Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed my drag radials this morning and holy Sh*t they are awesome. I installed Mickey Thompson ET Street SS drag radials (305x45x17) on Race Star 17"x9.5" rims. My best 0-60 time prior was 4.5 seconds, and my best 1/4 mile was 12.8 seconds on the stock 305/35/20's. I left the tire place and about 2 minutes later launched the car. No Heating up the tires. I still didn't give it full throttle right away, but damn close. I got a 3.9 0-60 and a 12.3 1/4 mile. This was in street mode, with my stock rims and tires in the back seat (prob. 80-100 pounds), and a full tank of gas by the way :) . it was 82 degrees outside. It feels like a totally different car !!!!

I cant wait to see what it does in sport or Track modes, and a little cooler outside !!!!!!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,939 Posts
Those almost look too small...especially in the close up shot

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,939 Posts
I meant they look too skinny for the wheel well mainly, but they do look short too...........in the one shot, the front tires fill the wheel well perfectly....the rears...not so much......

Also, remember, if that .6" is sidewall difference not overall tire height, then it is 1.2" shorter than the front.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant they look too skinny for the wheel well mainly, but they do look short too...........in the one shot, the front tires fill the wheel well perfectly....the rears...not so much......

Also, remember, if that .6" is sidewall difference not overall tire height, then it is 1.2" shorter than the front.....
Overall Height is .6" shorter. Stock is 28.4" and these are 27.8" tall overall. Both are 12" wide. It is the same size width tire, but it is on a 9.5" rim and not the factory 11" rim. It doesn't look so bad in person, and I'm really only going to use them at the the drag strip. the factory rear tires have the same gap. (see pic).

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,939 Posts
NO, not saying don't use them...just they looked really short in the one pic....

Never noticed the factory ones look like that too....

I'm just use to my SRT 392, which seems to have the same gap front & rear.....(not mine, but an example)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out and did another run today in sport mode. Still had a full tank of gas and only leaving at 1500 rpm's and got 3.7 0-60 and 12.1 1/4 mile :)
Still didn't heat up the tires (not spinning so not needed)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,939 Posts
Keep in mind, if the car bases these readings on distance traveled by the rear tires, those shorter tires won't give an accurate reading using the pages you are....the car thinks you are moving farther each tire rev than you are...

If it uses the fronts, you should be ok.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep in mind, if the car bases these readings on distance traveled by the rear tires, those shorter tires won't give an accurate reading using the pages you are....the car thinks you are moving farther each tire rev than you are...

If it uses the fronts, you should be ok.
With the difference in tire size of .6" there is a 1 mph difference at 90 mph. So when I am going 89 mph the speedo will say 90. I was told by the dealership that the computer uses all 4 tires and averages the speed for the performance timers. If that is true, then it would be off by about .5 mph at 90 mph. I guess I will just have to wait until my local track opens up and see.. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,939 Posts
I wasn't sure if it used front or rear.....not so sure I'd trust the dealer...most seem to have little to no clue about such things

Reactions: Dannyboy72

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed my drag radials this morning and holy Sh*t they are awesome. I installed Mickey Thompson ET Street SS drag radials (305x45x17) on Race Star 17"x9.5" rims. My best 0-60 time prior was 4.5 seconds, and my best 1/4 mile was 12.8 seconds on the stock 305/35/20's. I left the tire place and about 2 minutes later launched the car. No Heating up the tires. I still didn't give it full throttle right away, but damn close. I got a 3.9 0-60 and a 12.3 1/4 mile. This was in street mode, with my stock rims and tires in the back seat (prob. 80-100 pounds), and a full tank of gas by the way :) . it was 82 degrees outside. It feels like a totally different car !!!! View attachment 251311 View attachment 251312 View attachment 251313

I cant wait to see what it does in sport or Track modes, and a little cooler outside !!!!!!
I wanted to run this same setup… went to track for 1st time and I’m hooked already. I was gonna order online. Do I need to get them balanced? What about switching back to stock after track?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to run this same setup… went to track for 1st time and I’m hooked already. I was gonna order online. Do I need to get them balanced? What about switching back to stock after track?
I just sold my car back in January, and sold my tire setup in March. Too bad... You could have bought them from me cheap. I would definitely get them balanced. My track was only an hour from my house, so I just installed them at home, then drove to the track and aired them down at the track (21-23 psi worked best for me). When done racing, I would air them back up with a portable air compressor, drive home with them on, and then switch back to my regular tires at home.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
485 Posts
Unless you plan on driving on wet highway to or from the track get the R, not the SS. Or unless you a need shorter/wider SS for fitment. Otherwise get R. Do not balance them whichever you get. Also do not put car on a chassis dyno with either

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guy at tire shop said I can’t run this setup my brembos too big in back? Wtf, does he know what he’s talking about, I have 21 WB
Got some 17x10 weld Ventura drag wheels coming today with nitto r2s. See what I can get at track tomorrow. Stock 12.79 was best so far. Scat 21 WB. Thanks for all info. Couldn’t get mickeys before track day I’ll do a comparison when I buy them next time.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
485 Posts
You will have to shorten your sway bar links or compress the suspension to install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts