Dodge Challenger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
nothing like a winter beater
but, we have also veered off of the topic about the seats. has the dealer fixed the problem?
I haven't called them yet. I messaged the dealer I bought it from last week about my recent issues and he never replied, although it does look like he tried calling once. I was just going to let it go at this point at least until Spring.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I thought I was OCD. I remember being so irritated about my 1998 Ram SS/T's sagging headliner and fisheyes showing up in the paint just months after I bought it new. My dealership was a little aggravating to deal with, but they fixed it all under warranty. They even replaced the underhood mat that I had to pull out on the side of the interstate after a giant hole smoldered into it. They thought maybe a cigarette butt got lodged in there somehow. None of these issues ever came back.

Over the years, I have obsessed over every rock chip, ding, and scratch. My dash has even developed the infamous cracking. I have a couple scuffs on two of the wheels. The cassette deck doesn't work. There is a stain on the carpet. I have a big scratch on the windshield where a rock hit it. The leather seats have a couple cracks. The funny thing is, I am the only person who noitices the bumps and bruises. Everyone else sees a low mileage Dodge pickup that looks nearly new and has never had anything hauled in the virgin bed. I still love the truck and my Challenger. That's why I don't drive them in bad weather or daily to work.

I say all of that to say this: Just enjoy your car. Get the small issues fixed while it is still under warranty. Get a winter beater. You can find deals. I just bought my dad's old 2005 Dakata Quad Cab for $1500. I see all kinds of good cars under $3000 with plenty of life left in them. As for a Challenger vs. Mustang debate goes. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in quality between the two unless you get a manual. Both of them have their plusses and minuses. For every guy badmouthing his Challenger, I can find another badmouthing his Mustang. If you drive any car, it won't stay perfect long. A perfect car is a boring car.
Yeah, but I guess I have to decide if I want to continue to spend money getting it ready for winter (which I've already been doing) or bite the bullet and try to find a good beater. I do have a little cash in savings, but just hate to spend most of it and have little or no backup money in case of emergency. I should have a better savings by next winter though. There is usually plenty of hours to pick up at work, but I haven't been due to some physical issues and the fact conditions have been so bad the past few months. But I'm starting to feel better and it looks like staffing is starting to improve a bit.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,617 Posts
I haven't called them yet. I messaged the dealer I bought it from last week about my recent issues and he never replied, although it does look like he tried calling once. I was just going to let it go at this point at least until Spring.
I would try to get it looked at before spring. You could go in get the problems documented and then take it in later for repair.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
968 Posts
I would try to get it looked at before spring. You could go in get the problems documented and then take it in later for repair.
What @Dodgeguy said!

Remember ... you don't have to take it to the same dealer that you bought the car from. Your warranty is good at EVERY Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership. The dealership is getting reimbursed by Dodge for warranty work so they'll be glad to see you ... especially if you tell them that you like giving high scores on surveys. Ask around ... I'm sure there's a dealership near you that has a slightly better reputation than the others.

Hey ... I bought my car as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle at a Dodge dealership in Central Florida that is about 2.5 hours from me. And ... the car was originally purchased at a dealership in Ohio. There's no way I'm driving to either of those dealerships for warranty work. But I will drive a few extra miles to see the guys at Garber AutoMall in Green Cove Springs (about 40 minutes from me.) They have taken good care of me on every visit ... and that makes it worth the extra 15 minutes to get there.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Yeah, I thought of that too. But my dad thinks I should try the wheel spacers first. He also doesn't think the seat is a big deal. He thinks its just the way they get after you sit in them awhile. I don't know, I still think its loose but maybe not a big deal. I guess I can take it in to have it fixed at any time so maybe I should hold off until Spring that way I don't have to worry about it this winter and be as careful when eating in the car.
On my 1320 I can fit 17's on the front without spacers. You should be able to fit 18s on all four corners, unless the wheel isn't 5x115 or its offset is too much/not enough. Swap the wheels you have for a set of Charger steel wheels and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I dont know why they dont fit the fronts on my car and they fit on another scat pack. My wheel spacers arrived yesterday. 1.5" look huge, but I'll try them out later in the week. If they dont work, I may look into other wheels. Where can I find those steelys if I may ask?

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I dont know why they dont fit the fronts on my car and they fit on another scat pack. My wheel spacers arrived yesterday. 1.5" look huge, but I'll try them out later in the week. If they dont work, I may look into other wheels. Where can I find those steelys if I may ask?
1 1/2 " spacers???? Sorry, but you bought the wrong wheels, or the person who sold them to you grabbed the wrong set from the back of their truck.

Amazon, Summit Racing, Jegs, all advertise "Charger Steel Wheels", as does Steve White Motors, and East Coast Moparts.

Having witnessed your decision-making capabilities, that's as far as I'm willing to get involved.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well, they were close. Probably another 1/4" diameter clearance and they would fit. We are going to try the spacers on Friday. 1 or 1.25" may have worked, but I wanted to be sure so I went with the 1.5's.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You know, as much as you handwring over everything, you really should try to do things RIGHT. Seriously, spacers? I just don't get it.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,617 Posts
Well, they were close. Probably another 1/4" diameter clearance and they would fit. We are going to try the spacers on Friday. 1 or 1.25" may have worked, but I wanted to be sure so I went with the 1.5's.
Just curious did you see them on the Scat Pack or take the person's word? Maybe the person was selling them because they did not fit a Scat Pack. Craigslist ad?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well they are technically wheel adapters since the have bolts to secure to the car and basically just makes the track wider. So now it will be like a widebody on the front at least. I'll see how it drives first, but may end up doing the rears. We will see.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
OMG, the spacers did not work! The top of the caliper is still hitting the inside of the wheel. It looks like another 1/2 to more likely 3/4" might work, but don't think the sell over 2" adapters so I guess I'm SOL. We put the original wheels back on the front and left the 18's on the rear for now. So now I have to figure out how to return the spacers and try to sell the wheels I just bought. I don't know if there will be any takers this late into the season. I guess my only option is to order a new set from tire rack unless somebody has a suggestion? The cheapest 18" setup I found on there was around 1.6k if I got the TPMS with them. My dad thinks I should go with at least 19's, but I'm assuming the 18's they list should fit. Do you guys think I should call them first to be sure?

My dad also recommended going to an actual shop and trying one of the front wheels first, but I don't think there are any places near me that would sell a complete set of wheels and tires anywhere near what tire rack charges. I'm also thinking of resuming my search for a winter beater in the 1.5k ballpark, but I don't know as there doesn't seem to be as many for sale now either and then I would have to worry about how reliable it would be.

·
Registered
968 Posts
OMG, the spacers did not work! The top of the caliper is still hitting the inside of the wheel. It looks like another 1/2 to more likely 3/4" might work, but don't think the sell over 2" adapters so I guess I'm SOL. We put the original wheels back on the front and left the 18's on the rear for now. So now I have to figure out how to return the spacers and try to sell the wheels I just bought. I don't know if there will be any takers this late into the season. I guess my only option is to order a new set from tire rack unless somebody has a suggestion? The cheapest 18" setup I found on there was around 1.6k if I got the TPMS with them. My dad thinks I should go with at least 19's, but I'm assuming the 18's they list should fit. Do you guys think I should call them first to be sure?

My dad also recommended going to an actual shop and trying one of the front wheels first, but I don't think there are any places near me that would sell a complete set of wheels and tires anywhere near what tire rack charges. I'm also thinking of resuming my search for a winter beater in the 1.5k ballpark, but I don't know as there doesn't seem to be as many for sale now either and then I would have to worry about how reliable it would be.
Okay ... I did a little research and I don't think it's you. I was going to refer you to Modern Spare to get one of their 2" spacers because it's what they offer to allow people to use an 18" spare in the front with the 6-piston Brembo brakes.

Well ... It appears that Dodge (or Brembo) changed something in the brakes (I'm guessing the size of the 6-piston caliper from what you said) for 2021/2022 vehicles with 6-piston front Brembo brakes. And that's why your 18" wheels won't fit on the front even with a 2" spacer. BTW ... the spacer works just fine for 2008-2020 cars with 6-piston Brembo brakes in the front.

Here's a link to the Modern Spare website with their 2021/2022 disclaimer: Modern Spare - 2021/2022 Spare Tire Size Issue

Modern Spare said:

* 2021 Dodge Models with factory-installed 6-piston front Brembo Brake Calipers.

Please note- If your Dodge has the 6 piston front brake calipers (Brembo), the current wheel we offer will not have adequate clearance over these large brakes although the spare will fit over the smaller 4-piston Brembo Brakes without issue. The spare can still be easily used if you have a failed front tire by installing the spare on the rear wheel and placing the rear factory tire on the front. Although not as convenient, this method has been used effectively for rare models with these exceptionally large brakes. In the fall of 2021, Modern Spare will offer a kit option with a larger wheel that will have clearance over these large brakes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Interesting. So will the 2" spacer work? It looked close to us, but my dad thought more like another 1/4" or so so more like 2.25", but hate to go any wider than 1.5" with the spacers. He suggested as a last resort we could file down the caliper a bit, but don't want to go down that route at this point. I also wonder if the 18" wheels tire rack have listed will fit my car taking this into account? I sent them an email asking about the wheels I tentatively selected on their site. Too bad the 19" tires cost so much more or I would go with those, but looks like the 20" sets are a little less than the 19's but still about $400 more than the 18's. I guess I could shop around for more 19 or 20" tires, but it would be much easier (and most likely cheaper) to get them installed on the rims already. I looked on discount tire and belle tire and they are both more expensive with less of a selection, although there is a belle tire store not too far away. There is a tire rack center a couple hours away in which I could save $80 by picking them up myself, but would have to borrow my dad's old truck and it doesn't drive that well on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,231 Posts
Interesting. So will the 2" spacer work? It looked close to us, but my dad thought more like another 1/4" or so so more like 2.25", but hate to go any wider than 1.5" with the spacers. He suggested as a last resort we could file down the caliper a bit, but don't want to go down that route at this point. I also wonder if the 18" wheels tire rack have listed will fit my car taking this into account? I sent them an email asking about the wheels I tentatively selected on their site. Too bad the 19" tires cost so much more or I would go with those, but looks like the 20" sets are a little less than the 19's but still about $400 more than the 18's. I guess I could shop around for more 19 or 20" tires, but it would be much easier (and most likely cheaper) to get them installed on the rims already. I looked on discount tire and belle tire and they are both more expensive with less of a selection, although there is a belle tire store not too far away. There is a tire rack center a couple hours away in which I could save $80 by picking them up myself, but would have to borrow my dad's old truck and it doesn't drive that well on the highway.
Please DO NOT file down the calipers. You will cause more issues than you are trying to avoid. Did you ever hear the phrase 'penny wise and pound foolish". Just get a good set of aftermarket, used OEM wheels OR your current wheels with decent winter or A/S tires. It may cost you a few $$ more now but you will save in the end by not having any mechanical failures that will cost more. Forget the smaller diameter wheels. Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is unbelievable. You have a $50K car and are trying to cheap out on the most important aspect of motoring, where the rubber meets the road. Your car will handle like sh*t and look the same with wheel spacers the size you are considering. Just go to Voxx or Factory Reproductions and buy some Hellcat or Demon reps like most of us here, and buy some GOOD 20 inch all seasons or winter tires and be done with it. You don't have some sh*tbox Honda or something. Next time do your research before committing to something as important and expensive as a wheel/tire choice. I don't mean to be lecturing, but it's just common sense.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,231 Posts
This is unbelievable. You have a $50K car and are trying to cheap out on the most important aspect of motoring, where the rubber meets the road. Your car will handle like sh*t and look the same with wheel spacers the size you are considering. Just go to Voxx or Factory Reproductions and buy some Hellcat or Demon reps like most of us here, and buy some GOOD 20 inch all seasons or winter tires and be done with it. You don't have some sh*tbox Honda or something. Next time do your research before committing to something as important and expensive as a wheel/tire choice. I don't mean to be lecturing, but it's just common sense.
EXACTLY!

·
Registered
363 Posts
this here is a fact, for the love of god just call tire rack and have them set you up with the cheapest steel wheels and tires that will fit. you dont technically need tpms sensors so if you want to be cheap pass on them and just suffer till spring with the light, really it is no big deal.

return the crappy spacers/sell the other tires/rims and do it once the right way and maybe then you can be happy till spring....

·
Registered
968 Posts

NO ... the 2" spacer is NOT going to work. That's why Modern Spare doesn't even offer it with their kit for 2021/2022 Challengers with 6-piston Brembo brakes. And ... it's why they're going with a larger wheel for their spare tire kit moving forward.

In fact ... I wouldn't take a chance on ANY 18" wheel clearing the brake caliper.

There are always Challenger/Charger owners selling their stock 20" wheels to go with aftermarket wheels. Keep an eye on message boards, eBay, and Facebook Marketplace and pick up a set of 20s and be done with it.

As others have said ... don't overthink this. Don't try to find the deal of the century. Don't modify your calipers.

Either buy a set of used 20s or drive the car with the factory 20s. If you choose the latter ... ceramic coat them and rinse them frequently. Thousands of people drive their cars all winter on the stock wheels.

81 - 100 of 239 Posts