Dodge Challenger Forum banner
101 - 120 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
i just left the tire rack site and with cheap aluminum mags and mid grade tires you are looking at 1450 delivered, mounted and balanced no tpms, for your challenger

sometimes a good lesson costs a lot, you just learned one buying tires form some clown without having them put them on your car or seeing them on their car, then you think dodge screwed up and put the wrong parts on your car. buy once cry once get the right stuff and move on.

i just ordered a winter set for my teenage daughter's car if you would like i can post a pic of how well they fit once i install the parts from a reputable source....good luck with the spacers

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts
Ok everyone, you can continue to beat this dead horse of poor judgement all you want. I am done. My time is worth something. Moving on to let this insanity manifest to it's inevitable disastrous outcome.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Big Brakes. That's what happens when smaller wheels don't fit. I have the optional Big brakes on the Grand Cherokee due to the Tow package and other heavy duty stuff I ordered. Stock wheels are 18". Went with 17" for my snow tires but they barely clear the brake calipers. Like less than 1/4". The dealer guy swore they would not fit. But I took a chance and won. Just got lucky and saved a bunch of money on the 17" wheels. BTW... Stock rotors are 300mm's & The big brakes use 35.6mm rotors. That's why 17" rims barely clear because the caliper sits farther out on the knuckle.
-John

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Well I emailed tire rack to make sure those 18's would fit and they said they guarantee it, but I wonder if they know that Dodge changed the calipers slightly for 21 and is why the front wheels are not fitting. I spec'd out the cheapest tires and next to cheapest 18" rims (they look better IMO) and with tpms, come to about 1.6k. I may be able to include a 4% rebate if it works. I think I'll ask them if they can get the inside diameter though and compare it to the wheels I have. I'm already wondering what I'm going to do in the Spring as I would like some all seasons rather that the crappy drag radials for 99% of the time daily use. I'm thinking probably just changing the tires out for now, but those stock rims are a PIA to clean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well I emailed tire rack to make sure those 18's would fit and they said they guarantee it, but I wonder if they know that Dodge changed the calipers slightly for 21 and is why the front wheels are not fitting. I spec'd out the cheapest tires and next to cheapest 18" rims (they look better IMO) and with tpms, come to about 1.6k. I may be able to include a 4% rebate if it works. I think I'll ask them if they can get the inside diameter though and compare it to the wheels I have. I'm already wondering what I'm going to do in the Spring as I would like some all seasons rather that the crappy drag radials for 99% of the time daily use. I'm thinking probably just changing the tires out for now, but those stock rims are a PIA to clean.
if the 18's you have dont fit, no way id order up another set of 18's, the inner diameter is likely pretty much all the same from 1 18" rim to the next...tire rack as good as they are are not perfect either.

why not just get a set of 19 or 20" and be done, i mean you seem to be a glutton for punishment, but everyone has their threshold.

as for cleaning the rims, just get some decent cleaner and it is easy,not as easy as swapping in some powerstop pads and stopping the dust in it's tracks but still a good cleaner is worth it's weight in gold.

as for the drag radials, yep they suck on the street as guess what they were made for.....drag racing not constantly changing daily driver street conditions....i mean seriously you research for years and now seem surprised to get exactly what you ordered.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
That's why I had such a hard time deciding as I knew I would need another set or two of wheels and tires with this trim, but didn't think it would be this difficult. Now I see I should have went with the WB, but it would also have had issues in the winter. As for the wheels, 19's would be great, but they are ridiculously expensive for some reason. I really don't want 20's for winter so I'm either going to keep it as it is with the stocks on the front, try to find another 18" set that will work or maybe just order a 20" set with good AS like Continental DWS and take my chances this winter. That may be the way to go as I used them in the winter in one of my previous cars with no issues. But then again those were 18" wheels and the 20's have alot less sidewall so the ride will be stiffer and not as good in the snow.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
124 Posts
By the time you get done trying to cheap out and getting bit in the butt and having to pay more for the lesson learned you will probably end up spending as much as you would have buying a winter beater car and parking the nice one in the first place when you account for wasted time and frustration. “Buy once, cry once" is a phrase that most people learn the hard way and you my friend are in the process of learning it the hardest way I’ve ever seen. I have an ultra-clean 06 Explorer V8 4x4 that I bought for $4500 that sits in the driveway unless it rains, snows or I need to get something big home. It paid for itself the first surprise hailstorm (forecast only called for rain) that we had when I was at work because the Scat was at home in the garage and I couldn’t care less about a few dings on a beater. Plus it lets me put off swapping out the terrible OE Eagle RSA’s for DWS06’s because the car isn’t driven in even wet weather. Do what you will but buying a $50k+ car then cheaping out on parts (i.e. incorrect wheels, using spacers, etc) or ways to protect it is a recipe for disaster in the future.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I didn't cheap out. I actually bought the wheels before I got the car because they seemed like a good deal. They would have been if they would have fit, but there was no way knowing that at the time. I'm just trying to figure out what to do at the moment to get a safe car to drive for the season. I have about 2k in savings so if somebody could direct me to a reliable beater for around that price I would be all ears. I'm even thinking about taking a loan out on a slightly more expensive 4x4, but don't know if that is a good idea or not? I'm still going to have to buy another set of wheels or tires come Spring or Summer anyway so I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
139 Posts
By the time you get done trying to cheap out and getting bit in the butt and having to pay more for the lesson learned you will probably end up spending as much as you would have buying a winter beater car and parking the nice one in the first place when you account for wasted time and frustration. “Buy once, cry once" is a phrase that most people learn the hard way and you my friend are in the process of learning it the hardest way I’ve ever seen. I have an ultra-clean 06 Explorer V8 4x4 that I bought for $4500 that sits in the driveway unless it rains, snows or I need to get something big home. It paid for itself the first surprise hailstorm (forecast only called for rain) that we had when I was at work because the Scat was at home in the garage and I couldn’t care less about a few dings on a beater. Plus it lets me put off swapping out the terrible OE Eagle RSA’s for DWS06’s because the car isn’t driven in even wet weather. Do what you will but buying a $50k+ car then cheaping out on parts (i.e. incorrect wheels, using spacers, etc) or ways to protect it is a recipe for disaster in the future.
This makes too much sense to be posted in an online forum.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I didn't cheap out. I actually bought the wheels before I got the car because they seemed like a good deal. They would have been if they would have fit, but there was no way knowing that at the time. I'm just trying to figure out what to do at the moment to get a safe car to drive for the season. I have about 2k in savings so if somebody could direct me to a reliable beater for around that price I would be all ears. I'm even thinking about taking a loan out on a slightly more expensive 4x4, but don't know if that is a good idea or not? I'm still going to have to buy another set of wheels or tires come Spring or Summer anyway so I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go.
The most cost effective way is probably buying a set of winter tires that will fit your OE wheels that you currently have on the car. That way you aren’t screwing around with buying another set of wheels (more money) and you know the stock wheels fit. You can sell the tires that came on the car and recoup some of the cost since you don’t like them, I promise someone will want them. Then when spring rolls around you buy the tires you really want on the car (do your research this winter so you are ready).

Right now you are looking at spending money on winter wheels AND tires, why not buy just tires, save yourself $500-$1k or so by not buying wheels? $500-$1k will buy a lot of wheel cleaner and car washes to keep the stock ones nice. You can save up (do lots of research) and do something different next winter if you don’t like how that works out but it’s now December and winter weather is knocking. Time to cut your losses and do something. When trying to save money remember, K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple, Stupid) is usually the best way…

·
Registered
195 Posts
just get a decent set of all season tires then for your factory rims, no need at all for dedicated snow tires. you will just have to understand you are making a compromise in the summer as all seasons will certainly not stick like summers or the drag radials and wont perform like winter tires either in the snow.

.That way you are ready for spring and you wont need to post about what kind of tires you need then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
just get a decent set of all season tires then for your factory rims, no need at all for dedicated snow tires. you will just have to understand you are making a compromise in the summer as all seasons will certainly not stick like summers or the drag radials and wont perform like winter tires either in the snow.

.That way you are ready for spring and you wont need to post about what kind of tires you need then.
This is honestly probably the best advice. I personally have experience with Continental DWS06’s on my 2020 RT and they were phenomenal in the snow.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
139 Posts

So let me get this right. Putting a 20” all season on a drag specific car will solve this guys winter woes? You can’t be serious or over the age of 16.
‘This guy lives somewhere in NE Ohio. He is just now realizing he is totally Ef’d this winter. An AS tire swap, spacers, or sled dog’s won’t help this guy.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Michelin Cross Climate-2 Tires. They got them to fit your stock rims. Then you can sell the drag radials. Check them out on YouTube. Rave reviews all over the place. People even claim they are better than dedicated snow tires. Just a thought FWIW
-John

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So let me get this right. Putting a 20” all season on a drag specific car will solve this guys winter woes? You can’t be serious or over the age of 16.
‘This guy lives somewhere in NE Ohio. He is just now realizing he is totally Ef’d this winter. An AS tire swap, spacers, or sled dog’s won’t help this guy.
He should still be OK, it's not like it's a Hellcat or Demon. All he has to do is control his right foot. I drive my SP year round on the original tires without too much drama.

Reactions: 87GN

·
Registered
195 Posts
yep, some all seasons in as narrow of a tire as his rims will take should be able to get him thru the winter, for 20 years i have driven rear wheel drive cars through Minnesota winters that are worse than NE Ohio. just because you think it is impossible driving in snow doesn't mean everyone else does.

as for the 1320 being drag specific that is true but it has the same road clearance as any other rwd challenger and it has limited slip that some dont, Id have zero issue running it all winter her in MN you just need to understand it's limitations on ice and snow.

there are numerous challengers up here leased that run around all winter,i talked to a guy with a leased widebody hellcat out Christmas shopping last year in the snow , they have snow plows for a reason up here typically out running when there is a inch of snow.

now to be clear i would buy dedicated winter tires and rims, but if you cant afford them then you sometimes have to bite the bullet and make compromises, that is what A all season tire is ....a compromise.

not everyone has wants or needs a 4x4 to venture out in the snow, sure they are best suited for it but this is not 1950 out in the middle of Montanna we are talking here, most major cities in the snowbelt have zero issues clearing the roads

101 - 120 of 227 Posts