Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my local dealer just bought my 2018 Shaker r/t for 2K more than I paid for it 1 and a half years ago. Ordered a totally custom to me Scat Pack Wide Body Shaker. (Ordered on Monday this week) I already have a VIN number & it is in production. They are telling me it will be delivered within 5 weeks. Is this crazy fast? Is the factory that slow that they got my order right in?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,656 Posts
Good luck with that, there are ones who have had cars sitting in Rail Yards for months. Others been waiting months to get them started etc., Truthfully just sit back and dont hold breath.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honestly, with the industry the way it is right now, that is crazy fast. Don't be surprised if you are delayed. Container ships are stacking up at every port causing major manufacturing disruptions and the chip shortage is not over. The facility I work at supplies components to a major Ford plant and they just abruptly shut down for a week next week (possibly more) due to supply chain issues. Mind you they had scheduled major overtime this month because they are already behind over 60,000 units that are already sold on contracts and now they've been forced to idle because they just can't get shipments in. You will be very lucky if your car is built and delivered to you in 5 weeks. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger ScatPack
123 Posts
Honestly, with the industry the way it is right now, that is crazy fast. Don't be surprised if you are delayed. Container ships are stacking up at every port causing major manufacturing disruptions and the chip shortage is not over. The facility I work at supplies components to a major Ford plant and they just abruptly shut down for a week next week (possibly more) due to supply chain issues. Mind you they had scheduled major overtime this month because they are already behind over 60,000 units that are already sold on contracts and now they've been forced to idle because they just can't get shipments in. You will be very lucky if your car is built and delivered to you in 5 weeks. I wish you the best of luck!
Yeah i know there is about 58 freighters just sitting off California right now loaded with containers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't really matter to me....I live in Vermont so it would go straight into storage anyway. If it did show up within 90 days the only good thing is getting 52K value trade credit on sales tax due on the new car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
not a snowballs chance in ----, if bet you are looking at 10 weeks. the entire factory is shut down right now due to shortages. and when you add the shaker it go's to a upfitter and takes longer...ask me how i know?

my 21
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
274 Posts
.... the entire factory is shut down right now due to shortages....
I ordered my Scat right in the middle of the spring 2020 panic and two month shut down. The best place I found for monitoring the plant's status is to keep in eye on the Union's website. Looks like the Unifor 1285 web page has gone away, but now I see FB with current information.

"Production will resume Monday, October 4th" Hopefully you will be at the front of the line.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm full of good news...(NOT!)

Looks like layoff has been extended another week until Tuesday October 12th, right after Canada's Thanksgiving day on the 11th.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yikes, I'm in the same boat as you. Placed an order for my 21 SP 6speed on 9/28 and got VIN within 2 days and saying its in D1 status. Regular body style and non-shaker, with only HID/blind spot package... My ship date is 10/19 but I don't think that's realistic anymore with all the plant stoppages.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not to burst anyone's expectations.... I was over 19 weeks from placing a deposit to taking delivery (April through August).

That said, meeting fellow new owners on the forums... Another person placed their order early June and received their car mid-July, and they were located in Hawaii. It wasn't limited stock or strange options on my build either - on-line dealer searches showed cars built after I ordered with my options/colors on dealer lots before my car even left Canada. It really is anyone's guess as to when your car will be built.

There are some weird mysteries on how the build priorities are chosen, and frankly I just wish they would share so we can all have proper expectations.

I'll hoist a beverage to you and make vroom-vroom noises in the hopes that you land a spot on the short list. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I chatted with a Dodge customer service rep today. He said all parts for my car are there, and its in the queue for build. He said check back in a week, lol.

·
Registered
2021, R/T Wide Body Scat Pack T/A, Auto
544 Posts
I custom ordered my TA the first week of June and got it after about 8 weeks in early August. I got my VIN number within a day also, but it sat after that for a week to two, then it got built and sat for another week to two before going into decals, and TA package customization, then sat for a week when it was finished before being shipped out roughly.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,110 Posts
Yeah i know there is about 58 freighters just sitting off California right now loaded with containers.
From the LA Times yesterday "As of Monday, there were 62 ships berthed at the two ports and 81 waiting to dock and unload, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California." Let's hope the truck drivers and dock workers get back into the swing of things fast...

·
Registered
1 Posts
But it is possible. Ordered my Scat Pack wide body, Aug 23, accepted delivery Sept 23 and that was with the factory shut down for one week. My dealer said he'd never seen it happen that fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
;)
Mine, similar to yours, took 13 weeks order to delivery. Yours will have to go to the up-fitters (delay), then wait for a full truck for shipment (2 weeks for mine). Not a bettin' man, but I would wager money it will be longer. :(
Remember, anticipation is half the fun of ownership! :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
From the LA Times yesterday "As of Monday, there were 62 ships berthed at the two ports and 81 waiting to dock and unload, according to the Marine Exchange of Southern California." Let's hope the truck drivers and dock workers get back into the swing of things fast...
Got curious, did some looking. Found info on the Port of Los Angeles. There appears to be up-to-date web page of dashboards with the current status of the port. In today's report they show 29 vessels at anchor.

This report is even more interesting. Look at the average days at anchorage + berth time. It is clearly up from the start of the year. But it is not up that much. More like what was 10 days is now 14. Not like ships have been waiting for months to get unloaded and our entire supply line is all stopped up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts