Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
876 Posts
Should be tighter than than on a new vehicle.

Take it back. That's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
876 Posts
General PSA .....

Remember ... your new-car warranty is through Stellantis, not your dealer. Regardless of what anyone at your selling dealer tries to make you believe.

Even if you bought a pre-owned Challenger at a Subaru dealer, you can still take it to any Dodge dealer for bumper-to-bumper coverage for the first 36 months or 36,000 miles. It's NOT covered for 36/36 at the Subaru dealer so don't expect them to fix your car for free.

And .... you don't have to take the car to the dealer to have your warranty-related required maintenance done. It's your responsiblity to maintain the vehicle in accordance to the schedule in your Owner's Manual. It does not say the dealer has to perform the maintenance. Just save your receipts for your materials and keep a log book ... and/or ... enter the work on the Dodge Owner's site.

Reactions: HERE WE GO AGAIN

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah, I'm very disappointed in Dodge. I guess all the other haters on the other car forums may have been right that they have serious quality issues. I just thought with all my research the past 3 years, the fact that they have been making the car so long and that they won the JD Powers initial quality award last year there would be little or no issues. Boy was I wrong. I've already started my search to see what it may be worth in a trade and it looks like maybe 52k right now. Yeah I would lose about 5 grand on the actual purchase price, but since I got it at invoice plus another grand off and 20k in trade equity, I most likely wouldn't be in that bad of a position. I do hate to lose the 0% interest though and the fact I don't know what else I would get at the moment. I'm thinking possibly going back to another Mustang, but really don't want to until the refresh, but If I could hold out until Spring or Summer, I would seriously consider the new Z. What is sad is I haven't even made my first payment on it yet, but started spending money on modding it. Not too much yet though, just the puddle lights and some good all season mats. I had planned on replacing all the interior bulbs and doing the hellcat air box mod, but I guess I better hold off until I decide what to do now.

Did I miss some posts? Or are you really this upset over a misaligned hood and loose materials on the driver's seat? Because both are an easy fix at ANY Dodge dealer that has a body shop. Or, is it just buyer's remorse? Or, did you put the Challenger on such a high pedestal that it never had a chance of measuring up?

If you don't like your Challenger for whatever reason ... sell it now while the market is still reasonably warm. LIfe's too short to be unhappy with a car. You're certainly not the first person to decide that they bought the "wrong" car. I parted with a 2016 Chevy SS after 6 months over mostly insignificant - but annoying - issues. Though the transmission rebuild at 3,200 miles was certainly what set things in motion.

Sell the Challenger and buy a beater to get you through till Summer. Don't overthink it. Inventory issues for most of the manufacturers are forecast to improve significantly by mid-2022 ... if nothing bizarre happens again ... so you will have more options.

And with your procrastination skills, you should be able to just miss getting one of the last internal combustion engine muscle cars when they vanish after 2023.

·
Registered
876 Posts
"..... But if my drive train had gone south it would not deter how much I love this car. ...."
And "love" can be the difference between ignoring the little things or allowing them to fester. I "liked" my Chevy SS a lot ... but I didn't "love" it. Certainly not enough to make 5 years worth of payments on it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Its more than just the hood and seat. The interior lights are weak and are going to need replaced. The puddle lights (yeah I know I messed up trying to install them), but my dad looked at it and said it should have come with those from the factory (my Mustang did), the gas mileage sucks (yeah I know its not intended for that purpose, but even when babying it and it doesn't do much better). Its not nearly as fast as Dodge said it was capable of (yeah maybe it can come close under perfect conditions on a track with some weight reduction and letting air out of the back tires, ect.), but how come the Camaro and Mustang do very close to the official times right off the showroom floor on the street without any special prep? It is a nice looking car though and the sound system is excellent. I know the dealership may be able to fix some of the minor issues, but I dread even calling them or taking it in as I know how most of them are as far as getting the car dirty or leaving marks on the kick panels and bottom of the drivers door like they did numerous time to the stang. Maybe I should at least inquire about it or wait a little while so I could possibly get a loaner for the worst part of the winter?
Sounds like you've made up your mind. I wish you well. NOBODY should have to live with a car they don't love. Life's too short. Never settle! Feel free to add your own cliche. But they're cliches because they're true.

And you need to do it quickly while there's still a market for it. Though it might already be too late as dealers across the country seem to have Scat Packs hitting their lots in big numbers. Who knows ... we might be edging back toward a buyer's market quicker than most people thought we would.

There are a lot of things that Ford does right ... such as adding the small touches like the Mustang puddle lights. And I think their sequential turn signals are one of the cooler features out there. Dodge used to offer a sequential turn signal kit for the 2014 and earlier models. For some reason they've never offered a kit for the 2015+ models and the only kit I ever found was some company in Europe that wanted crazy money.

As for gas mileage .... EPA rates the Mustang at 15/24 (19 combined) and the Challenger 6.4 at 15/24 (18 combined) so there's really not a difference worth discussing.

Challengers do "wake up" after some miles. The next owner will appreciate you doing the boring work of breaking the car in for them.

I'm sure the folks on the Mustang forums will welcome you back with open arms to hear your tales of how horrible Dodge Challengers are.

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Registered
876 Posts
"..... Oh and Wizard, not a huge deal but in real world driving I usually averaged 23.5 to 24 in the Mustang using regular fuel and 18.5 to 19 in the scat alternating between 89 and 93.
Wow ... that's incredible. I wasn't aware of any V8s getting that kind of "combined" mileage. It's not unusual to see those numbers for mostly highway ... but not combined. My '15 SRT 392 has put up some big numbers on trips, but not in every day combined driving.

And as others have said ... stick with just 93 octane in your 392ci/6.4L HEMI. It's what the ECM is expecting. And if you had a 345ci/5.7L HEMI, then 93 octane would be a waste without a custom tune as that ECM is expecting 89 octane.

·
Registered
876 Posts
“Don’t over think it”???

This guy spent over 13 months waffling and second guessing on three different forums before he could decide what to buy.

So very true.

Like I said earlier .... with his procrastination skills, he could miss the last of the internal combustion engines.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah, I thought of that too. But my dad thinks I should try the wheel spacers first. He also doesn't think the seat is a big deal. He thinks its just the way they get after you sit in them awhile. I don't know, I still think its loose but maybe not a big deal. I guess I can take it in to have it fixed at any time so maybe I should hold off until Spring that way I don't have to worry about it this winter and be as careful when eating in the car.
I hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

I know a lot of people use wheel spacers with no issues ... but my wheel & tire guy has always told me to avoid using them. Like a lot of others things in life ... there's a cheap way and there's a right way. They're seldom the same way.

FWIW ... the leather on the seat bottom of my car have looked like that since shortly after I bought the car. (It had 1,367 miles on it when I bought it.) Since I can't see the seat bottom when my big ol' fat arse is sitting behind the wheel it doesn't bother me at all. Look at it this way ... if it were stretched TOO tight, then a seam would be more likely to separate.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I haven't called them yet. I messaged the dealer I bought it from last week about my recent issues and he never replied, although it does look like he tried calling once. I was just going to let it go at this point at least until Spring.
I would try to get it looked at before spring. You could go in get the problems documented and then take it in later for repair.
What @Dodgeguy said!

Remember ... you don't have to take it to the same dealer that you bought the car from. Your warranty is good at EVERY Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership. The dealership is getting reimbursed by Dodge for warranty work so they'll be glad to see you ... especially if you tell them that you like giving high scores on surveys. Ask around ... I'm sure there's a dealership near you that has a slightly better reputation than the others.

Hey ... I bought my car as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle at a Dodge dealership in Central Florida that is about 2.5 hours from me. And ... the car was originally purchased at a dealership in Ohio. There's no way I'm driving to either of those dealerships for warranty work. But I will drive a few extra miles to see the guys at Garber AutoMall in Green Cove Springs (about 40 minutes from me.) They have taken good care of me on every visit ... and that makes it worth the extra 15 minutes to get there.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
876 Posts
OMG, the spacers did not work! The top of the caliper is still hitting the inside of the wheel. It looks like another 1/2 to more likely 3/4" might work, but don't think the sell over 2" adapters so I guess I'm SOL. We put the original wheels back on the front and left the 18's on the rear for now. So now I have to figure out how to return the spacers and try to sell the wheels I just bought. I don't know if there will be any takers this late into the season. I guess my only option is to order a new set from tire rack unless somebody has a suggestion? The cheapest 18" setup I found on there was around 1.6k if I got the TPMS with them. My dad thinks I should go with at least 19's, but I'm assuming the 18's they list should fit. Do you guys think I should call them first to be sure?

My dad also recommended going to an actual shop and trying one of the front wheels first, but I don't think there are any places near me that would sell a complete set of wheels and tires anywhere near what tire rack charges. I'm also thinking of resuming my search for a winter beater in the 1.5k ballpark, but I don't know as there doesn't seem to be as many for sale now either and then I would have to worry about how reliable it would be.
Okay ... I did a little research and I don't think it's you. I was going to refer you to Modern Spare to get one of their 2" spacers because it's what they offer to allow people to use an 18" spare in the front with the 6-piston Brembo brakes.

Well ... It appears that Dodge (or Brembo) changed something in the brakes (I'm guessing the size of the 6-piston caliper from what you said) for 2021/2022 vehicles with 6-piston front Brembo brakes. And that's why your 18" wheels won't fit on the front even with a 2" spacer. BTW ... the spacer works just fine for 2008-2020 cars with 6-piston Brembo brakes in the front.

Here's a link to the Modern Spare website with their 2021/2022 disclaimer: Modern Spare - 2021/2022 Spare Tire Size Issue

Modern Spare said:

* 2021 Dodge Models with factory-installed 6-piston front Brembo Brake Calipers.

Please note- If your Dodge has the 6 piston front brake calipers (Brembo), the current wheel we offer will not have adequate clearance over these large brakes although the spare will fit over the smaller 4-piston Brembo Brakes without issue. The spare can still be easily used if you have a failed front tire by installing the spare on the rear wheel and placing the rear factory tire on the front. Although not as convenient, this method has been used effectively for rare models with these exceptionally large brakes. In the fall of 2021, Modern Spare will offer a kit option with a larger wheel that will have clearance over these large brakes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Interesting. So will the 2" spacer work? It looked close to us, but my dad thought more like another 1/4" or so so more like 2.25", but hate to go any wider than 1.5" with the spacers. He suggested as a last resort we could file down the caliper a bit, but don't want to go down that route at this point. I also wonder if the 18" wheels tire rack have listed will fit my car taking this into account? I sent them an email asking about the wheels I tentatively selected on their site. Too bad the 19" tires cost so much more or I would go with those, but looks like the 20" sets are a little less than the 19's but still about $400 more than the 18's. I guess I could shop around for more 19 or 20" tires, but it would be much easier (and most likely cheaper) to get them installed on the rims already. I looked on discount tire and belle tire and they are both more expensive with less of a selection, although there is a belle tire store not too far away. There is a tire rack center a couple hours away in which I could save $80 by picking them up myself, but would have to borrow my dad's old truck and it doesn't drive that well on the highway.

NO ... the 2" spacer is NOT going to work. That's why Modern Spare doesn't even offer it with their kit for 2021/2022 Challengers with 6-piston Brembo brakes. And ... it's why they're going with a larger wheel for their spare tire kit moving forward.

In fact ... I wouldn't take a chance on ANY 18" wheel clearing the brake caliper.

There are always Challenger/Charger owners selling their stock 20" wheels to go with aftermarket wheels. Keep an eye on message boards, eBay, and Facebook Marketplace and pick up a set of 20s and be done with it.

As others have said ... don't overthink this. Don't try to find the deal of the century. Don't modify your calipers.

Either buy a set of used 20s or drive the car with the factory 20s. If you choose the latter ... ceramic coat them and rinse them frequently. Thousands of people drive their cars all winter on the stock wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts