Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting on a dual exhaust this summer. I've read a number of installation instructions, and viewed a number of videos, but I haven't found good instructions for removing the stock exhaust.

This may be a dump question.... Looking under the car it looks to me that the Y connector is welded. Is it actually welded, or is it just a clamp removal to get the old exhaust off.

2010 Challenger SE 3.5

Thank you!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pretty sure they come from the supplier as 1 complete unit for assembly, so chances are its welded.
You going to do it yourself ?
6 yrs old, I take it your replacing everything?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure they come from the supplier as 1 complete unit for assembly, so chances are its welded.
You going to do it yourself ?
6 yrs old, I take it your replacing everything?
I'm going from the single to dual exhaust, so I was planning on replacing everything from before the Y connector back. The installation of the new cat backs look pretty straight forward. Sounds like I'll have to cut off the Y connector and drop the remaining. First step however is to get a new facia, and go from there.

Thank you!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Screenshot_2016-06-15-14-03-14.png

Looks like a guy with a steady hand could almost cut that out lol.
Price seems reasonable for the new one though.
I remember the early chargers had 2 cutouts regardless of single or duals :)

Good luck with your project...snap a few pix

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 75102

Looks like a guy with a steady hand could almost cut that out lol.
Price seems reasonable for the new one though.
I remember the early chargers had 2 cutouts regardless of single or duals :)

Good luck with your project...snap a few pix
Thanks for the diagram. I was actually wondering if there was a template out there, so that I could simply dremel out the opening for the tips. Wonder if anyone has done this instead of replacing the facia? Maybe there's a reason why thats a bad idea.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,859 Posts
Thanks for the diagram. I was actually wondering if there was a template out there, so that I could simply dremel out the opening for the tips. Wonder if anyone has done this instead of replacing the facia? Maybe there's a reason why thats a bad idea.
When I replaced the single outlet on my 2007 Magnum SXT 3.5L, I roughly cut as little of the opening as I had to get the tips in place. Then I used the tips as a guide and used 3/8" pinstriping tape to mark what I wanted to cut. Cut it with an air body saw with a fine blade.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,878 Posts
I've not heard of a template but there are some old threads here where members have cut the rear fascia. You should be able to make yourself a template and measure around from the wheel well and just reverse it on the drivers side to mark & cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts