Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot written about the '14 Scat Packs for the Challenger, but nothing ever mentions price or quantifiable changes achievable with each of the three stages.

Has anyone heard any actual facts or details???

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is nothing solid out yet in terms of HP numbers or cost for the individual packages. Anything out there is simply conjecture and guessing.

If I had to guess on HP numbers for each package, I would say 15-20HP gain from package 1 30-40 from package 2 and 45-50 for package 3...Again total guess..

Pricing is going to be tricky with this though. If it get to more than around 6K for package 3 people might start thinking supercharger. The only thing Dodge would have going for it would be that your warranty would remain intact with the Scat package.

I hope I am wrong (they will probably announce it next week since I wrote this) but I think this whole thing may get pushed later in the year and maybe even next year. You would really think Dodge would be pushing this harder than they are. The new Vapor package seems to be getting more pub. (I think it was called Vapor)..

I hope by pushing it off, they will include some previous years as well like 11's and 12's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt.

I've been watching and reading as much as I can about these packs, but as you noted, there's not a lot of actual, DODGE publicity, considering the program is supposed to become available this Spring (ie: a few weeks from now).

I noticed this series on YouTube (three separate videos) which appear to be Dodge sponsored, but who knows???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72E5xEMA7no

Like you, I hope these are plug-and-play for pre-'14 models. Mine's a '13, and I can't imagine that much has changed between model years to warrant such exclusion.

I'll keep an eye out for more.

Thanks again.

BTW, GORGEOUS car there in your driveway.

·
13,007 Posts
It seems that Dodge has been hush hush about releasing the actual performance numbers which would show actual H.P. gains especially with the stage 3. The one benefit to the Scat Back package is keeping the warranty intact which was stated above.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like the idea of keeping the car naturally aspirated. Nothing wrong with forced induction just a personal preference. The warranty is a nice added bonus.

I am holding off on other mods (headers mainly) and waiting to see what finally does come down from Mopar.

Dodge Boy you still enjoying the Super Charger?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The warranty point is a really good one. Their silence just makes planning and executing very difficult. This seems typical for Dodge, though. Back in October, I was considering holding out for a '14 because rumors of special editions loomed, but I ended up buying a '13 at the end of the model year because I realized I was delaying life based upon rumors. Dodge finally released the special editions much later. Maybe they're doing the same with the Scat Paks - teasing now and then providing real data well-into Spring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matt, I've seen you comment a couple times about your ambivalence toward CAI, but you like the cat-back. Which cat-back did you choose and why? Scat Pak 1 includes a cat-back, but also incorporates a computer tune. Did you do that also when you swapped your exhaust???

·
13,007 Posts
I like the idea of keeping the car naturally aspirated. Nothing wrong with forced induction just a personal preference. The warranty is a nice added bonus.

I am holding off on other mods (headers mainly) and waiting to see what finally does come down from Mopar.

Dodge Boy you still enjoying the Super Charger?

Matt, from what I've seen so far is the Supercharger has turned my car into a real animal, I really haven't had a chance to give a real good test yet due to all the foul weather that we have been having, but if you are looking for a real kick in the pants the Supercharger is the way to go, I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Great video Idaho Mike, thanks for sharing :rep:

I'd be interested in finding out some solid numbers too, as well as hearing what their specific catback sounds like. :smileup: It's the waiting that drives me bonkers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am totally with you there, Ninja Dave. I'm NOT a patient human being ... when the decision is made to do something, waiting to find out what options exist is frustrating!!!

And you hit on a key component to this decision, because sound is such a key factor for me in terms of enjoying my car, and each cat-back is unique in that regard.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mike-
I wouldn't go so far as to say I am ambivalent towards CAIs just not sure that they actually reach the claims made by the companies. I have a Volant intake which is sealed (which seems to make sense) and has a snorkel that goes down into the fender well. I never really felt any power difference from adding the CAI. I do think though that with a tune a CAI will provide some benefits since the computer will adjust to it.

As far as cat-back system, I didn't go with a cat back system at all. I was really new to the muscle car scene and not very informed. I took the car to a local muffler shop that was highly recommended, and they gave me the following set up. They deleted the resonators, and added 3 inch piping as well as Flo Pro mufflers which are a straight through muffler with no baffles. The pipes go back down to 2.5 at the very end to adjust for some aftermarket tips I put on the car. I don't know if this helped or hurt the overall performance of the car or not.

To make a long story short I think I am going to eventually go with either the Corsa or Solo Performance cat back system. (Unless of course they offer the Scat Pack 3 for pre-13s. From what I have heard those two systems have the sound I like the best.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Dodge Boy-
Hopefully the weather will clear up so you can go out and do some spirited driving. The wait must be killing you.

As for me I think I will stay the naturally aspirated route for the time being. Nothing wrong with forced induction, but my knowledge of cars is pretty limited. That would be like trying to teach a 3rd grader trigonometry when they haven't even figured out long division. (I still don't understand trigonometry. Actually I still don't get long division either.)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mike one last thing I never like to be in the habit of spending other peoples money so I try and preface everything I say as an opinion. I would hate to tell somebody how great something was or how terrible I thought something was and have them buy it or not buy it and regret it. I personally like the sound of the system I have but have learned that the larger pipes may actually be hurting my low end torque numbers a little bit. Most of the cat back systems are tested for performance and while they may not match the 15-20 HP claims that some of the companies make they probably do provide some boost to performance. If you are itching to change the sound of your car, you can get some after market mufflers like Magna Flow or Flow Master etc and cut off the resonators (some people leave those and cut the mid mufflers as well). You could also go the Blastin Bobs route which is really a cheap way to go and even cheaper if you can do the swap yourself. It would be a relatively inexpensive mod to hold you over until the Scat Packages become available. By cheap I mean under 300-400 bucks. I think the Blastin Bobs set up has cost people under 200 bucks including install. Which in the world of car modding 200 bucks is pretty cheap in comparison to cat back systems that run from 800 to even 1400 bucks.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I haven't tuned the car as of yet. I would rather have a professional do that and even then not sure that I would do it. That is why I am hopeful that the Scat packages become available for the pre-13s at some point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Matt. You're preaching to the choir. I'm a firm believer in buying a coordinated package versus doing things piecemeal and hoping those pieces all work together. As much as I love cars, and I think the Challenger lends itself to some interesting modification opportunities, I am not a mechanic, and for that reason, I probably tend to be more conservative in my approach.

The Scat Paks offer an inviting alternative because they're compiled by Dodge, and one might think they've actually anticipated and solved some synergy issues before offering the productive (that's probably a naïve thing to say ... but THAT comment is cynical, so now I'm back to being confused).

I like the sound of the Borla S-Line cat back exhausts ... on Youtube. That's about the extent of my experience, Google and Youtube. Fortunately, folks like you and others who have commented have offered some great insights and broadened my perspective.

THANKS!!!

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
I am totally with you there, Ninja Dave. I'm NOT a patient human being ... when the decision is made to do something, waiting to find out what options exist is frustrating!!!

And you hit on a key component to this decision, because sound is such a key factor for me in terms of enjoying my car, and each cat-back is unique in that regard.
You must be new to Mopar,you will get used to it:smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I feel with every MOPAR part it will be over priced. Yeah I have a Mopar CAI, but it was thrown in by the dealer I factory ordered my car from. If I had bought one it would have been a KN CAI for 100 dollars cheaper. I like that Chrystler is throwing out a package like this. I bet though it will be over priced, but will have a warranty behind it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's my fear - overpriced, and not QUITE what I'm seeking.

BTW, I spoke with the parts manager at the local Dodge shop this past weekend. He has NO news from Dodge when the Scat Packs may be available. When I asked if he thought it would be this Spring, as suggested by MOPAR, he looked at me like I had three heads and asked if I meant THIS Spring ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.