Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Scat pack or RT?

3908 Views 75 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  hutchman
Hello everyone! Quick backstory. Last year I lost my Chally in an accident. A 2017 Granite RT auto I called Rex. It was pretty sad. Had it since 2017. I had purchased it brand new. I remember driving it off the lot. It was my ride for life. It was a beauty. :cry:
Vehicle Car Wheel Grille Hood

Anyway. I decided to move on to a Toyota and while it saves more gas, it’s just not the same. So I’m in the market for a new Challenger! This being the last year they’re making them, it’s pretty crucial. What I really need to decide on is whether to buy another RT or say to hell with it and buy a Scat Pack. What do you all think?

Would a Scat Pack be more worth it?
How much of a difference would I feel it driving wise compared to the RT?
Has there been any major changes to the RT since the 2017 models?

Thanks!
See less See more
Reactions: 4
61 - 76 of 76 Posts
think im going the T/A 392 route. since the V8s are going out, YOLO
Assuming no wheel spin:

5.7 - 0-60 in 4.9
6.4 - 0-60 in 4.2

5.7 - 1/4 mile in 13.3
6.4 - 1/4 mile in 12.5

To me that is NOT a profound difference. If I was looking at two cars, one 5.7 and one 6.4 and couldn't decide I'd go 6.4 if the price difference was less than $5k. But if the price difference was more than $5k I'd go 5.7 all day every day because of the value and the fact that you can always drop a few thousand into a 5.7 and run with Scats all day.
Reactions: 1
Assuming no wheel spin:

5.7 - 0-60 in 4.9
6.4 - 0-60 in 4.2

5.7 - 1/4 mile in 13.3
6.4 - 1/4 mile in 12.5

To me that is NOT a profound difference. If I was looking at two cars, one 5.7 and one 6.4 and couldn't decide I'd go 6.4 if the price difference was less than $5k. But if the price difference was more than $5k I'd go 5.7 all day every day because of the value and the fact that you can always drop a few thousand into a 5.7 and run with Scats all day.
From what I’ve seen the hellcat has a 0-60 of 3.7 so if you look at it that way there’s a bigger difference between an RT and a scat than a scat and a hellcat. I’d say that’s a pretty profound difference.
Assuming no wheel spin:

5.7 - 0-60 in 4.9
6.4 - 0-60 in 4.2

5.7 - 1/4 mile in 13.3
6.4 - 1/4 mile in 12.5

You can't drop a few thousand and run with Scats all day. You're talking 110hp margin in stock form. You need a supercharger or nitrous to keep up with a stock Scat Pack. Blower is $8-10K. Nitrous is $4-5K to do it right with safety measures in place. Maybe you could slap on a cheap dry shot of nitrous for $2K but you'd be on borrowed time.
12.5 vs 13.3 in the 1/4 mile is probably around 8-9 car lengths. That's huge.

I think both cars are awesome. I owned a R/T years ago and own a Scat Pack now. My Dad has a R/T. The R/T is plenty fast and lots of fun to drive. I just don't understand how so many people think that 110hp is not a big difference. Or how the car is not that much faster. They're completely different feeling cars when you drive them.
Reactions: 2
From what I’ve seen the hellcat has a 0-60 of 3.7 so if you look at it that way there’s a bigger difference between an RT and a scat than a scat and a hellcat. I’d say that’s a pretty profound difference.
Agree. I've hit 3.2 in my Scat Pack at the track, 3.7 on the street with drag radials. My Dad has hit 4.2 with his R/T at the track and 4.6 on the street. Both cars are tuned with some bolt ons and drag radials. Big difference for sure.
I guess a guy can cut a watermelon a lot of different ways, but at the end of the day one-half second is not a profound difference.

You can't drop a few thousand and run with Scats all day. You're talking 110hp margin in stock form.
Precisely. Which is exactly what guys with 5.7s have shown on dynos for over a decade when they simply add a good cam, long tubes, and tune the car correctly.....a few thousand worth of parts.

AND... I never mentioned blowers but IF a guy wanted a blower somewhere down the line, all the tuners I've spoken to say that the 5.7 holds boost better than the 6.4.
I guess a guy can cut a watermelon a lot of different ways, but at the end of the day one-half second is not a profound difference.

Precisely. Which is exactly what guys with 5.7s have shown on dynos for over a decade when they simply add a good cam, long tubes, and tune the car correctly.....a few thousand worth of parts.

AND... I never mentioned blowers but IF a guy wanted a blower somewhere down the line, all the tuners I've spoken to say that the 5.7 holds boost better than the 6.4.
Half a second is huge in racing and on the street.

Good luck getting a cam, headers, and tune installed on your car for $3K. Going to cost a lot more than that.
I know I’m way late to the conversation but wanted to add. I own a 2016 RT. Absolutely love the car. I purposely bought the 5.7 so I could mod. That is very enjoyable to me although I still have a hard time with the tuning lol. It’s my daily driver.
My only issue with the RT is the open differential and suspension. I have lowered mine so it’s equivalent to a scat, but I have yet to change my rear diff.
So the scat in my opinion wins with the suspension and lsd, but that’s it. A lot of RT owners I’m sure could have bought either or as we are realistically spending more money modding lol.
I had to add one more thing due to all the race talk. I guess the Camaro ZL1 owners trash the scats then. Seriously I couldn’t imaging trashing one of my fellow challenger drivers. As I stated in a previous post I owned a 71 nova that would have made the scat look like a snail, but it wasn’t comfortable, didn’t stop worth a damn and rattled like a freight train. I respect all of this community and let’s just have fun!
I agree. They’re all great cars. No one is trashing anyone. But scats are significantly faster than RTs. That’s simply a fact that I’m stating. If you believe otherwise you’re wrong. Just like the hellcats are significantly faster than the scat packs. It’s all relative.
I agree. They’re all great cars. No one is trashing anyone. But scats are significantly faster than RTs. That’s simply a fact that I’m stating. If you believe otherwise you’re wrong. Just like the hellcats are significantly faster than the scat packs. It’s all relative.
Yeah I mean we all know the scats are faster than the RT. I’m saying the same, they’re all great. I dunno how the my car is faster then yours got so crazy. Like I said I built a 71 nova that was a monster. If I wanted to drag race again I would build a light car. It was always way more fun building speed then buying it.
Assuming no wheel spin:

5.7 - 0-60 in 4.9
6.4 - 0-60 in 4.2

5.7 - 1/4 mile in 13.3
6.4 - 1/4 mile in 12.5

In any objective performance comparison, that is absolutely a profound difference. Run side side by side and you'll see what I mean. It is an eternity actually.
As soon as I drove my friend's 392 SRT one of the first year cars, with the old 5 speed auto, I knew I would be buying an SP or an SRT similar to what would become an SP. The first time I drove an actual SP was my friend's car, a 2016 in Yellow Jacket from Toledo to Chicago. My only complaint was the stereo was pretty pitiful. It was the base one without a subwoofer, other than that, it was about perfect. My present car will be paid off next month, I'm not planning on biting on a "last call" Challenger, what would I get except a new payment book and that $$$ every month.

My 2010 R/T was ok, but I always wanted more power, MUCH better brakes, better everything, and my present car has all that. There is no comparison. I knew I would never be happy with another R/T. My car is as close to my 1974 fantasy car as is possible.

My only real complaints at this point are I still dislike the HK stereo in some areas, and I solved the weak assed trunk strut issue that my Charger, first and present Challenger's had. I guess enough conks on the head wised me up.
See less See more
I agree, they are better but not HOLY SHIT i need to run out and sell my RT right now. Like I just mentioned in the reply above, people on these forums make it sound like the RT is complete garbage and the scatpack is the only way to go
It's not that the R/T is garbage, it's just that the SP is a lot better (for most). And I get quite the laugh every time someone posts about the mpg factor. I've never met one SP owner who gave a rat's @ss about mpg. It literally doesnt factor into their decision. I'm amazed at how many people are driving R/T's with mpg's as a big deciding factor. The finite savings on fuel is coming at a huge fun factor sacrifice imo.
Assuming no wheel spin:

5.7 - 0-60 in 4.9
6.4 - 0-60 in 4.2

5.7 - 1/4 mile in 13.3
6.4 - 1/4 mile in 12.5

On the track .8 is a profound diff.
On the track .8 is a profound diff.
It's an eternity when the guy in the other lane gets an .8 start on a pro tree.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts