Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,071 Posts
It sounds like buyers remorse to me. You are nit-picking every little thing. These are trivial issues that are easy solved and are exactly what warranties are for.
ALSO, what many of the “haters” won’t tell you because they don’t know (or because they’re blind badge fanboys) is that many of the major components (like seats) of a car are actually manufactured by 3rd party companies. I happen to work in Quality Control for one of those companies, we make structural components for Ford and GM in the same building, by the same people using the same processes. We use the same industry quality standards that ALL OEMs follow the only real differences between vehicle brands these days is design and tolerance. We build them extremely similarly. Unfortunately, with any complicated mass production process, you will have defects slip through the cracks it’s a matter of statistics, that’s why warranties exist. ALL brands produce cars with defects from time to time some major, like the manual transmissions put in mustangs a few years back that were basically made of glass and would fail left and right or like your slightly loose seat fabric and maybe misaligned hood. No manufacturer is without the sin of defect.
Exactly. I LOVE my Challenger and have had a lot of cars in my driving years, some purchased as used and some as new. NONE of them were perfect. All mass produced vehicles will have imperfections and minor issues with components. Some will have more than others. If you want a car with perfect gaps and paint with high quality materials have Kindig build one for $500k. Good luck. Enjoy the Challenger as is. It's a beautiful car.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
"50 degrees and they were slick"
That is why I changed my order from Summer to A/S's at the last minute. Glad I did.
My car was on the showroom floor with summer F1's. I was befuddled as to why a car at a NYC dealer had them. Since I didn't plan on using the car after November or before March anyway I didn't mind too much. As soon as they needed replacement Continental DWS06 were the go to shoes. HUGE IMPROVEMENT! The 1320 is available with A/S tires as an option. I gave up a long time ago (2018) trying to figure out this purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
It is not available with A/S tires as an option or I would have done it. The 1320 only comes with drag radials. It has been a major headache trying to figure out what to do for the winter season. If I would have known it would be this difficult to get decent tires or put smaller wheels for the cold months, I would have gotten the WB or standard scat with the dynamics package.
My apologies about the A/S tires. Saw it listed on a 1320 Window sticker as 'STANDARD' but didn't see they were replaced by Drag Radials in the '1320 Package'.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
But you bought 18" wheels and that's where you went wrong. You should have just bought 20's out of the box.
Agree. Factory reproduction or aftermarket wheels with decent NEW winter tires will avoid any future problems created by piecing it together to make it fit.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I thought I was OCD. I remember being so irritated about my 1998 Ram SS/T's sagging headliner and fisheyes showing up in the paint just months after I bought it new. My dealership was a little aggravating to deal with, but they fixed it all under warranty. They even replaced the underhood mat that I had to pull out on the side of the interstate after a giant hole smoldered into it. They thought maybe a cigarette butt got lodged in there somehow. None of these issues ever came back.

Over the years, I have obsessed over every rock chip, ding, and scratch. My dash has even developed the infamous cracking. I have a couple scuffs on two of the wheels. The cassette deck doesn't work. There is a stain on the carpet. I have a big scratch on the windshield where a rock hit it. The leather seats have a couple cracks. The funny thing is, I am the only person who noitices the bumps and bruises. Everyone else sees a low mileage Dodge pickup that looks nearly new and has never had anything hauled in the virgin bed. I still love the truck and my Challenger. That's why I don't drive them in bad weather or daily to work.

I say all of that to say this: Just enjoy your car. Get the small issues fixed while it is still under warranty. Get a winter beater. You can find deals. I just bought my dad's old 2005 Dakata Quad Cab for $1500. I see all kinds of good cars under $3000 with plenty of life left in them. As for a Challenger vs. Mustang debate goes. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in quality between the two unless you get a manual. Both of them have their plusses and minuses. For every guy badmouthing his Challenger, I can find another badmouthing his Mustang. If you drive any car, it won't stay perfect long. A perfect car is a boring car.
I'm the same way. My Challenger isn't a daily so I try to keep it as pristine as possible but unfortunately just driving it creates blemishes. I notice everything. I got a rock chip within minutes of picking it up.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Interesting. So will the 2" spacer work? It looked close to us, but my dad thought more like another 1/4" or so so more like 2.25", but hate to go any wider than 1.5" with the spacers. He suggested as a last resort we could file down the caliper a bit, but don't want to go down that route at this point. I also wonder if the 18" wheels tire rack have listed will fit my car taking this into account? I sent them an email asking about the wheels I tentatively selected on their site. Too bad the 19" tires cost so much more or I would go with those, but looks like the 20" sets are a little less than the 19's but still about $400 more than the 18's. I guess I could shop around for more 19 or 20" tires, but it would be much easier (and most likely cheaper) to get them installed on the rims already. I looked on discount tire and belle tire and they are both more expensive with less of a selection, although there is a belle tire store not too far away. There is a tire rack center a couple hours away in which I could save $80 by picking them up myself, but would have to borrow my dad's old truck and it doesn't drive that well on the highway.
Please DO NOT file down the calipers. You will cause more issues than you are trying to avoid. Did you ever hear the phrase 'penny wise and pound foolish". Just get a good set of aftermarket, used OEM wheels OR your current wheels with decent winter or A/S tires. It may cost you a few $$ more now but you will save in the end by not having any mechanical failures that will cost more. Forget the smaller diameter wheels. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
This is unbelievable. You have a $50K car and are trying to cheap out on the most important aspect of motoring, where the rubber meets the road. Your car will handle like sh*t and look the same with wheel spacers the size you are considering. Just go to Voxx or Factory Reproductions and buy some Hellcat or Demon reps like most of us here, and buy some GOOD 20 inch all seasons or winter tires and be done with it. You don't have some sh*tbox Honda or something. Next time do your research before committing to something as important and expensive as a wheel/tire choice. I don't mean to be lecturing, but it's just common sense.
EXACTLY!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts