune I don’t think the money is worth the minimal HP gains you may get from a tuner.
By the time you drop 5-6 grand on exhaust and long tubes and a tuner you could have bought a hellcat. I mean you could spend 10-15k and supercharge the 6.4 but still have less power than a hellcat.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,779 Posts
Totally agree. It is a lot of bragging rights. Conversations go like this...

"I got a new Challenger"
"Cool, is it a Hellcat?"

<Begin discussion about what a Scat Pack is>

I can get in trouble pretty quick with 485hp. I can't imagine how tricky the supercharged motors are to handle. I do believe the 6.4 is the sweet spot in the line up - plenty of power but still drivable in most conditions. Cheaper on the wallet - gas, insurance, initial purchase price.

It is definitely a win for Dodge's marketing when the uninitiated automatically ask the Hellcat question right after hearing the word Challenger.
One of the first comments I got after buying my Hellcat was "Is that the Demon?"

Nope I replied. A Hellcat. And left it at that. So far with 2 Scat Packs, one before I owned the Hellcat and one after, I have not had anyone ask me is the car is a Hellcat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The best Scat Pack mod is going to serious rubber on the rear tires . This is a 315x35x20 and are still prone to breaking loose. But way better than the OEM 245x40x20 rear tires !!
P1020939.JPG

·
Registered
420 Posts
The best Scat Pack mod is going to serious rubber on the rear tires . This is a 315x35x20 and are still prone to breaking loose. But way better than the OEM 245x40x20 rear tires !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
From doing a lot of reading and watching videos, I ordered the Dynomax 24250 Exhaust Resonators and they are arriving today for my mid muffler replacement. They will be installed tomorrow and like you said earlier, $3000 for an exhaust system is ridiculous for really no advantage except sound. These seems to be the consensus on great sound for a low cost. I'm using the K.I.S.S. reasoning for saving the money for other improvements.
they dyno bullets definelty made my skat sound better. i opted too leave the resognators in place, yes that would make it a lot louder hut i didnt want the drone, i put the 2250 dyno ullets in place of mid mufflers and my car has a deep hemi grumbly sound too it at low rpm, hugher rpm sounds like an angry dragon lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In case you are interested, I picked up a total of 26 RWHP and 18 RWTQ by installing The Dynomax race bullets, a Fastman 84 mm Throttle body, and a Hemifever tune (w/ Diablo Sort Trinity tuner). I picked up 7 RWHP with Throttle body and Race Bullets on stock tune.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In case you are interested, I picked up a total of 26 RWHP and 18 RWTQ by installing The Dynomax race bullets, a Fastman 84 mm Throttle body, and a Hemifever tune (w/ Diablo Sort Trinity tuner). I picked up 7 RWHP with Throttle body and Race Bullets on stock tune.
Anything in the 500 H.P.range always sounds better than 485.range. Guess it's just a guy thing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hmmm ? And how did you manage to get past the locked PCM ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well since nobody has mentioned it... Throttle in a bottle, N2O :)

Yes yes I know it will kill your motor and most family members...

I have been mostly racing and spraying anywhere from 100-200HP shots (probably 200 passes) for, well this will be the 4th year at the track and all is well zero problems.

I have no Idea how many HP i have picked up in total but I am knocking on the 10.99 1/4 door. (Gods of traction hear my cries!)

I did long tube kooks (little to no HP gain but sounds way better and I got an O2 bung for my wideband out of it!)
HemiFever Tuned Unlocked PCM with Trinity 2
Hellcat Cold Air
315x35x20 NT05Rs in the rear (Best mod for the money)
and Holley EFI N2O System
But again to each their own I pretty much only hoon/race my car. It certainly isn't my daily driver.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts